Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Vintage output GFS humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by HarveyTBirdman, Jun 10, 2013.

1. HarveyTBirdman

HarveyTBirdman Tele-Meister

May 29, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld.
    I have Dimarzio PAFs and super distortions in my guitars.

I'm getting a MIJ Squier Strat HSS this week and want go upgrade the pups so they are similar in tone to my other guitars so I don't need to change effects or amp settings when gigging.

GFS seem to get good reviews, and they are a bit better than spending 140 plus a pop on duncans or dimarzios. Anyone have their PAF copies? Are the good reviews accurate?

Cheers.

2. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

Apr 30, 2013
    east
    Don't feel too bad. I posted a thread asking about GFS
    mini humbuckers, and got nothing.

Wish I could help.

3. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I've got one "Crunchy Pat" in the bridge of a parts guitar.

Not much to say other than it's a nice not-too-high output humbucker. Worth the cost to me, and I'd certainly use one again for a cheap import upgrade or parts build.

I've also got a set of Retrotrons (Liverpool Vintage wound) and love them, but they're shooting for an entirely different sound with those.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    I've tried a few GFS pickups (generally been happy, been very happy with my alnico 50s tele bridge pickups). Over the past few years, I've seen lots of love on this forum for their PAF clones. I haven't tried them, but if I were trying out humbuckers, it's probably where I'd start.

[​IMG]

6. HarveyTBirdman

HarveyTBirdman Tele-Meister

May 29, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld.
    Cheers guys. The price is right, so one thing left to do. I'll report back when they arrive.

7. 5foot2

5foot2 Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2010
    Maine, USA
    I haven't used the HB's, but I'm running a set of A2 single coils in a strat and a pair of P-90's in another strat. both sound great and had no issues with the pups.

8. sass35011

sass35011 Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    I've had a set of the GFS Fat PAT Humbuckers in my HH Tele Clone for quite a while, and I really like them. Just ordered a set of the VEH Humbuckers for my semi-hollow Samick Royale. Looking forward to getting them installed. Overall, I have had good experience with the GFS humbucker pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.