Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vintage Noiseless and the Jerry Donahue Wiring

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Butch Snyder, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Trenton, OH
    I have a Jerry Donahue wiring assembly (switch, pots, and all wiring) from 920D Custom Shop. Their drawing show to ground the neck pickup cover. Makes sense, but what about with the Vintage Noiseless pickups? Still ground the cover, or is it not necessary?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Butch Snyder

Mar 17, 2003
    Trenton, OH
    Well shoot, never mind. Just realized that the JD assembly has 250k pots. The Vintage Noiseless need 1Meg ohm. Way too much stuff in there to change the pots.

3. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    Dimarzio Area T - have them on a 68 tele and are a huge improvement over my 1968 pickups plus the price is good. The original neck p/u went dead and the bridge original was a noisy ice-pick industrial dentist drill. Maybe good for country, everyone seems to lust after vintage pickups but IMO the Area T are way better.

Am using 250K pots which Dimarzio recommends if I remember. Just great for recording or noisy venues with neon lights or whatever. And when I play at home the buzz is gone. Also I sometimes change configuration to a neck Dimarzio DP211 Eric Johnson humbucker as the guitar was cut many years ago and I have 2 different pickguards...the HB also works great with 250K pots, plenty of top end in both, doesn't overpower the bridge like a PAF did.

Great clean sound and work well with OD. Some players here have mentioned that they are hi-fi sounding a bit but not for me. You can drop them right in and don't have to be concerned about neck ground wiring but may need to run a plain wire from the back of a pot to ground the bridge if it wasn't done. Also the neck has to be wired backwards or will probably be out of phase in the middle position.

I don't see the point in spending large amounts of $$$ for high-end boutique noiseless after using these and I never replace a Fender p/u with another Fender p/u - just a habit formed over the years.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  4. Butch Snyder

Mar 17, 2003
    Trenton, OH
    I actually took the plunge and transferred all components to the 1 Meg ohm pots. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The only thing I had to be wary of was the nonconductive paint in the control cavity. Covering the switch electrical tape solved that. Mission accomplished.

[​IMG]

5. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    Forgot to mention above - Area T are taller than stock pickups so some of the adjustment is gone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.