Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vibrolux Reverb Speakers: Round #12

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bob Arbogast, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

After lots of experimenting, I've had a pair of Fender/Eminence V1030 speakers in my Vibrolux Reverb clone for some time now. They really capture the crisp blackface voice that I love.

But for a long time I've been wondering about the Celestion 10-inch Greenback. So I ordered one. I installed it today. It's definitely darker (warmer?) than the V1030. I'm not sure I would be happy with a pair of them. But so far, one of each sounds pretty good. I'll give the Greenback time to break in and take it out to some jams before I make a final evaluation.

My goal is to tame the brightness of the amp a little bit. Eminence Allessandro 10s might do that, too! That's another one I'd like to try. It's a lot like the V1030, but has a different, softer dustcap, which probably tames the highs.

2. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2017
    Maine
    I have an alessandro 12 in my blues deluxe it's very warm and thick.
    Very authentic vintage vibe.
    No harsh high end at all.
    I have all of the tone knobs at noon and it sounds great.
    Eminence recommended it to me when i called them.
    Someone on another forum called it "the perfect fender speaker"
    Might be worth checking out the 10 especially if you want to tame the high end.
    I retubed the amp with matched jj tubes and that also balanced the amp tone quite alot.

rebelwoclue likes this.
  3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    I'm reminded of my brother's SF Vibrolux speaker search. He pulled the Oxfords because the internet told him they're crap. Then started rolling through the "speaker of the month". Buying them used and reselling. Finally in order to just sell the stupid thing he reinstalled the Oxfords.
    He didn't sell it. :)

4. Bob Arbogast

I had Oxfords in a '74 VR. They sounded great.

thegeezer and BobbyZ like this.
  5. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2011
    Central IL
    I've had the green framed ceramic Tone Tubbys in mine for several years. Very happy with them. Great for taming top end.

6. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2009
    donegal ireland
    The alessandros ga10 are great.see them as an alnico blue frame w a tad more bite/presence.when i get back to my pc ill send you a link w the ga10 and my vibroverb,similar t yr vibrolux.

rebelwoclue likes this.
  7. Bob Arbogast

I'm really liking the combination of the V1030 and the Greenback. I like what the Greenback brings to the mix, so I ordered another one from Mojo while they have a 15% discount happening. I'm especially curious to hear what a pair of Greenbacks will sound like. I'm hoping it will warm the amp up a bit more than the combination does, without sacrificing clarity. Time will tell.

8. Steve112

Steve112 Tele-Meister

Sep 9, 2012
    Abbotsford Canada
    I've got a pair of Allesandro GA10s in my '68 CVR, they sound marvelous, very vintage. Nice bottom, smooth mids and highs, no ice-pick at all.
    They sound as though they should be the stock speakers, the CVR is much more "musical" and has classical, old-school Fender tone with the GA10s.

ballynally2 and BlueCajun like this.
  9. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2009
    donegal ireland
    Exactly my experience as well.

Steve112 likes this.
  10. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    I bought mine with Weber Blue Pups in it. Sounds great, especially cranked. I have the original Oxfords that came with it. Supposably one of them is bad, but I've been too lazy to even try them.

RodeoTex likes this.
  11. Bob Arbogast

I installed a second G10 Greenback the other day. I'll live with it for a while. But I think I prefer the complexity of one V1030 and one Greenback. The Greenback pair sounds great for low gain classic rock stuff, but I'm not sure yet about the cleaner side of things. I might prefer the crispness of the mixed pair.

The good news is, if I go with the mixed pair, then I'll have another pair in boxes ready to serve as replacements or to be mounted in another amp--if I cave in and build another one. (I always seem to!)

12. dgabbear

dgabbear Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2007
    Michigan
    Do you still like these speakers in your vibrolux? Do they have clean Headroom with humbuckers. I'm trying to decide on a new set of speakers for my Vibrolux to replace the CTS

13. Bob Arbogast

Since I started this thread, I suppose I could add that for some time now, I've been running one Greenback and one Allessandro. It's a good combination. (I don't know how it would be with humbuckers; I don't own any!)

codamedia likes this.
  14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Stop. You are deep in the bottomless well called "speaker chasing" - and it's ridiculously expensive for very, very small returns if you already like the amp but just want to change *one* thing.

You already like how it sounds! You need to work on the voicing - tame it by swapping preamp tubes, tweak the bias, change the tone caps...there are at least a dozen things you can try that are free or cost a couple bucks.

Do those *first*. THEN spend hundreds on speakers - if you haven't already found a solution.

Ten bucks says you will.

;)

15. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    I have 2 vibroluxe reverbs. Im not a fan of the oxfords. They are ok..not great. My 65 has a jupiter and a fat jimmy. My 72 has 2 jupiters. Jupiters are really..really good. They are a tremendous match for fender amps. In the chicago jensen catagory tonewise. They handle the power and low end without being too efficient and hifi sounding. Dropped a 12 in my 66 deluxe reverb as well.

JTM45blues likes this.
  16. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

May 14, 2003
    Iowa
    I have 2 Jupiters in my ‘71 VR and they sound great. Plenty of detail and clarity, but definitely still sound “vintage”. I have one 10LC and one 10SC. I’ve had two SC’s, but it lacked some lows and some headroom. 2 10LC’s was too loud to me

nocastermike likes this.
  17. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Since the OP re-opened his older thread, I'll contribute.

My '70 Vibrolux came to me with one original '70 Oxford ceramic, and one '73 CTS Alnico. I have no idea when/where that pairing took place (back in '73 to replace a blown speaker, or more recently as an experiment) but it's a really nice combination. The Oxford is softer in tone, but louder. The CTS is bold and a bit brighter! It covers a stage wonderfully and I am able to offer a sound tech with the options.... he can choose what he wants to mic up for the FOH.

uriah1 likes this.
  18. Bob Arbogast

No neurosis at work, and no solution needed.

All in all, it has been an enjoyable, eight-years-long experiment not to *fix* a problem, but to discover shades of awesomeness that exist in the amp. Over these years, there have been certain speakers I've wanted to hear--and I've wanted to hear how they sound with this amp, the best amp in the world!

I've also experimented with voicing, with bias vary tremolo, with reverb circuit configuration, with tube complement. Again, none of this was to *fix* a problem. All of it was to discover awesomeness.

FiddlinJim and Silverface like this.
  19. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2009
    donegal ireland
    and to add:your post about the Jupiters is like i would describe the GA10s.there's a post about the comparison between those 2 on TGP

nocastermike likes this.
  20. Texxxxx

Texxxxx TDPRI Member

Jul 20, 2011
    CA
    I have followed and duplicated much of this journey, Bob. WGS>Alnico Gold>Vintage Alnico>Vintage C10N>V1030. I can't even remember all the speakers I bought following you around. When you bought the V1030's, I put them on my list and waited patiently for two to show up on eBay. It took a few months and then it took me another 6 months to actually put them in my amp, which is a stock '66 Vibrolux Reverb.

I don't play out much anymore; Medicare age. Around the house I use my '68 Princeton Reverb. The guys in my band have been itching to play out, so we did last night. My VR with the V1030's was the sound I have always wanted; and I have quite a few vintage Fender amps. Thanks for the ride and I'll be getting off now. It has been a wonderful experiment; thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.