Venison

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 6, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I think a lot of the so-called "gaminess" that people taste may be from less than great meat processors. You don't know what kind of care they take in preparing your meat when you take it them. You don't even know if it's the deer you turned in to them. The deer that they butchered and gave to you might've been sitting somewhere a day or two in warm weather before they gave it to the butcher.

I did that just once and after that did my own butchering.

There's not a lot to it. The steaks are cut from different muscle groups in the legs and neck and are easily separated. There's a long muscle along each side of their backbone which is the "backstrap". There's also a great cut of meat inside the rib cage called the tenderloin.

You can buy a knife kit from Outdoor Edge that has everything you need to butcher your own deer. Saves a heck of a lot of money.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    lineboat likes this.
  2. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I have a Winchester 94 30-30 from 1969. I also have a Marlin 45-70 1895 and a 1895 "Cowboy" model 45-70.

lineboat likes this.
  3. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I'm pretty surprised with the positive replies I got in this thread about eating venison. I hunt on an "indian" reservation and most of the guys don't know how to hunt even though they could just walk a couple of blocks from their houses and harvest a deer. Most of them don't eat deer either.

4. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I bought the 336. Do those pack a thump like this one does? This one don’t “kick” as much as it “pushes”.

5. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I load the minimum charge for 45-70 and it packs a punch! Kicks more than any other rifle I have. The Rossi 454 Casull lever action rifle is close though.

lineboat likes this.
  6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

The Hornady LeveRevolution ammo should breathe new life in to the old .30-.30.

lineboat likes this.
  7. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Caring for the meat quickly after the shot and cooling it will do a lot to protect the flavor. Allowing it to sit covered in ice for 5 days in a cooler with the drain open will remove most of the myoglobin from the meat.

I, like everyone else, particularly like to fry and grill the loin/backstrap and inner tenderloin.

I also like to smoke a hind quarter or shoulder, and cube steak and smoked sausage are good as well. I don't love the ground venison even with a generous blend of beef fat, it is just OK and I can live without it. If it is blended with other red meat it is more palatable.

Stubee and lineboat like this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've tried it , and moose, ( my wife wont touch it) in jerky, steaks and stews , not a big fan as much as I am a consumate carnivour , same with Pheasant, grouse, Quail, couldnt wrap my tastebuds around it ,JMHO

lineboat likes this.
  9. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

It really does transform it. That’s what I picked up to start with on this 45-70 and it shoots really well in it too.

10. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

I'm a fan of venison although I don't eat it much.

11. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I'd rather load my own though I do use the Leverevolution powder sometimes.

12. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The CWD thing is kinda scary. I think venison may be off my menu now.

13. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

To me, the key is to get the glands out immediately once you make the kill. That musk will definitely contaminate the meat if you don't, and there's your "gaminess". Never had a problem with gaminess as long as I did that, and was careful dressing the carcass.

14. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

Good for you, good for the environment, just plain good.
    I remember staying by a fjord in Norway . with family friends who had enough land to take a wild elk every year.
    As we ate, the owner/hunter said this, "You're eating an animal that ate exactly what it wanted!"
    It's a big deal)

RodeoTex likes this.
  15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

If you did that for me, there is No Way it would last long enough to do that!
    NOPE!!!

16. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

A long time ago we did that with a deer roast. My moms cousin husband deer hunt and they ate it all the time. I forgot how it taste it has been so long. I'm old now.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  17. DanoCC

DanoCC TDPRI Member

Venison can be fantastic but there are several variables to consider. Where the deer comes from and their diet makes a big difference. If they are grain fed and are properly cared for after the kill, they can be absolutely superb. It is critical to age the meat for a couple of weeks minimum and possibly a month depending on how tough the deer is and where it is from. The backstrap can be better than a beef Filet Mignon if prepared properly. It is always best to marinade in olive oil and cook rare to medium rare as deer is a very lean meat, and can dry out if cooked too long. It is very easy to dry out if you are not careful. Of course, chicken fried backstrap is fantastic. Another cut I really enjoy is the ham. I like to de-bone the ham and cut long slits in the meat so I can insert bell peppers, onions, garlic and bacon. I then tie it back up so that the ingredients are kept inside. I actually use some stainless steel wire that I use to sew the ham back together and hold everything intact. I cook it on a hot fire so that the outside is seared and the meat inside is rare and juicy. Attached is an example of how this turns out...

Attached Files:

18. bschmidt717

bschmidt717 TDPRI Member

Up until last year I never kept the shank meat or the ribs now those two cuts are some of my favorite. With the shanks I make Osso Bucco and with the ribs I cook them in the crockpot all day in stock and then right before we eat them I put BBQ sauce on and then throw them on the grill to give them a quick char to me they are just as good as any pork ribs I have ever had.

19. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Hes talking about BRAIN DESTROYING PRIONS. Same as "Mad Cow". Anyone eating wild Deer needs to read up on it to see if their area has outbrakes.
    I had some Venison that was marinated for a couple a days to get rid of that roof-of-the-mouth film. Very good.

20. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

A friend was feed Kangaroo in jail. Cruel and unusual punishment ? Also, odd Croc doesn t taste like Chicken, Alligator does.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.