'Vintage' or die-cast type tuners? (for tele baritone)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by SecretSquirrel, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:35 PM.

1. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Before I order a Warmoth baritone conversion neck, I need to decide between the "vintage" style tuners (9mm hole) and the beefier, more modern die-cast tuners (10mm hole). If anyone can take a stab at answering some questions, thanks in advance.

Are the vintage style tuners (stamped metal) significantly lighter weight than the die-cast type?

Is there any functional difference between the two types? I've been happy with both kinds on guitars in the past, but maybe the die-cast ones are superior?

Is a 19:1 gear ratio better than 15:1?

I'm looking at the Wilkinson "EZ-Lok" tuners, which are available in both types for about $30 and should be "good enough."

I did do a site search, but didn't see those specific questions. However, in a 2006 thread, RomanS advised that the peg holes were only big enough to take a .052 string, and the baritone set I use has a .068 low B — so has that changed or will I have to enlarge the low B hole?

(I like the two holes in the EZ-Lok posts; the lower ones for the high strings should eliminate string trees. I wouldn't use both holes to "lock" the low strings, I'd just string them normally.)

This is the first time I'm choosing tuners for a parts guitar, so any advice is appreciated.

2. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

I prefer the vintage tuners to any tuner I have ever used, but that's just me. The locking tuners always seem to have something that could go awry, simple is better is my motto.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Thanks, good to know. I'm avoiding the locking tuners with the knob, to keep the headstock weight down.

In case anyone is unsure of the two types I'm referring to, this is Vintage:

Wilkinson Deluxe Vintage EZ-LOK TUNERS 15to1.JPG
    And this is the modern die-cast style:

Wilkinson die-cast EX-lok copy.jpg

Cheshiergrin likes this.
  4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

I would choose whichever was available with a Safe-T-Post. IMO, the design has never been improved upon.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  5. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant TDPRI Member

Gotoh makes a Kluson-like no-knob locking tuner, TK-0779 SD91, that imo is great, best of both worlds, etc. From Allparts, $70. Lighter tuners probably are a plus on a longer-neck guitar. I've never noticed any practical difference btw ratios and how long one stays in tune versus the other. Overall good setup is the key! Far as taking a .068, I can only tell you "probably." Maybe that's the Safe-T part of the Safe-T-Post. Good luck with your build.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 12:34 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.