Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vintage (brand name) guitars???

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by hugo, Jan 11, 2009.

1. hugo

hugo Former Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Canada
    Anybody know anything about these guitars?
    I was out of town at a guitar shop and saw these there. The dude said they're well crafted but because they're (I think) made in vietnam that people tend to stay away from them. He thought they were great.
    I needless to say didn't buy one without doing some investigating.
    The fit and finish seemed fine but I didn't have time to try one out.
    Any feedback?? No pun intended.

H

2. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    I always respond to these enquiries as I have played some in UK shops and like them a lot .Well designed and made though I am sure the odd duffer gets through like most imports .Trev Wilkinson did the designing ,though it should really read ,modifying ,as most are other makers basic designs,.The Les Paul lemon drop is superb judging by reviews and I loved their S types ..Worth the money it seems .I would prefer a Vintage Strat , 335 or Les Paul to the other cloned alternatives .I did buy an Epiphone Dot but after playing a Vintage 335 ,wish I had bought it instead .The ones I played were Chinese
    .http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html
    hope it helps

3. Flip Downey

Flip Downey NEW MEMBER!

Jul 21, 2011
    Lewiston, Idaho
    I own a v100 gold top modified to fit regular humbuckers and boy it is great. I have played it with gibson lps and it holds it own. Not as nice really but damn it sounds great. I have an SG too but have never played an SG before this guitar. I am weirded out by the light body. Are they all like that? I know they are all neck heavy but this seems out of order. I do like the sg though more every time I pick it up.

I recommend replacing the pup in any of them though.

4. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Horsham, UK
    They seem to get good press over here.
    I have a Vintage acoustic which lives in a dropped tuning (currently varying between CGCFCF and CFCFCFC). It needed a major set-up when I bought it, but otherwise sounded good. Now it plays nice and sounds nice. It's not a Martin, but then it cost about a 10th the price....
    I have also played their version of the ES335 and that seemed real good for the price though I went for the Epi dot in the end...

Ezrem likes this.

5. IB62

IB62 Tele-Holic

Jan 12, 2010
    UK
    I own the Strat (relic) and the Les paul (V100 i think)
    Both were well made - the Les paul is very nice- better than my Epi (brighter more "alive" - but a class or two below my Gibson Classic

The strat - looks cheesy but, in my view, played as well as, and sounded as good as my 80's MIJ strat

Both great guitars- weirdly they seem cheaper in the UK, than the US & canada

6. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2009
    Germany
    I use to have the "Les Paul" type of them, soundwise better than most Epiphones...

7. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Not so weird; it's a UK company. I've never actually seen one over here.

8. IB62

IB62 Tele-Holic

Jan 12, 2010
    UK
    Ah- i thought JHS were just the UK distributors- and the Vintage brand would be distributed elsewhere by someone else, as they are all of Far eastern manufacture (I guess0

9. Gareth John

Gareth John Tele-Afflicted

Oct 10, 2006
    England
    JHS distributes them and they get really over the top cheesy reviews in the free magazine "gear" which is really just a JHS catalogue. Their endorsers include lists of "has beens" and "up and coming next big things". Trev Wilkinson no doubt has some good designs but gets more credit than he deserves for some of these copies. I've seen a few in the shops, and they range from not bad looking to absoloubtly terrible. I think they're very inconsistant, some I've picked up had very sharp fret ends.
    Their LP models have a "mahogany" body, and the binding is very thin so I think the maple top is just vaneer. I also noticed the headstocks were not the usual LP angle. In my opinion, Epiphone wins hand down. The Strat types don't look much better in my opinion, again, sharp fret ends and awful looking headstock and logo. If you see any of their relic jobs, you'll notice that they range from passable from a distance to hideous from any range.
    You can probably tell I've never acutally bought one of these, but all the hype in magazines and exciting promises make me seek them out. For example, they have Slash, Bonamassa and Clapton type models for an unbelievable price.
    I'd definately say try before you buy, and if you like it then great. I think they mostly appeal to men 50+ and 13 year olds on a budget. I think this is the most opinionated I've ever been in one of my posts.

10. berkstin

berkstin NEW MEMBER!

Aug 19, 2011
    Berzerkeley, CA
    I have one of these on backorder - it's a 52 Tele replica. I played a few at a little shop up in Eureka and they're really, really nice for the price. I will say the LP copy I played had something weird going on with the pickups, but the Tele and Strats were phenomenal. Fast, well-made necks, great electronics, brass saddle bridges, the works.

So, here's the story I heard from the guys in this shop, one of whom claims to have met Trev at NAMM. He said Fender (and maybe Gibson?) owe him a bunch of money for custom parts and design fees and whatnot, so he started the Vintage line as a sort of f*** you to them. Don't know if it's true but they're so much like a real tele I could see him getting sued, assuming they're not afraid of him countersuing for unpaid invoices. Who knows, maybe it was all a sales ploy. In any case all the sales pitch I needed was playing one. Plays as nice as my MIM Deluxe for half the price.

11. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    I'm considering a V100. By all accounts, they're at least comparable to Epiphones and as cheap as chips used or as B-stock.

12. dstuart

dstuart Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2011
    Worthing, UK
    they are very good, basic playable guitars. There a lot more common in the UK, I've played quite a few and own a vintage dreadnought acoustic generally they have good hardware and pickups (by trev wilkinson) and some love 'em to bits... so far I've never heard of anyone who's picked one up and said they're bad guitars....

13. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    A friend of mine has a nice Spruce/Mahogany Dread- looks and plays fine, with no sprout, or other obvious flaws.

14. Jeff R

Jeff R Tele-Holic

May 2, 2010
    White Rock BC
    Got one, a V-???? Gold Top w/ P-90's. Way hotter than my PRS or my Gibson. Plays about as well. If I were a LP kinda guy I'd probably rant and rave, it has a special place in my herd but not in the top five. If you want an LP style and sound but don't want to spend $3K plus, it's more worthy than any of the Epi's I looked at including the '56 reissue.

15. goddardo

goddardo Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2010
    UK
    I just scored a V100 Lemondrop on ebay for a song.
    I must say, it's one of the nicest playing, sounding guitars I've had in a long time. I recently bought a superb SG P90 Classic & the Lemondrop is my current go-to guitar. Yes, the frets need some work, so I took it to the tech today for a bone nut & fret dress, but it's absolutely worth doing to get it even better.
    I have played 30 odd years & had just about everything available so I feel qualified to comment.

16. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

It seems to me that using the name Vintage would render web searches for the brand name difficult, sort of like finding songs by The The.

Our local craigslist does have the odd Vintage brand guitar listed. There's a Strat-shaped model with 3 P-90 style pickups that pops up every few weeks, but I haven't tried one in person.

17. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

The opposite in my experience.
    Searching on ebay for "vintage" comes up with loads of listings for these guitars.

I have played a few, they seem pretty good to me. They do a lovely LP Special type with P90s which plays nice and can be got cheap too.

The Wilkinson pickups in them are pretty good too

18. lagator

lagator TDPRI Member

May 5, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Zombie thread.

I found it by searching for guitars with the "Vintage" brand label, but not the Wilkinson affiliated 2000's MIC type. The ones I'm trying to find info on seem to be 1970's or 80's, classic 3 single coil Strats (maybe other models as well), and extremely high quality, MIJ and possibly some association with Greco brand?

Anyone know what I'm talking about. Seems to be little or no info on these very nice guitars on the web.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.