Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vibrolux Reverb Speakers: Round #12

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bob Arbogast, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

Fascinating!

For grins a few weeks ago, I pulled the Greenback 10 and popped a V1030 in. I couldn’t get it out of there fast enough! It sounded harsh and ugly. I have no idea why. And it sounded worse when I stepped on my Centura (klone). [The other speaker is an Alessandro 10.]

Maybe it was something I ate. ????

2. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Like Bob, I have went round and round on this for years. There were years long threads over on TGP about it. I've had 3 Vibrolux's in the last 15 years or so. I continually chased getting the right speakers. One I had two Weber 10F150s and it was dreamy, but with volume on 3 and big skating rink room the sound man told me I was too loud and he had my amp mic turned off! Couldn't use it in clubs at all.
    This should tell those who are jonesing for a Vlux something. My opinion has become that finding the right 10" is hard. I loved my 1 x 12 Vibrolux... 12" speakers are better known and tons more options. To my ears the only thing that works super well in the VR is the original speakers.
    It's funny how for like a Super Reverb though, with 4 x 10, you can use a bunch of different speakers and sound good. 4 x 10 just booms big bottom end but with clean tone also. The Vlux gets the clean, but not great on the bottom necessarily. JMHO.

3. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I’ve got a ‘73 VR with RI Jensen C10Q’s. Not thrilled with these speakers. Always looking for more bottom end. Running the Treble at 3.5 and Bass at 8. Still looking for more bottom end and fullness.

I had a ‘65 VR with vintage Jensen C10Q’s and it sounded great, good bottom end, full sounding, and with glassy cleans.

With this amp, I’m not sure if my issue is with the amp or the speakers.

Thinking of buying some Webers.

DF21608C-BDAC-44FE-939C-6C0DA0AF72EC.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Sheeba and schmee like this.
  4. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

Interesting. When I ran some C10Qs in my VR clone, I kept the bass on the amp very low. Pushing too much bass to the speakers seemed to make the low end fall apart. I got a more solid low end with bass control set lower.

Sheeba and gridlock like this.
  5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    This amp has a Mid mode (in the rear speaker input). I have that set to zero. The amp really gets brittle sounding with the treble over 4 for my tastes. Maybe time to have it serviced again.

6. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I'd go with a couple of Emi GA SC64's and you'll have bottom end. The thing about Fender amps, especially the smaller ones... above about 4-5 on the Bass knob it just adds a bit of breakup, not so much bottom end.
    As I noted above, a couple Weber 10F150's and the bottom end will be HUGE, but the amp will be very loud... and heavy too. I just sold my baffle and two 16 ohm 10F150's I used to use in my BFDR. They were killer in the Deluxe. But again, too heavy and loud. Two wil cost you about $200 + shipping now days too...

gridlock likes this.
  7. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I was mistaken, I have two RI Jensen P10R’s in my SFVR, and not C10Q’s as it originally typed. Not sure if there is a big difference.

Maybe one Weber 10F150 and one Emi GA SC64 would be the ticket.

8. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    Sheeba, uriah1 and gridlock like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yeah, those P10R's are spikey clean and brittle... until you overdrive them... but then you are loud and it becomes a bit of a one trick pony.
    You could try that, but no strong need to do so. Compared with what you have in there, without spending a ton:
    -Emi 1058
    -Emi GA SC 64
    -Weber 10F150
    Will all be great.

Sheeba, RadioFM74 and gridlock like this.
  10. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Saving this information to do my homework on possible purchase.

Thanks Shmee.

11. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I had Golds in a Vibro King that sounded great. Probably should have pulled the speakers before letting that amp go.

Sheeba likes this.
  12. EnzoDooder

EnzoDooder TDPRI Member

Oct 14, 2018
    Kansas
    The GA10's are one of the speakers I have my eye on. Forgive me for not knowing much about how speakers work but what does them being 20 watts mean? Does that mean they will break up sooner than the stock Celestion Ten 30's?

I actually like the Ten 30's but I can't get over the fact they're the cheapest Celestion model which come stock in a bunch of ~$200 amps. Seemed strange Fender put them in the 68 CVR but I kind of get it. They seem to work and sound good to my ears. Their light weight is another big plus, although it looks like the GA10's are pretty light as well. I still want to upgrade, for experimentation more than anything. Worst case scenario I'll end up building a separate 2x10 cab if they don't work out.

How would you say the GA10's differ from the Ten 30's? What things should I expect after swapping them out?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  13. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2010
    PA
    I haven't posted in a long while but I just purchased a 1973 Vibrolux reverb over the weekend so I have speakers on my mind. The amp is all original and incredibly clean except for the Webers the former owner had installed. He told Weber his amp wasn't bright enough with the stock speakers. They recommended a pair of 10" California's! Later I discovered the issue to be tube/ bias related.

I want something lighter and not super efficient.

I prefer the old swiss cheese ceramic CTS's in my Main Super. I also have access to these.
    old CTS Alnico's
    re-coned CTS Alnico's
    Pyle MH1020's
    Celestion G10-35L's
    one Alessandro G10-SC64

I'm trying to move from playing Super reverbs to this Vibrolux. I'm getting old.

Has anyone compared the CTS to the sc64? I'm leaning toward 2 alessandro's or 2 Cts alnico's

I'm Playing classic rock blues in a 5 piece (amps usually mic'd)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  14. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2008
    CA
    seems like you have enough speakers on hand to make an informed decision about what to put in there

Sheeba likes this.
  15. coldengray

coldengray Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I put Alessandro 10s in my ‘69 Vibrolux Reverb and I’m happy with them. I would like to try a pair of 10” Greenbacks as I’m using a lot of distortion with my new band.

16. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2010
    PA
    I was hoping someone had some experience with some of these speakers in this circuit specifically. It's not the same as loading up a Super Reverb. I guess it's just laziness. I need to get all of these amps out of storage and remove speakers or reconfigure wiring in some cases. I appreciate the feedback.

caspersvapors likes this.
  17. stratwilly

stratwilly Tele-Meister

Sep 1, 2016
    germany
    ... yeah, trying different speaker is fun - I was on the same journey and I tried Webers and Jensens.
    Now my '68 VR runs with hotter bias, new cathode caps and some different preamp tubes. Finally I reinstalled the old oxfords and I am happy.
    Enjoy your journey :)

BobbyZ likes this.
  18. caspersvapors

Nov 28, 2008
    CA
    of the speakers you listed Ive only used the GA10-sc64, and its a pretty safe bet in the Vibrolux.

coldengray likes this.
  19. Sheeba

Sheeba TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2010
    PA
    I tried both a set of late 60's CTS Alnico's with new cones and a set of mid 70's original cones.

The original cones (70's) were brighter, thinner, and much less efficient. I could turn the amp easily to 7 or 8. The speakers look pristine. I suppose they're just tired?

I swapped in the re-coned set (late 60's) and they seem bottom/ mid heavy in comparison with a nice top end. These were broken in on a variac only.

The old Pyles also seemed pretty thin and weak.

Maybe a mid pot or swap out the .047 mid cap for a .022uf would help.

When the amp is cranked (speakers compressing) it's a lot of fun but it's really loud.

I'm still considering a few GA10's (I like the one in my princeton reverb)

20. caspersvapors

Nov 28, 2008
    CA
    You may want to also consider the wgs veteran 10 (or one of its variants: jupiter 10sc, fat jimmy c1025) They are a bit less loud than the ga10 in terms of db, and compress similarily to a cts alnico. There are some great vids online comparing the vets and alnicos. Plus they are very affordable

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.