Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

VHT Special 6 Tube Substitution

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by pete-strych, Dec 7, 2015.

1. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Clark, like Gatordad said it's best to run the impedance switch one step higher than the speaker when running a big bottle tube but since your speaker is a 16 ohm it's best to run the impedance switch in 16. I know lots of Special 6 and Ultra owners do this and I've never heard of anyone burning up an output transformer. VHT intentionally overbuilt their OT so it could handle big bottle tubes with the stock 16 ohm speaker.

2. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Thanks Rob and Gatordad...

Maybe I got it backwards, 8ohm into the 16 ohm

3. phrunZ

phrunZ TDPRI Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Germany
    Hey Folks, I changed the speaker to a Eminence Legend 1258. I swapped the stock tubes to a JJ 6V6S and a JJ 5751. After swapping the tubes and turning the amp on again it worked perfect, but after increasing the volume to 1 o'clock I heard a crack noise and the amp was silent. So it is now. I put the old tubes back in the amp but also, no sound. Nothing. What's wrong? Maybe the fuse is dead? But honestly I don't know where the fuse is in this amp?
    I hope somebody could help me! Greetings from Germany!

4. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    US
    The fuse is in a small clip that slides into the power cord socket on the back of the chassis. You'll need a small flathead screwdriver or similar tool to slip it out - there's a small indentation you'll see when you look closely - but it comes out pretty easily with that.

phrunZ likes this.

5. phrunZ

phrunZ TDPRI Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Germany
    I will try this, thanks for your reply!

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    You've gotten some good answers -

But what is the specific need? How could the need best specific from a technical standpoint yet not take into account that specific amp's capabilities? Swapping tubes is going to change the sound, different single-mended amps very often have totally different gain structures...

I just don't understand the question or need. Sure, the question cane answered - but there's no tonal framework in the question at all.

What does "boutique" have to do with the sound you need - and what sound *do* you need, since "single ended boutique" doesn't define any sound all?

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS

8. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2012
    This project is long gone, & honestly I thought this thread I started was dead a while ago. But, I'm answering your question, Silverface. I've since built a new studio completely, & currently I've been recording guitars "in the box" with a variety of amp sims, IR's, etc., although I do have an ISO room & ISO cab plan for the near future, so I'll be adding tube amps again , and re-amping capabilities...
    Anyway, back to your inquiries. Myself & another guitarist had access to 3 gigantic pedalboards (with about 14+ overdrive, fuzz, & distortion pedals), 1 rack system, & 6-8 tube amps or heads +cabs. At that time, we were running the amps clean or just at edge of breakup, while adding dirt with pedals. I particularly wanted a 6L6 amp that didn't shatter my windows or crack the walls like the 4x10 Hotrod DeVille in the building. I used to own a Kendrick Champ-style tweed amp that sounded wonderful with a 6L6 or coke bottle KT66. I missed that sound, big with a glassy tight bottom, but not too loud. The budget was there to add a small inexpensive single-ended head that we could control volume-wise, & run cleanish thru a variety of cabs (large & small). We had enough preamps & OD pedals on hand to craft many tones. So we wanted a tiny, single 6L6 tube head to be the blank canvas for one guitar track, that we could color with the pedalboards, that's all. When I mentioned, "Boutique," I really meant hand-wired without printed circuit board. That way we could actually snip out components & solder in a simple mod to adjust the sound if needed, since I used to repair amps. Since the head would be inexpensive, we'd fell better performing a minor tweak. Tonally, we already had a plethora of great amps--we just lacked that 6L6 from my past that I still lusted for, if that makes any sense to ya. I hope this clarified things maybe a little, about my original post.

9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Great info - and my bad for not noticing the original date of the thread. Really complete, informative stuff though - the nice thing about this forum is info like that is perpetual on the web and Google searches lead here quite often. So those looking for similar info re VHT's compact units may well find their way here!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.