Vibrolux Reverb Speakers: Round #12

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bob Arbogast, Jan 21, 2017.

1. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Well let me add part of what I posted here: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/weber-10a125-o-observations.906325/

I just grabbed a couple of Weber 10a125-O speakers today for use with my Fender CVR.
    They are a nice upgrade to the green basket Jensen P10R. They seem quite a bit louder and cleaner I'd say you gain at least one spot on the volume before the breakup comes, which is nice because these amps breakup really early stock. So while these speakers are the early break up option they still don't break up as early as the Jensens.

I like early breakup in an amp, but these Webers just sound so nice that I think I'll stick with them for a while. Maybe a mix of the Jensen and Weber is worth a try.

2. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

Glad you like it! I'm still finding it to be a really good, really Fender-y pairing.

3. dcoviel

dcoviel NEW MEMBER!

OK... I just finished a moderate speaker roll in my 1973 Vibrolux Reverb.

Circuit is stock but has had a thorough cap job and solid vintage tubes powering everything. My VR had its original Oxford speakers. When I pulled them out, the gaskets were stuck to the baffle board. I don't think they had EVER been removed! Nasty pile of dust, dirt and grime piled up on the bottoms. yikes...

after cleaning up the baffle, here's what I tried (all 8ohm speakers paired for a 4 ohm load):

Vintage 1976 Emi AlNiCo (great condition, pulled from a Super Reverb)
    Weber 10A125 (made in 2010 and well broken in)
    Weber DT10 (2018, lightly used)
    1st Gen Reverend Alltone 1025 (made by Emi, with the small "R" in the wings on the label)
    Jupiter 10LC (lightly used)
    WGS ET-10 (new)

since the VR is known to be fairly bright in the circuit, I tested every speaker combo with a Strat (Lollar Blondes) and an SG ('87, stock) to get a feel for single coils vs humbuckers.

'76 Emi AlNiCo + Alltone 1025: I could tell immediately that the Emi AlNiCo was warm and well broken in, but maybe too broken in. sounded amazing at low volume (2-3) but did not handle high volume as well as i had hoped. I do not know the wattage rating. The Alltone was solid, but a bit too woody for me.

Alltone 1025 + Weber DT10: ahhh! much better! Solid ceramic punch. The DT10 definitely came through more. I think Weber undervalues their speaker SPL ratings. Great pairing though, and significantly lightened the weight of the amp!

Jupiter 10LC + Weber 10A125: Holy smokes. Big, Fat and Round. Punchy with tons of attack. I almost called it a day when... I noticed a significant voice coil rub on the Jupiter when I turned the amp up. big ole fizzzzzz. I yanked it out but left in the Weber AlniCo.

Weber 10A125 + Weber DT10: oh yeah! the broken in AlNiCo paired nicely with the newer ceramic. both rated 30 watts and I believe a close SPL rating (according to Weber). I could hear the DT10 just a bit louder than the AlNiCo, but together they blended very well. sounded awesome at low volume and cranked up.

Weber 10A125 + WGS ET10: Just to be sure, I swapped in the ET10 to compare against the Jupiter and the Weber DT10. Yes, its their take on a Celection Creamback. Yes it's "brit" in its voicing. My takeaway is that it is solid speaker - for a different amp. It sounded too warm and mushy in the VR circuit. I've read elsewhere that folks say it doesn't cut through in a mix. I can see that now. I can also hear that speaker in a british voiced amp. The ET10 probably belongs in a modern EL84 amp like a Dr Z. Not a good choice for vintage Fender clean.

I did not try the Alltone 1025 with the Weber 10A125.

After yanking the ET10, I put the DT10 back in with the 10A125 and called it a day. Very pleased with this combo. Balanced. Tight Bottom. The brightness of the VR was tamed a little. Much improved with single coils. And allowed me to add back in some treble when playing w humbuckers. This is my first go with a Ceramic / AlNiCo mix and I LOVE it.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Sheeba likes this.
  4. Billy Bouy

Billy Bouy NEW MEMBER!

I haven't read all the posts, and am a newby to this forum.....
    However, my question is...I have an old Fender Frontman 212, that has since expired, but was wanting to use the speakers and Cabinet for an extension for my Vibrolux....I believe the speakers in the old frontman cab are 8 0hms....and if I am not mistake, i believe the extension output on the Vibrolux is 4 ohm. Eventually would like to upgrade the speakers, as I can afford it.

wmsimpson likes this.
  5. Bob Arbogast

I'm guessing your question is about the output impedance of the Vibrolux. It is 4 Ohms, whether you use the main output jack or the two output jacks together. (You can't use the extension output jack by itself!)

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The Ext Spkr jack allows that Fender to be run with 2 x 4 ohm loads in parallel for a 2 ohm load. Leo and Co. designed the amp for that usage.

