Venison

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 6, 2019.

1. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Big fan of venison, elk and especially bison, which I prefer to beef

2. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

I went hunting for the first time this past year and was lucky enough to get a small spike...with my grandpa's 1937 Winchester 94. I had it processed as I don't have the time or resources to do it myself. I asked the processor for five summer sausages, which was a mistake as each sausage is like 18" long. So I ended up with two roasts, some small steaks, backstraps and loins.

I've really enjoyed learning recipes to use with the meat. Cooked the loins first and they were delicious. On par with the best beef I've ever had. I just marinated them in oil, Worcestershire sauce and Weber's Black Peppercorn marinade mix that a buddy at work gave me as that's what he uses, browned them in a pan and then baked them until medium. My 6 year-old daughter even like it and she is iffy on most meat. I made a stew over the holidays for the family with one of the roasts. Made meatloaf with another roast, mixed with pork sausage. My wife made a panang curry out of some lesser steaks, which was fantastic. I only have some backstrap left, which I'm saving for a dinner with some gourmand friends here soon...and of course a bunch of summer sausage and a few packs of hunter's sticks.

Hopefully the luck will continue here in November.

3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Meister

I personally do not eat game unless I am in a survival situation. I just do not find game to be very appetizing. Trust me, I do know what I am missing.

4. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

We harvest 2 or 3 deer every year. Often, when there is a potluck, or we have people over, I'll use ground venison or sausage if it's a typical beef recipe. I stopped telling people it's venison. If they found out, they wouldn't eat it. But if I say nothing, they never ask.

Also our processor makes an incredible smoked jalapeno cheddar sausage. I'll usually get an entire deer turned in to that stuff.

I think I know what I'm cooking for dinner tonight :D

lineboat likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Can't stand it. Too gamey for me. Sausage can be good though.

6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with her.

I prefer to get my meat and fish from a grocery store sitting on styrofoam and wrapped in plastic or cooked for me in a restaurant. It is morally superior because no animals die that way.

I prefer to buy my vegetables or get them in a restaurant as well, because that way no land is cleared and animals killed through habitat loss like it would be if I grew my own in a garden or bought local at the farmers' market.

:twisted::twisted:

7. Modernelove

Modernelove TDPRI Member

I always figured it was their diet, I’m also not a fan of grass fed beef for the same reason.

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

We enjoy venison and we enjoy reading about cooking venison and preparing venison roasts and steaks.

I never have my venison mixed with pork or beef at the butcher.

Hunting and harvesting a nice sized deer enables us to eat 100 pounds of meat that is natural and organic. That's special.

I've mentioned before that I sell packaging equipment and supplies for a living. I've done this for 34 years and I'm actually a sales manager in a national company and I focus on modified atmosphere food and medical packaging.

I can make meat on a foam tray at a chain supermarket store appear pink and beautiful for 3+ weeks. Google MAP Packaging (modified atmosphere packaging). Nitrogen works miracles with food. Nitrogen prevents rotting and spoilage and discoloration and flavor migration. Flavor migration is when you buy a bag-o-mixed salad and the lettuce tastes like the radish slices and the radish slices taste like the carrot slices (this is gross - nitrogen prevents this for a month). I can make hamburger stay pink and I can make hearts of romaine stay bright green in a fancy plastic bag for weeks upon weeks. Walmart views meat the same way they view underwear; it's inventory that should turn in three weeks or so. o_O FWIW when you open the packages the nitrogen leaches into the air and the food starts to spoil at a normal rate. The nitrogen is harmless - you're breathing nitrogen right now. I simply prefer natural food.

I hunt, we garden, we keep bees and we have an adorable Amish built chicken coop by our garden. We shop at farmers markets. Guitarzan nailed it.

Venison roast slow cooked with garlic and red wine and herbs and a side of pasta. Yes!

william tele, DFB1, jannodude and 3 others like this.
  9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

If I lived next door to you, I would be climbing over the Fence every time you lit that grill!

10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I read this thread and came back to it. And I read it again. I'm not a hunter. Venison tastes OK to me. In fact a friend's wife made an amazing sauerbraten with venison. I have pretty good taste memory. I remember what venison steak and ground venison taste like. Years back, my youngest son was an exchange student at the University of New South Wales in Australia. My wife and I went to visit him and get in a great vacation at the same time. We tasted the local delicacies including kangaroo. Well if kangaroo doesn't taste like venison, nothing else does. Crocodile doesn't taste like chicken at all, but at least the taste isn't objectionable. I could hijack the thread with Australia stories but maybe one day, I'll just start one. It was one of those trip of a lifetime vacations.

HappyHwy1owner likes this.
  11. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

If it doesn't go moo or oink oink it does not make it to my plate.
    Chicken and turkeys make the cut also...

12. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

My favorite chili, you bet!

13. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

I love animals. They are delicious.

HappyHwy1owner likes this.
  14. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I like butchering the deer I harvest. Doesn't bother me in the least. I'm certain that the meat I have will be top grade. I age it in my fridge for 4 days to a week. You just have to keep the temps under 40 degrees. Then I make the cuts into steaks or burger cuts and put them into Foodsaver bags and freeze. I have the smaller size freezer but may upgrade into the big one next season.

A vintage 30-30 Winchester could be like a 50s Fender Tele... :)

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    lineboat likes this.
  15. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Mine's in .32 Special, so it's kinda like a 50s Esquire.

lineboat likes this.
  16. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

The deer here mostly eat corn, alfalfa, clover and whatever else deer eat. They have plenty of forage around here. You can't get any greener.

No chemicals or steroids in this meat.

lineboat likes this.
  17. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Guitarzan...you're hilarious!!! :lol:

You mean they serve live fish and animals where you are and you eat them?

My sis is a dingbat.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  18. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I gave my next door neighbor a hindquarter and a backstrap and he made them into jerky!

Last time I do that. A waste of excellent steak.

String Tree likes this.
  19. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I have a sausage maker and an electric grinder but I haven't used them yet to make hamburger or sausage.

Something I'm looking forward to.

String Tree and lineboat like this.
  20. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I think the key to getting rid of that strong taste is to soak, rinse, repeat. You can get rid of most of that old nastiness. Same with catfish. Cut out that mud vein, soak and rinse a few times, and it tastes nice and clean.

As far as the old lever rifles go, I have a model 94 my grandpa bought right after he came back from WWII. Killed my first deer with it. It’s not kinda retired now, and I picked up its replacement a few weeks ago in the shoulder thumping
    45-70.

Bellacaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.