Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

VibroChamp WTH?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by wblynch, Jul 25, 2017.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Those prices will make you feel great about buying a Super Reverb!

2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    This part. I just saw a Blackface Bandmaster head go on Facebook for $500 that I wish I could have grabbed. Consider what $500 gets you for new production pcb and Chinese parts. I know some folks equate watts to $$ and want more power for more money...but that's why man made microphones.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    not necessarily true. It depends on what the BIN price is.

I search for "newly listed" items; I use search term alerts so I am emailed immediately when an item is listed; and I manually search using screwed-up spelling. the last one has gotten me everything from vintage Fender amps to rare guitars to early-1900's Martin ukes. I hit BIN within an hour of a listing and - unless you stumble on it by misspelling a search for completed items - you never know about it! :rolleyes:

Exactly. Selling prices are "whatever the market will bear". On eBay always check "sold items" - only those will tell you what things actually *sell* for. Listing prices and "completed auction" prices are meaningless as far as "reality" goes.

And prices in the Vintage Guitar Price Guide are not based on auction selling prices. Auctions are too "random" and helper-skelter. They have a large network of dealers that is constantly surveyed. But even their "book" prices are regularly updated in the magazine as the whole market is very volatile.

4. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    My wife's friend had one she used to play harmonica through.
    I saw it in her garage. Late Blackface, Restored and cared for perfectly.
    I was going to steal it but then she asked me what it was worth and I told her $375-500.
    She sold it and I bought A VCXD for $94 and glad I did.
    The VCXD is nice, and I like the voices, but ultimately I don;t care for 8" speakers or 5 watts.
    So I got a '68 Custom Princeton which is way more me.

5. Believer

Believer TDPRI Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Mississippi
    Plug that VCXD into a 2x12 and stand back, because you'll be surprised what that 5 watts can do. I love my VCXD even if some think it's not a REAL Vibrochamp.

Grux and jimash like this.

6. Disco Biscuits

Disco Biscuits TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2011
    NC
    I noticed that even those prices jumped over the past year or so. I previously owned an XD and I got it new for about the same price that I paid for a used one recently.

I don't know why companies don't stick to what works. If Fender just continued to make these same amps, with maybe a few changes in parts to reduce their overhead...it feels like they would own the market. They make the Vibrochamp/Superchamp XD's and they explode on to the market, then they decide "well, let's stop selling those. We can make a totally new one and call it the Super Champ X2".

7. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    So they can sell higher priced stuff lol

8. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I've played it through my 1967 Bassman cab. It IS nice. I said I was glad to have it. It doesn;t like an 8 ohm 1/12 cab as much as I;d like.
    Voice #1 sounds exactly like a champ to me. It is very nice. And the voices that sound gritty with a Fender sound quite good with a Les Pul with P90's.

Grux likes this.

9. Disco Biscuits

Jan 5, 2011
    NC
    I've yet to put mine with a cab and see the possibilities. Do you have an opinion on a relatively inexpensive cab that I could run with the VCXD? I've just started playing with a band, and the VCXD alone has a hard time keeping up when the drummer decides to play loudly.

10. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    My SFVC was purchased new by my dad for my brother in 1980. My brother hung onto it even back in the 00's when people were giving these amps away. He refurbished it a few years ago with fresh caps and a replacement speaker (Jensen P8R). Both my dad and my brother have passed on. I inherited the SFVC along with some other gear.

The Vibro Champ is my go to practice amp. It sounds phenomenal at low volume. I can use it for guitar while I sing and it doesn't drown out my voice so I don't need to use a PA. I can play late at night without disturbing the rest of the house.

IMO, the Vibro Champ is the perfect practice/recording amp for my bluesy, rootsy style. If you want one my best advise is: Be Patient. It might take a few months even but if you wait you'll find a nice one for a reasonable ($500ish) price.

File Dec 28, 6 26 07 PM.jpeg

wblynch likes this.

11. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Jul 16, 2009
    fort worth
    They are trending upwards but be patient. I bought one recently for $300 on ebay. 1969. Somewhere between good and great condition.

wblynch likes this.

12. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    I'll be 65 in a couple of months so I'm one of those guys and I am still actively playing: both at home and gigging regularly with a band. Yet, I'm already working at selling off a pile off stuff. I only want to have my working guitar and two lifetime companions, my '54 Deluxe and one other amp...and I'm not sure which one.

Most of the inquiries on my gear are younger players. The older guys looking tend to be sellers too but just can't quite give up their GAS yet. But old Fender prices seem to still be running.

Oh, I am suffering a little temptation: there's a recently well-serviced 1965 VC near me with RCAs in it and a new Weber 12a125, cosmetically really nice for $500...hmmm.

13. wblynch

wblynch TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    I have been thinking about the VibroChamp XD lately. Much more affordable and I guess the 'voices' can be bypassed completely. But I doubt it can get that lush analog tremolo like the originals. And then, the VCXD is not much different than the SuperChamp XD/X2 which are abundantly available. With less chasing for one of those.

Ack!

14. lil scotty

lil scotty TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    I found my super champ by searching for "Riviera" on CL. Are we giving away valuable secrets here?

15. Disco Biscuits

Jan 5, 2011
    NC
    Can anyone comment on the VCXD's volume/output when a cabinet is added in the mix? Would that make it loud enough to keep up with a drummer?

16. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Absolutely! :eek:

...but in the past I've found about 1 out of 3,195 people who read this stuff will actually take detailed notes and discipline themselves to do the same thing for more than a month or two. There's too much work involved, too much too learn and too much to remember. Plus it seems like most people interested in the vintage market nowadays only want to participate if they can instantly "flip" gear for short-term returns. That flat doesn't happen.

In my experience about one long-time vintage collector out of 500 under the age of 50 has ever found something like a pre-CBS Tele at a garage sale - and even then it's usually been a hacked one. Nowadays you probably stand a better chance of being hit by lightning. In a church basement. On a foggy day.

I used to find tweed amps for $100 back when nobody wanted them...but in those days I didn't really want them either, so I fixed em up and sold them for $250. That's more profit than vintage dealers make on 1 out of 1000 pieces.

In '73 Norm's Rare Guitars had a wall of custom-color pre-CBS Strats. Each one was $250/HSC. Nobody wanted Strats. 1958-'60 Sunburst Les Pauls were $500 - less than nobody wanted those - not when you could buy a nice, pretty new one for the same price (list was $565). Those sunburst things were often "faded, old, used" guitars. Remember - nobody had ever heard the word "vintage" except maybe in regards to wine. Of course, if you bought one and kept it original - and it had a nicely flamed top - it'd be worth maybe $350k now.o_O

It depends on 1) the quality and style of construction of the cabinet, 2) the size and efficiency (in db) of the speaker(s), where it's being used and how it's placed (well off the floor is always better), 3) the style of music, and 4) if the drummer is any good - i.e. has good control *and* dynamics (I've played in acoustic bands that practiced unmiked - and drummers that played full-bore with sticks without drowning anyone out. THAT is what a good drummer can do.).

There are just too many variables to really tell you.

Grux likes this.

17. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Yep i can comment, but as Silverface said the conditions vary. 5 watts is 5 watts, and its pretty loud but I dont' think really loud enough with ANY type of cab (and still have clean headroom) unless you have some efficient speakers. My band doesn't practice super loud but 5 watts just don't quite do it. This being said I use a 1x10" with a WGS Veteran 10" with my VCXD which isn't super efficent. Sounds great but not loud!

18. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

It isn't a real Vibro Champ. Had one, dumped it.

19. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Add another $150 for a cap job and good tubes if it's never been serviced - and few I see have been (replacing a cap can is not like a simple cap job on a 5F1). Too many used amp buyers don't budget money for service, and those that never visit forums like this (which means at least 90% of the players out there) generally balk at the prices - even after they blow something up from neglect.

Doghouse_Riley likes this.

20. wblynch

wblynch TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    It would seem there should be plenty of blown up amps out there for picking.. ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.