Valvetrain Amplification Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by valiant, Jul 9, 2009.

1. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Great to hear that he is doing well! Sounds like my theory is BS and I will let go of it now that you have shared your experience! Can't see crap from Alaska, except for Russia of course!! :lol::lol:

90% of my playing is through a tweed champ with a 10" speaker stuffed in it! I love it! Spend some time with it, you'll pull good tones out!

2. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Yeah. It sounds great as-is.They still make the concord but now it comes in a bigger cab with either a Weber 12" or an Eminence Legend. I wish I had gotten one of those, although I don't loooove the way they look particularly. If I can find someone locally to build the cab relatively cheap then I'll do it. If I go through mojotone or someone they have to do a one-off and that's pretty expensive. I think they quoted me around $360 or something. If I could find someone to build it for around $200 or even $250 I'd probably do it. Then throw a hemp-coned speaker in there and I'd be set ;)
    We'll see.

3. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Still rocking a Trenton. Easily the most bullet proof amp I have ever owned! Over 6 years and it still sounds fantastic. I get antsy to try other things sometimes. I did get a PRRI which sounds cool but feels cheesy when compared to the build quality of the VT.

Just bumping the Owner's thread out of respect!

4. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

I'm not a VT owner but I'm in a position where I might be looking for a new amp soon and I'm constantly looking to see if there are any good VT deals out there.

5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Valvetrain 427 5881 tube 427front (2).jpg 427gut (2).jpg 427top (2).jpg 427back (2).jpg

6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I got a Valvetrain Saratoga a couple months ago, and have been ridiculously impressed by it. I traded a taylor acoustic I valued at $650 for it, feel I made out like a Bandit. Put a Scumback H75 65 watt speaker in it and TAD 6V6s. It totally hangs with my Z28. I actually prefer it when plugged straight in! Great amp, especially with humbuckers and P90s!

bftfender likes this.
  7. bftfender

Thats cool !! I have been learning mine & started to dial a Strat in decently. They are def well made amps ! What circuit is the Saratoga sorta based on?

8. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

No idea what it's based on, but heres my opinion. It's a 16 watt cathode biased 5Y3 rectified dual 6V6 combo, so theres got to be some Tweed Deluxe in there. It's got some of that "sag" to it. But it's got a Marshally sounding preamp. Much more gain, and it's much tighter than a 5E3. It actually has decent clean headroom when set clean. I prefer it cranked up with a Les Paul, riding the gtr vol from clean to crunch. It's more Marshall than BF Fender. Brownface Fender liue, but tighter and gainier.

bftfender likes this.
  9. bftfender

Very cool, i thought it might have a lil gain. I would def enjoy that amp, the 6v6 has to be a blast with some gain & the break up..

10. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I have a tele, a strat, a dual P90 tele and a Les Paul. It definitely favors the hotter guitars. It's not a metal amp, not really a hard rock amp by today's standards. But, it does that 1970s classic hard rock well. But so do a lot of amps. The Valvetrain is just very dynamic and responsive to pick attack and gtr vol knob changes, which I love. The Scumback and TAD tubes were definite improvements over the EMINENCE Wizard and EH tubes.

bftfender likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.