Vibrato Options for Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mrjamboree, Feb 27, 2018.

1. mrjamboree

mrjamboree TDPRI Member

Long time reader, finally made an account because of all the great threads I've seen on here.

I joined a band where the leader wants me to get sort of a Neil Young sound (Lots of overdrive, noisy solos etc) so naturally I wanted a guitar with some sort of vibrato on it. I bought a jazzmaster and got bored of it after a few months. I've been a tele player for years and the jazzmaster just didn't sit right with me.

So I've decided I'm going to mod a tele with some sort of vibrato but I haven't decided what kind to get. I've looked at the Bigsby B5 conversion kits for telecaster, but after having a tune o matic bridge on a jazzmaster I know I'll have to replace it. I'm set on a Mastery for that. Here's when the dilemmas begin...

Mastery makes the M4.1 bridge https://masterybridge.com/product/m4-1/ seems intriguing but its not rocking and I can't find any reviews of it online. My thought is always the less moving parts the better and this bridge doesn't rock. Anybody have any experience with it?

There's also the option of just replacing the rocking bridge with a normal Mastery, which I wouldn't be opposed to but that is actually more expensive.

I've also looked into a Stetsbar, which is an ugly option, but if it works I could get past it. I've seen reviews ranging from the greatest single guitar invention of all time down to the absolute most garbage piece of equipment anyone has ever used.

Any help or experiences are greatly appreciated!

2. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Weigh up the difference between retro fitting a bigsby vs a 2nd hand squier cabronita, you might be surprised at how close they are.
    Also you could consider a pitch shifting pedal. Lots of options and you won't have to alter your guitar.

PhredE likes this.
  3. mrjamboree

mrjamboree TDPRI Member

I'm far too clumsy with my feet for the pitch shifting pedal. After buying a Carbonita and a Mastery it might not not be much cheaper. Besides I like the tele I'm going to get all this installed on too much to part with it.

4. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Vibrato on a tele ? to me that translates as bigsby, you might give a look in the used market and find something there, not many users stick to them for long time, YMMV, however i think that getting one with an installed bigsby would be the best option, you wouldn't drill holes in your n°1 right ? :D

cheers

5. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A B5 Bigsby with that Mastery Tele Bigsby Bridge https://masterybridge.com/product/m4-1/ is a good combination. There's no need for a bridge to move/rock, the strings slide well over the saddles in the Mastery bridge, and the tuning stability is fantastic.

6. mrjamboree

mrjamboree TDPRI Member

Have you played one like it before? I think it's my simplest option.

7. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Absolutely right.
    That's mine in my avatar. B-5 Bigsby and a Mastery bridge. It works great, very stable, no tuning issues.
    I have another Tele with a B-5 on it, and it has the Bigsby model of the Jaguar bridge. It works, but is finicky. The Mastery blows it away.
    Highly recommended.

8. mrjamboree

mrjamboree TDPRI Member

How hard do you use the tele? If he wants Neil Young I'm not gonna want to have to hold back! I also do a fair amount of plucking with my fingers so will I have to worry much about popping out the strings? I know Mastery says online that won't happen but I take that as a challenge.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

download.jpg I always liked these, and they come with a guitar too.:twisted:
    All kidding aside, the Stetsbar is really nice and the B5 Bigsby.

mrjamboree likes this.
  10. Teleguy61

I don't play as hard as Neil Young does, but I have had no problem with strings popping out.

11. mrjamboree

mrjamboree TDPRI Member

And that's the 4.1 Mastery setup on your tele?

12. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Fingers do a nice vibrato....

13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I've played a factory Bigsby 67 and I have a Setzer Hotrod with Bigsby and roller bridge. Great tuning stability on both even with 1.5 step divebombs, great twang. Not familiar with mastery bridge but the stocker works good if setup. Most complaints with Bigsby appear to be with unpinned and solid saddles.

14. Wayne Alexander

mrjamboree, if your question for me is whether I have a Tele with a B5 Bigsby and that Mastery bridge on it, yes I do, it works really well.

15. mrjamboree

mrjamboree TDPRI Member

How long have you had it? Did you have to also replace the string nut?

16. Wayne Alexander

I've had it about 2 years. I did not have to replace the nut, but I always use well-cut tusq or bone nuts, which don't bind the strings. I tried several other types of bridge on that guitar, including regular 3-saddle brass saddles and notched versions of those, nothing else held the strings in place well as the Mastery does. The strings don't move side to side with the Mastery.

mrjamboree likes this.
  17. Teleguy61

Mine is the M1, to replace the Jaguar style bridge that came on the guitar.

mrjamboree likes this.
  18. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

19. mrjamboree

mrjamboree TDPRI Member

And there's no wear in the mastery bridge with the strings sliding over it as opposed to rocking with it?

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Why are you set on Mastery?

My view is that the stock 3 saddle bridge is a far better mousetrap. Mod the back of the plate or just buy on pre-set to work with B5. I think Callham and Gotoh both make them.

But then, I think if you put 11s on a Jazzmaster and have enough neck angle the stock Jazzmaster bridge is the best mousetrap for that guitar as well.

macatt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.