Van Morrison - Real Real Gone

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, May 22, 2019.

1. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

VM is probably my favorite artist of all time. Even though this was not was a hit, I think that one could do this live. Do you think this tune would fly with your normal audience?

elihu, screefer, Georox and 3 others like this.
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I wish him well, I've admired him from afar.

3. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I don't play out, but my experience of listening out makes me think that taking on any Van Morrison tune is a big job. The number of times I've seen VTM butchered by otherwise competent bands . . . well, I'd just say practice a few weeks extra before turning this loose on paying customers.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

Great song, I'd play it. I also do Bright side of the road and Here comes the night

Dan R likes this.
  5. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Down here in the Philippines, people love cheesy cover versions of Have I Told You Lately That I Love You? When I play them VM's original version, their minds are usually blown when they realise how much better it is.

6. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I thought it was a minor hit, wasn't it? I definitely remember this being played on Top 40 radio back in the day in the Philadelphia region.

Dan R and maxvintage like this.
  7. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

I love the soul men "shout outs" on the fade!

Dan R likes this.
  8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've always liked this song. It might sound like there isn't much to it, but... it has to be sung with the right feel and the band needs to be really tight. It would be easy to miss the mark with this one, on stage.

Dan R likes this.
  9. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

It was a hit here. Got lot's of airplay, part of the 1990 soundtrack for me.

Dan R likes this.
  10. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Not my favorite VM song. I’ve played lots of VM covers. They depend entirely on the audiences willingness to suspend disbelief. He’s unique.

He’s pretty much impossible to imitate vocally. And he’s such a weird, fantastic blend of r&b and mystical hippie. Take a song like “into the mystic.” Just about the time when you’re starting to get fed up with the hippy dippy lyrics and noticing they don’t make sense, BAM those horns come in with a line that brings it all down to earth and completely redeems it.

Also how does Van always get his records to sound loose and live, like he has a real band playing? One of the other great things about van is the songs always sound like a great bar band or r&b show band, not like the greatest players you’ve ever heard, but like good players having a good night. How does he pull that off? By all accounts he’s a sourpuss and a distant and difficult guy.

I guess it’s just the voice—he has such a strong and distinctive approach that he pulls the band into that feel.

His record with Joey DeFrancesco is pretty damn good. It’s such an odd pairing—the reigning king of jazz on the Hammond b3 and Van. And he plays some credible alto sax too

Dan R likes this.
  11. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Thanks for all the comments. Come to think of it, this tune did get some airplay. Van may actually be more popular than I imagine. There are much easier VM songs to perform than this one. Plus, you almost have to have a horn section on this one, which is rare for a live band.

maxvintage has a good point about Van's voice. It is unique and difficult to imitate. Van certainly can cover so much ground: R&B, Jazz, Blues, Folk, Celtic, etc. Not many artists can pull that off and do so for decades. His sax playing is unique as well. The story is that he was he was rejected by a number of bands because he was told they didn't need another guitar player. He then learned how to play the saxophone and got as gig.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.