Vertex Silver String, Dumble in a box? Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by SPUDCASTER, Jun 17, 2019.

1. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Anyone have one?

2. SPUDCASTER

Appears not.

3. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

It's a very light overdrive pedal... If you are expecting Robben Ford or Larry Carlton it's better to skip this one.
    And nope, I don't have one.

4. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

The 'Steel String'? I don't see a 'Silver String'

I'm not a fan of Vertex. They have some sketchy business practices. They also have two overdrive pedals that are supposed to be 'Dumble in a box' but they're named after clean dumble circuits. (The Steel String Singer and Ultraphonix amps were very clean platforms, so why are they making overdrive pedals with those names on them??)

They may be nice sounding drives, but they come off as very gimmicky and just trying to make money off tagging their stuff with Dumble names. They also got called out on their 'Dumble comparison' where they claimed they tested their pedals against a real Dumble, (serial #97) but it was in fact a clone. (Which would've been fine had they divulged that, but they denied it when they were called out on it and provided proof their amp wasn't a genuine example.)

bgmacaw, Obsessed and Keefsdad like this.
  5. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

The Ultraphonix is a Zendrive clone, BTW. I've seen pictures of one cracked open.

6. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I built a DIY one... not impressed.

7. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I built one and so did @zippofan.

I really, really like it but it’s quite different from dirt pedals and overdrives. It’s a clean boost so what I found is that it doesn’t get loud and pushy. It can but I find it gets really clear bell tones and lots of upper midrange detail without being harsh or compressed. You can just crank it and push the amp into SRV overdrive too but I like the clean super high resolution sound it provides.

zippofan likes this.
  8. awasson

Regarding Vertex sketchy past, I read a very detailed set of posts last year about that. The guy who’s behind it, came clean, refunded the people who had been mislead and owned up to it. I don’t recall all of the details but I do recall him coming clean, admitting to being misleading (said he was young and stupid but learned some valuable lessons in the process) and gave back any ill gotten money’s. I give him a pass and appreciate his actions.

blueruins likes this.
  9. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

'Cause it's a Vertex...

10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

11. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Definitely worth building, full kit available from FuzzDog though I just get PCBs and source my own parts.

sss_top.jpg

It's a four FET design, traces were from the stomp box forums and FuzzD made up the boards/kits.

awasson likes this.
  12. SPUDCASTER

It is the "Steel String", my bad.

Guess I'll just stick with the "Rat".

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I still hear stories of sketchy stuff, so for me personally, I'll stay clear. There are other pedal makers I feel the same way about. YMMV.

Keefsdad likes this.
  14. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I've just re-boxed mine... and changed my opinion. It must be very amp dependant as I've recently started using my 5E3 again and it sounds glorious through that.

zippofan and awasson like this.
  15. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Vertex? Not in a million and one years.

Anacharsis likes this.
  16. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I built one as well. It's pretty much what you'd expect from looking at the schematic. It's basically a Blues Driver, but with less gain and a less powerful tone control. It has some nice lower gain sounds. Very bright sounding. I don't mind it at all. But if I put it side by side with the Blues Driver I built, I bet I can get 95% of the sounds out of BD2 (which I also like).

But if your thinking goes into "I'll build a Rat" territory, you probably like more gain then this thing has to offer.

17. awasson

Yes, I think the amp probably plays into it. I've only used mine with my Tiny/Holy Terror Clone amp. It sounds outstanding.

18. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

That's good to hear, since my next project is a 5E3! I thought the pedal sounded good though my little 1 watter Wang's head (Celestion 1x8) and my modded Valve Jr (1x10" Weber alnico Blue Pup).

19. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I've not seen the Steel String. I do have the Vertex boost w/one knob. One of the best clean boosts I've heard.

20. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I went and investigated it, and it's actually mostly (or even totally) an Orman Booster 2.5:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/booster25.JPG

...The Booster 2.5 is basically two Orman/AMZ Miniboosters in tandem, with a tone control at the end. It's a DIY project that's been around for almost two decades.

For those who are versed in reading schematics, take a closer look. The Booster 2.5 is basically the precursor for Ed Guidry's BSIAB II. And that MIAB spawned a ton of derivatives or clones, to (most famously) include the Vex Box of Rock and Distortron.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.