Venison

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 6, 2019.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I enjoy the unusually great tasting whitetail around here. A young two or three year old buck before the rut, is the best. I always process my own. A couple butterflys braised in butter and brandy is my favorite. Drizzle the leftover juices on top of some wild rice and steamed baby carrots and life doesn't get any better.

kLyon, RodeoTex, william tele and 3 others like this.
  2. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Oh yea, we like it around here. I don't see a problem with it. Well... only one.

http://cwd-info.org/faq/

Seriously, this hasn't stopped people form hunting, but please be aware.

Back strap we call tenderloin, is some of the finest meat. Combine this with fresh caught crappie and morels. Wow!

Don't forget some greens!

rcole_sooner likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I like venison, been a while since I've gone hunting, but a couple of my nephews are avid hunters. One gave me some excellent venison from I think from all places Texas a while back, it was especially tasty.

4. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It's been a while since I have had any venison or other game. I did not care for venison, but a friend gave me some elk steaks, which were wonderful. It could be that I simply did not prepare it correctly, I think I made it like a roast with potatoes and carrots.

Come to think of it, even roast beef can be a little hit or miss for me.

5. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

Wait! You had me at crappie, but I’ll stay for the greens. There is not a better tasting fish out there in my opinion.

william tele likes this.
  6. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

We only keep the backstraps. We burger the rest with 10% pork shoulder and various spices.

RodeoTex likes this.
  7. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

I prefer elk over venison.
    Here the venison is also sage fed.

I haven't had any venison from The Plains yet. I'm guessing it tastes better.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

CWD hasn't made it to my side of the divide ... yet. Such a sad thing to happen.

We have morels within 25 yards of the house. Should be popping up with the first hot sun of the season coming later this week.:)

HappyHwy1owner likes this.
  9. Bootstrap

Bootstrap Tele-Meister Vendor Member

I don't hunt, but every year I get some venison from a friend who does. In return, I provide morels around this time of year. Ground or chunk venison, mushrooms, onion, and whole grape tomatoes in a skillet. Salt, pepper and a bit of garlic powder. Can't beat it!

RodeoTex and lineboat like this.
  10. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

A lady who cuts my hair (military cut) says she makes chili from venison people give to her. I'm going to give her some later this month and ask for a recipe.

sardinista likes this.
  11. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

They say that the reason people think it's "gamey" is that the meat hasn't been aged correctly.

I find nothing wrong with the taste of the meat.

RodeoTex and lineboat like this.
  12. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Makes great chilly.

13. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Holic

I made my in-laws Elk spaghetti (grounded Elk meat with added beef fat I received from my step-father who’s an avid hunter). They enjoyed it quite a bit, we didn’t tell them at first but after they consumed it.

They were a little bewildered by the idea initially but were happy to try Elk. Sometimes you just have to let people taste it first before letting them know or else their preconceived idea will not allow them to even try it!

RodeoTex and SlightReturn like this.
  14. SlightReturn

SlightReturn TDPRI Member

I’ve only had tenderloin, it was great. We don’t have the hunting culture here (UK) that you do over there, but as I’m interested in “The Outdoors” and I am consciously aware of where food actually comes from (and I’m ok with it), I take a bit more of an interest in it than most, I think. I love elk but it’s astronomically expensive here.
    My wife only eats fish, beef or chicken, occasionally pork; which means most of the time I eat different meat is at restaurants. I’ll gladly give virtually anything a try, although I find a lot of game a little too rich for my taste.

HappyHwy1owner likes this.
  15. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I grew up on it. We would’ve starved without it. I honestly didn’t know you could buy vegetables until I was grown. Always thought you had to have a 6 acre garden. Now that my dad has retired, his main goal is finding the best ways to prepare deer and fish.

kLyon, DFB1 and Bootstrap like this.
  16. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yummy!

IMG_0010.JPG

17. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

I prefer venison to beef.

18. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I love it.

Here in Spain the traditional way is venison stew

kLyon and lineboat like this.
  19. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Elk is the best. Makes great burgers with pork fat. I've got some elk sausage my brother made (Chef Milo's Country Venison Sausage, from Ruhlman and Polcyn's "Charcuterie") in the freezer. Deer makes the best chili. Had one run into the side of my car last week, but the mofo just got bruised. I've always butchered myself, but I'm done with that.

I used to live in shotgun territory. That's a tough kill. Haven't got myself a deer rifle. My MIL let me choose one of her late husband's guns. I picked the 1897 Winchester . There was a nice .30-30 Winchester I might hint at if she still has it.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    lineboat likes this.
  20. fnkmstr

fnkmstr TDPRI Member

Don't hunt, but benefit from friends who do. Tenderloin is the best, love chili made with the ground sausage. Cocking venison was the only time I couldn't keep the Dobes out of the kitchen. They did get the cooked scraps and gristle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.