Vibrolux Reverb Speakers: Round #12

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bob Arbogast, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

How interesting to see this thread still alive!

I’m slowly building a 2x10 Deluxe Reverb. I loaded the cabinet with what I had on hand: one Celestion G10 Greenback and one Fender/Eminence V1030. It sounds great.

In fact, when I AB’d DR can with the Greenback/Alessandro pair in my Vibrolux, I liked the V1030 set better-it had clearer top end. So I swapped out the Alessandro for a V1030. That took me back in my VR speaker timeline. But I like it just fine. (I’m going to sell the Alessandro.)

2. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

My latest speaker combo is one re-coned CTS alnico and on re-coned Oxford 10L5. The later having tighter lows and less top end. Better but not there yet...

After taking a closer look at the circuit values I found resistor in the PI circuit that didn't match any schematic. It may have been a previous attempt to blackface or tune the amp but it looked original. I also found both of the 100ohm virtual center tap resistors burned open.

I changed these out and also replaced all of the electrolytics and still couldn't get it sounding right. I began part by part to blackface the amp. Eventually "that" sound was showed up.

I was really surprised to hear how each part made a distinct difference as I listened between every change.

It's very tasty with most speakers now. The stock Silverface is certainly fuller, warmer, and louder but its not the sound I was hoping to hear.

I'd still like to hear a greenback 10 and even one of the V1030 Bob is so fond of. I'll also see about those WGS 10's.

3. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

I just tried the Ga10-sc64 and the CTS Alnico. That's sounding more like it. Fills in the bottom nicely. Still would like to hear a greenback 10 and a WGS vintage 10.

4. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

I'm currently running 2 CTS alnico (original cones). It drops the volume pretty significantly. Pretty sweet highs, mids and lows reduced compared to the new recones. They have and old speaker feel for blues. I have a Jupiter 10SC and an Eminence V1030 inbound. So far The CTS/Ga10-sc64 combo is a standout. It's a big step up in volume and fullness but is very nice. The older CTS's may work. I need to try a few pedals tonight.

5. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

double triple post

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    wmsimpson likes this.
  6. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

double post

7. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

double post

8. vox Phantom

vox Phantom Tele-Meister

I just bought yesterday from Sweetwater the reissue Vibrolux 68 custom
    Reverb. Are the Speakers good after they are broken in or is it better to
    replace them?

9. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I bought a 1980 Vibrolux Reverb about two weeks ago. It had been professionally black-faced and re-capped by the previous owner/tech. The stock speakers were no longer in there, but instead there were/are a pair of Eminence Blue Frame Alnico 10's. I was totally unfamiliar with them, until Wally gave me the low-down on these and stated how these are very nice speakers. I was from the old camp of EV12L, JBL-D130 and Black Widows. I replaced the output tubes last night with a matched pair of older 6L6GC Winged C's and I bet my jaw hit the floor when I hit that first chord. I have never heard anything sound so nice and sparkly clear with just the right amount of mids and serious, delicious low-end thump. Great amp and remarkable speakers.

Wally likes this.
  10. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

I swapped in a Jupiter 10SC alongside one of the CTS anico's. I wasn't to impressed. It seemed pretty dull and lifeless. I removed it to break it in. I have a V1030 coming tomorrow. The CTS alnico are growing on me for smoky blues. I can turn the amp to 6 or 7 with those and work the guitar volume. I don't see how they would work for the cover band where I'm mostly a rhythm player. This amp with these alnicos is a great lead guitar amp. I have the Jupiter breaking in all day. I will reinstall tonight.

11. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

I always heard those Blue alnico's were super bright... They are still available. The hunt continues.

12. Telecastoff1

Actually, I don't find these speakers as being "Super Bright" at all. At least not in this amp. But, as I said previously, I'm new to these particular speakers and am truly liking what these speakers and this amp are giving me. I play Telecasters only. My main, gigging Tele is a '92 American Standard, Rosewood board and a set of new Texas Specials I installed in 1998. I haven't gigged this amp yet and might eventually. But for now, I'll keep gigging with my old Twin(s),

Wally likes this.
  13. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

My only reference was a local player amp that I did some service on. He liked it bright though. The amp was a tweed Blues Deville 4x10. I see they are still available but they are pretty expensive. Maybe I'll try one. Thanks for the tip.

14. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

I tried the Jupiter 10SC again after a full day of break in. I don't think it's going to work. It very low efficiency. Has nice sound but I dont think 2 will have enough headroom as they break up pretty quickly. Much quicker than a CTS alnico.

15. Telecastoff1

I recently picked up a pair of 1970-vintage ALTEC 425-8A 10" speakers in prestine condition. I installed them in a closed-back cab and have been running my Twin Reverb Head thru the cab. It sounds fantastic....those Altecs really sing and carry a nice even range from solid lows to sparkly, smooth highs. I wonder what these speakers would sound like in my Vibrolux Reverb. Anyone have any experience with these ALTEC 425-8A's in a Vibrolux?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  16. Telecastoff1

Well, I can answer my own question regarding the Altec 425-8A 10" speakers. I installed them in my VR and expected more than what I received. The amp suddenly sounded thin, spikey and lifeless. I couldn't believe this was the same amp or the same speakers I'd had in my Lexicon closed cab. Needless to say, my Eminence Blue Frame Alnico speakers went right back into the VR. The VR is happy again and so am I. I put the Altecs back in the Lexicon cab where they sound great. All is good again.

wmsimpson likes this.
  17. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Really liking a pair of Fat Jimmy C1025s in my silverface

nocastermike likes this.
  18. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

Ok. So I didn't sell the Alessandro. In fact, yesterday I swapped it in for the Greenback in my 2x10 Deluxe Reverb. So now that amp is G10-SC64 + V1030. I'm pleased with the results. It took away a British edge that was too much for my goals. My current live work is with a blues band that focuses on old school stuff. The American voice of the Alessandro is better suited for that. Now the amp sounds less "rock" and more "rock 'n roll."

I wonder what a pair of those would sound like in the 2x10 Deluxe . . . It really never ends!

Sheeba and wmsimpson like this.
  19. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

Bob I ended up with a G10-sc64 and a V1030 in my blackface Vibrolux reverb. Its giving me a nice full sound. I tried two Alessandro's and didn't like that as much as I expected. The V1030 really has the right top end. I did end up keeping the Jupiter in my princeton reverb.

20. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Owning a VVRI, I always get sucked into these threads. There are so many posts and threads on this subject, maybe we should have a 2x10 speaker selection sub-heading in Amp Central Station. We could cover the variations of 2x10 Fender amps - BFVR, SFVR, VVRI, CVR, and 68CVR.

A compendium of experiences and opinions would be helpful to us folks that would like to try different speakers, but just don't have the time and/or resources to try them all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.