BBill64 likes this.
  7. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

OK the V1030 + G10SC64 is a great mix but I was hearing a little more top end than I wanted. The V1030's are also pretty loud. I wondered what I could accomplish by rolling some different tubes. I tried 6 different sets of 6l6gc's + vintage 5881's and some WGB's. I ended up liking the GE's 6l6gc's the best. I originally had RCA's in there which tend to give an extended range. (higher highs and deeper lows than Ge for example). I've always preferred GE's in my other fender amps. I also added an old Mullard 12ax7 to V1. My normal channel has a .022uf mid cap. Long story longer. It is sounding pretty great. I swapped the CTS alnico's back in just to hear the difference and they are better. I'm not sure how long they will last but they have something special. I'm really enjoying playing this in the normal channel especially. A few days ago I purchased and Alltone 1030 so I guess the quest continues....

8. Bob Arbogast

I just went through another round of speaker swaps in my 2x10 Deluxe Reverb, looking for some magic I suppose.

I started with Greenback 10 + V1030, then tried GA10-SC64 + V1030, V1030 x 2, Greenback 10 + SC64, and SC64 x 2. I did a lot of back and forth with these combinations until I found the best pair: GB10 + V1030--right where I started. Argh!!!!

Sheeba likes this.
  9. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

Bob have you tried the alltone 1030's? These have a smooth cone, mid sized magnet (30oz?), and a 1.5" VC. I just installed one with an alnico CTS and the tones are really interesting. Many of the speakers I've been trying are pretty similar overall. Its been more about trying to find the perfect highs with enough bass. This speaker actually has its own unique sound. It is very clear in the treble and mids without killing me and the bottom is warm and full. Its has more mids of course than the typical Jensen. The Jury is still out but this speaker could work for gigging. Lead lines jump with a strat and the drive sounds are very good. I'm finding a lot of useful sounds with a strat. Fusion style clean rhythms are easy. Roll back the volume for some tasty warm jazz chording. The only downside so far is that the alltone is louder than the typical speakers I've been experimenting with. I'll try it with a few of the other speakers over the weekend. Ok I'll stop rambling...

10. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Man, I'm glad I don't have the cash for all this tone chasing-I'd still be broke, but with a pile of speakers in the garage!

When I re-did my Super Reverb into a 2x10 (aka SuperVibrolux Reverb) I had read on Weber's site about mixing a ceramic and alnico in a 2x10-well, I had a REALLY GOOD Emi 1028k already, so I bought an Emi 1058, that, once broken in, has been exactly what I've wanted in this amp since day one-I haven't even thought about swapping speakers since I hit on this combo (aka a Poor Man's Weber speaker mix). As noted elsewhere in this thread, making sure your tubes, caps, and bias are set properly also go a looong way in your tone quest-proper bias alone makes a world of difference (ask any HRDX owner, including me!)...

Franc Robert

11. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  12. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

Okay, time to jump in here. I put an older 1030 and 1025 in my early '68 VR over a year ago, hoping, hoping, hoping to retain Jensen-esque cleans while achieving woody British driven tones (good luck, I know). Well, this combination probably comes as close as I can imagine. The cleans have a little more push in the mids, but are still very nice. The driven tones are right there with what I was hoping for. I have a great pair of old Weber C10Q's (now the 10F125) that I can swap back in, along with the original Utah's (yes, Utah's came in the amp initially) for the full Fender tones. But I am really digging the driven tones. Great gigging speakers for my amp.

13. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Hey Bob (or anyone else who cares to chime in) -

Did you notice any balance issues with the combination of the Greenback and the GA10-SC64? I notice they're a few dBs apart in terms of efficiency.

A while back I picked up a 68 Custom Vibrolux. I really, really like it, and I've owned a number of very nice boutique hand built amps over the years. The 68 CVR just has a lot going for it right out of the box. I'm fine with the idea that it doesn't try to be a faithful reissue (internal construction/PCB notwithstanding), and if I owned a real silverface I'd probably be inclined to apply some of the same circuit mods to it.

I'm just "ok" with the stock Ten 30s in it but I've caught the speaker bug. I like the idea of having a brit-voiced speaker (or speakers) in it to bring the mids forward. It works for the styles and guitars I play, and I'm not after that classic scooped/bright Fender thing (which is a great tone but I just don't want 100% of it). I'm really intrigued by the idea of a Greenback mixed with something more American voiced to get the best of both worlds and I've read great things about the GA10-SC64s.

14. Bob Arbogast

Actually, I've found that pairing the Greenback with either the V1030 or the GA10-SC64 yields a balanced, best-of-both-worlds voice. These days I have a V1030 in my 2x10 Deluxe Reverb and a GA10-SC64 in my Vibrolux Reverb. The GB/GA10 combination is a bit dark in the Deluxe, but just right in the Vibrolux. I imagine the difference is the brighter voice of the 6L6 circuit.

Ignatius likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.