Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

vintage string ferrules question

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Major Gruber, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    When a vintage guitare has had string ferrules changed from flush to protruding, is there a way to change them and go back to flush, or did the setting of the second model implied an enlargement of the hole or anything that makes impossible the return to flush?

2. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 8, 2004
    DFW, Texas
    Not written in stone

Not written in stone but generally;
    The flush mounted ferrule is 3/8 inch diameter and uses a 3/8 inch diameter hole just deep enough to seat the bushing flush.

The raised bushing is 5/16 inch diameter with a 3/8 inch diameter head or flange and uses a 5/16 inch diameter hole which is seated with the head or flange against the back of the guitar.

In some cases the flanged type ferrules are also flush with the back. Those require a 3/8 diameter counter bore along with the 5/16 inch bore.

Having said all that, if you have protruding heads, it is not likely that the body ever had flush ferrules OR the holes were plugged and reworked at some point.

If you have protruding heads and want them flush for cosmetics sake.... add the 3/8 inch counter bore (the depth of the flange thickness) and seat them back in place.
    Hope this is helpful,
    Rob

3. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France

Thanks for this answer, I will study it carefully, converting inches in mm. Actually it's on a 1956 body, so it's supposed to have been flush originaly. I don't know why one ever change ferrules on a body. They don't look all the same and they don't have same height on top of the body (one is even almost flushed). So, I've purchased old vintage ferrules that are supposed to be flush model and will bring the whole thing to my excellent luthier to check how it can be sorted.

4. Smiletone

Smiletone TDPRI Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Michigan
    I have a 66 telly. It is without a doubt all original. The ferrules are protruding just like the one's on the latter 67's. Always assumed that someone forgot to counter sink the body
    for the ferrules at the factory. These ferrules have never been replaced.
    Has anyone else ever seen a pre '67 telecaster with these protruding ferrules?
    The guitar has a Sept. 66 neck with Kluson tuners, threaded saddles and transition logo.
    Duchossoir book states:
    "The Telecaster guitars produced between 1950 and 1966 have recessed string ferrules which are flush with the body. On post-1966 models the ferrules are clearly protruding on the back of the body, but after the CBS spin-off the newly-independent Fender company reverted to flush ferrules". I know anything is possible with these transition years.
    Appreciate any thoughts on this.

5. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France

Duchossoir is the richest mine of information about Telecasters, but a sentence as simple as this one must be red with nuances, because reality was more complex. Most probably the changing happened during 1966. So the situation is clear before and after 1966 and I seems logical to meet both during the year. I'm not surprised that a September could have the new specs. I have a big collection of pictures of Telecasters from 1966 and even if I have no way to know if ferrules have been change, I see only flush ferrules during first half of the year, and almost only protruding, with some exceptions, starting from September.

6. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 18, 2003
    UK
    It may be possible too, I think, that if there has been a re-finish in the guitar's history, that the ferrules just haven't been put back flush, and they are sitting on the paint that has accumulated in the lip of the counter-bore. They have to be heated to go in flush.

7. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    That is very interesting, there definitely has been a re-finish and as I mentionned, one of the ferrules is almost flush. In fact, the edges of the ferrules are sharp, when I've noticed that protruding ferrules usually have round edges…
    Maybe I bought vintage ferrules for nothing (at least they weren't too expensive).

8. Smiletone

Smiletone TDPRI Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Michigan
    Is it possible that this wasn't a change but an accident. All other 66 and 67 telly's I have up through Oct of '67 have the the flush ferrules. Always thought the gradual changes that took place in the fall of '67 (saddles, tuners and decal) was due to the depletion of inventory.
    Never thought of this as a change to the guitar but maybe an over sight. They are the same ferrules on all the guitars. Just not seated into the guitar. I suppose it is possible they were just never seated properly. I wonder if the drilling was done by accident with a
    different size drill and to compensate they stopped counter sinking them.
    Just food for thought.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.