Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Video: Marty Stuart- The Story of Clarence White & The Parsons/White StringBender

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by beyer160, Apr 19, 2017.

1. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Jul 15, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    What a great story and tragic ending. Thanks for sharing this one.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Thanks for posting this.

3. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

May 14, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    Awesome video. Thanks to beyer160 for posting.

4. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Incredibly cool, inspiring and humbling. Marty...I've got a great deal of respect for you.

5. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2010
    Fountain City, Wi
    aces across the board, Clarence's loss was incalculable, and although other guitar players could do that guitar justice, I think Marty was the right person to own it

tonytrout and MickM like this.

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    First time I've heard him mention the original "black hat" Nudie sticker!

7. BladeStratford

BladeStratford TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    One of the best Marty/Clarence clips I've seen - thanks!

8. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Here's one with Gene Parsons (no relation to Gram) talking about how they came up with the b-bender in the first place-

skeeterbuck likes this.

9. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck TDPRI Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Weather Marty deserves it or not maybe up for debate, but he cares for the guitar which in the end really matters. That guitar is the quintessential "Relic".

10. asatfan

asatfan Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for posting the video. Great stuff. I just saw Marty & the band two weeks ago. What a great player Marty is and probably the best band in country music.

I don't think I've ever heard any debate as to whether or not Marty "deserves" Clarence....who else would there be? Marty plays it every day, allows people to hold it, play it, get their picture taken with it.....there is no better care taker of this historic guitar!

tonytrout likes this.

11. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2006
    Chicago
    AGREED. Saw him a month or two back. Great show. I love that he plays the bender pretty much all night every night. That's exactly what that telecaster should be doing.

12. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

I love this story... I'm late to the Marty Party but I'll tell you what, not only is he a great player - he's exactly the right guy to carry this guitar and Clarence's legend forward.

13. classicplayer

classicplayer Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2003
    Thanks for posting this up. I had the Sweetheart Of The Rodeo album and kept it for many years. It was a unique guitar sound that White put on several songs on the record. I also owned the '63/'64 Kentucky Colonels Bluegrass album and it was a watershed type of recording due to Clarence's advanced flat picking style.
    His style is almost universal these days. He was certainly an innovator on guitar and his name deserves to be remembered. I wonder what that '54 Telecaster would have brought at an auction?

Stratstrangler

14. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Marty is doing some shows with Roger McGuinn....

I think they need to do an album....

pdcorlis likes this.

15. threadbare

threadbare Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 28, 2003
    Georgia
    Look how many views the video has. It was just posted a day or two ago!

16. classicplayer

classicplayer Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2003
    I'm not surprised at so many views of the YT video of Marty Stuart. I was up late until midnight, last. I wanted to read this complete chronicle about White.

http://www.burritobrother.com/clarencewhite.htm

Anyone interested in the origins of "Country Rock" and what has become today's Country, should delve into this trove of the info on musicians who helped push this form of Country into the mainstream. The Sweetheart Of The Rodeo album can be found with a YT search. Clarence White can be heard on many cuts from that album. Can I believe it? 2018 will mark 50 years since the albums debut.

Classicplayer

17. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    As asatfan said, I don't think it's ever been up for debate - even from me, a decidedly non-fan of Marty's. I just don't care for his style or bender playing - but I absolutely think it's fine that he has the guitar, and I respect the way he makes it available to other players to try out, take pics etc. I wish he hadn't modified it with the E bender - but *he* wishes he hadn't as well!

18. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    he was also on "Younger then Yesterday" and "Notorious Byrd Brothers". He was actually kind of upset when Gram was asked to join the band and he wasn't, as he'd been a "studio weapon" for several years.

19. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Always a treat to see Clarence's Tele.

tonytrout likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.