Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vintage Modified Custom

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Howie22, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Howie22

Howie22 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2015
    N Carolina
    Pulled the trigger on a used VM Custom. Supposedly in mint condition, still with the film on the pickguard.

Got it with a hard case for a song. Should arrive Tuesday.

Going to gut it and replace the electronics.

Thinking of upgrading the bridge and having a pickguard cut for a standard humbucker

Does anyone know what bridge options might easily fit without mods?

Do the pickguards on these match with the regular Fender '72 Customs? I see warmoth has an option for that.

nadnitram likes this.

2. nadnitram

nadnitram TDPRI Member

Jun 6, 2012
    North Canton, Ohio
    A. Pictures!
    B. How did this post go nearly a month without a reply?
    C. My VM Custom (hanging on the wall in my profile pic) came with two humbuckers. I know that there is also a 2-P90 version. What's your config?
    D. Pictures!
    D. Before gutting it, play it. My stock Custom kicks some royal behind! The headstock says Squier, but it's no joke.

3. Howie22

Howie22 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2015
    N Carolina
    This is the neck bucker and bridge single coil version

I just didn't like it. Trying to sell it now.

Had to replace the 3 way switch and fix a tone knob. Gave it a setup. It's okay, just didn't love it

Bought a Nashville Deluxe instead

4. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Don't live in North Carolina, but I if I would, I wouldn't think twice about buying a Squier '72 custom. I Love mine. I got me a second VM Custom II (with the P90s) for the same reason when the opportunity presented itself. The first one was great, and so was the second one.

I am interested in the Nashville Deluxe however, and hope one will find its way to my place sometime. It's the only one in the fender lineup right now that I would buy right away. (although I love the idea of owning the artist models from two of my guitar heroes James Burton and Brad Paisley).
    Did you post your review (and pictures) of it here on this forum somewhere. If so, would you post the link as a reply here?

5. Howie22

Howie22 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2015
    N Carolina
    I never even did a NGD post on the Nashville.

Played it at rehearsal last night. I liked it quite a bit. I'm trying to decide what to do about the pickups.

I have a hot set of Fralins that need a guitar to go into, and I've got a Duncan Five Two bridge and a Twisted Tele neck in my butterscotch ash tele.

I'm sort of tempted to drop the Fralins into that Nashville and let it be more of my blues/rock guitar. Then leave the butterscotch as my country twanger.

Downside would be that I'd have to get a new pickup for the middle position, as the Fralins need 500k pots and would be higher output than the middle

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.