Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Valvecaster w/ Muff Tone??

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by jddub440, May 8, 2017.

1. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2015
    Tacoma
    Can I add this Big Muff tone control to this tone-less Valvecaster schematic??
    1494286123000.jpg 1494286133079.jpg

If so, I'd also like to try to include a toggle switch that disables the tone pot from the rest of the Valvecaster so that it can still function as the Valvecaster schematic before the tone pot was added!

TeleOrLes likes this.
  2. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2015
    Tacoma
    I also forgot to ask....does this tone schematic look any good???

3. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I'm no tube expert by ant stretch of the imagination, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2015
    Tacoma
    Cool, so please correct me if this is incorrect:
    I would take the Volume Pot Lug 2 and follow that to become the input of the Tone Control schematic...follow that schem and take that Tone Lug 2 to the Tip of the Output Jack.

Chip.Lindsey likes this.
  6. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    Also not an expert but I'm pretty sure it should go before the volume control not after. I think you would replace c3 with the tone circuit but I'm not positive.

7. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    I don't know about replacing C3 with the tone circuit. I believe that C3 is your decoupling cap. If you go back to your Matsumin Valve Caster drawing to see where the original tone pot (that nobody uses) is in relation to C3. If you're going to try a different tone stack with this, you should check out the stuff on muzique.com. This is a great site for effect mods. Be prepared to expand your mind & really learn some cool & important stuff. There's a ton of stuff about tone stacks & where to use them.

8. Armo

Armo Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2008
    Wales
    My take is that you should put it between Valve pin 6 and C3. C3 should be 1uf and not 10nf. Check that as it was mis-labeled.

TeleOrLes likes this.
  9. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    I'm going to gradually post a few starved plate drawings that may help out. This first one on this pdf file is a really cool looking circuit that can be built to run on low voltage. They use a 12AX7 for the tube which I personally would stay away from. It has a mosfet boost that feeds the tube a hotter signal. The mosfet in the circuit is a BS170. You could also use a 2n7000 or a VN2222LL. All 3 of the mentioned mosfets are really inexpensive. The 2N7000 I've seen on eBay for as low as $1.00/50, shipped! With the exception of the tube this circuit can be built for a few bucks. I think that I mentioned before that I'm building this one with a VN2222LL for the boost & a 6N16B-N sub mini Russian tube. I'll clue you & anyone interested in when I find out how well this works.

Attached Files:

10. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    I'm glad that you caught that. On most Valve Caster type drawings that I've seen C3 is a 1uf cap. I usually use a non polarized box styrene or a multi layer monolithic ceramic capacitor.

11. Armo

Armo Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2008
    Wales
  12. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2015
    Tacoma
    Anybody happen to know if this Tone & Body schem is any good and if it is feasable to use in place of or add to the current Valvecaster schematics?? Or is it not really meant for this type of effect and a waste of time???
    1495246570034.jpg

13. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Post schematics instead of the layouts. The layouts are not easy to read.

14. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2015
    Tacoma
    Ahhhh OK so these things that I post are layouts and schematics are actually more like this... or this... 1495249215320.jpg . 1495249191340.png
    Correct??
    I'm sorry almost all of this is still very new to me. The layouts that I've posted are the only things I'm able to understand at the moment. By far easier for me. I am currently trying to figure out how to read those schematics by putting the layout side-by-side with the schem.
    Is there a higher possibility for error with the layouts?? Or is it just that the layouts are very amateur reads (like the difference between the child's version of a book and the actual novel)???

15. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Those are all layouts. Schematics use standardized icons for the components and are the preferred way to show a circuit. I guess you could consider layouts to be like a cartoon version of a schematic or a pictogram of how it should look when assembled. When discussing circuits, it's best to use a schematic. It's quick and easy to read. You have to spend time looking at a layout to figure out what it's doing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    TeleOrLes likes this.
  16. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    That is just another another big muff tone control. If both of those tone controls were drawn up as schematics, it would have taken 2 seconds to recognize that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    I've had this tone stack calculator for a while & it comes in handy from time to time. You can get it on the Duncan Amps site, http://www.duncanamps.tsc. This has examples & a calculator for Fender, Marshall, Vox..........type tone stacks. I hope this helps. :cool:

jddub440 likes this.
  18. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.