Value of a Epiphone Elite 335 Dot ???

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Gene O., May 26, 2019.

1. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

This will be for sale as part of an estate sale. I was given a first look at what will be available and this was kind of interesting. The only thing I found like it on Reverb (this one) had a price of $1675. Seems kinda high but I don't know anything about them. I know for a fact this one has never left the house and is in mint condition.

thumbnail-2.jpeg

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. chris302

chris302 NEW MEMBER!

Hello, I have the exact same one that I bought 15 years ago for aproximetaly the price you referred to. It is a very good guitar for the price, made in Japan but assembled in USA, and all the electronic parts are made there too by Gibson. Elistist guitars are really well built. PUs are good but I upgraded them. It is a high quality epiphone almost as good, or even better according to some reviews, than a Gibson, and really worth it for the price.

Epiphone elite or elitist have been discountinued. I honestly don’t now their current market price. For the quality and the fact that epiphone do not produce them anymore, they are quite rare to find, and maybe the price would be justified. But on the other hand, it is “only” an epiphone, which resale value is not a good as others brands.

That said, you should definitively try to negotiate the price.

3. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

That Reverb price seems high, seeing as that was about what the guitar sold for new. Half that, say $800 should get you a used one any place else. Maybe even less depending on the shape. Guitars are a lot like cars, in that once they leave the showroom, they depreciate regardless of how much they are used.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

5. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Overpriced, IMO. I like MIJ guitars and am very familiar with the rang of quality available. I would look at selling prices, not asking prices. Maybe they're going up for the MIJ Epis. I wouldn't pay it, but maybe the market value is there now.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

In the UK they sell for anywhere from about £800-£1200, so $1500 would be about the top end. There's been a nice blonde Elitist Sheraton on UK Ebay for ages at £1100.

They're made by Tereda who make the Pro-line Gretsch stuff, so they're pretty good guitars.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

WAY overpriced, by double, IMO.
    They are good sounding, and well made, but they languish on CL, and in shops unless they are about $700.
    MIJ Eitists (or Elites) and Orvilles don’t command much more respect than MIK’s, at least around here.
    I’ve bought and sold several Elitist LP’s, Sheratons (with mini humbuckers), and Chet Atkins models.
    I never plaid more than $750.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    bftfender and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

The Elites are going for around two grand.

9. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

I sold an Epiphone Les Paul Elite around a year ago for €700 and it took a while to shift at that price. It's like a lot of MIJ guitars, people claim they're highly collectible and sell for thousands, they even provide Ebay/Reverb links to prove it, but completed listings often tell a different story with hardly any selling for what is claimed. I have a JV Squier that I bought recently for a relatively good price, it sat for ages without any buyers before I made an offer and the seller nearly bit my hand off when I offered actual cash and not a trade!

The Elites are great guitars though, I found the neck way too skinny for me but that's personal preference. Build quality was absolutely top notch, I honestly can't say I've ever held a better built guitar.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

Thanks, all. I fully understand the difference between asking price and selling price, and I would also have to consider the inflated listing price due to fees and free shipping. I thought somewhere around 1K might be reasonable, but what do I know besides nothing? As for comparable guitars for sale, I don't consider a blonde or cherry red a comparable. I only looked for the sunburst, and an older one in mint condition. Not one with scratches. Anyway, BluesGuitarMart pointed out something that I probably can't live with - the neck size. I know the owner preferred smaller necks, and he never mentioned anything about this one being too fat.

You see, this and 10 other guitars were owned by an old forum friend of mine that recently passed away. His wife passed away shortly afterwards so now my friend's son in-law and sister have the task of selling 10 guitars and 3 amps. Most are Fenders, but there were two Episodes Elitists in the mix - this 335 and a goldtop LP. My friend went on a neck swapping binge just a few weeks ago and now more than half of the Fenders aren't in original condition. They are likely going to seek out someone to buy the lot and I think they are going to take quite a bath on that kind of a deal. I thought maybe the Epiphone 335 would be worth picking up before they dump everything, but I probably wouldn't be happy with the thinner neck profile.

11. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Tell them you will pay 500 for the epi- and you will sell off the rest of them on reverb- or some kind of deal like that. If it were my friend helping my family with my gear I would approve of such a deal.

12. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

I'm not so sure I want the Epiphone anymore. I really don't care for slim necks.

As for selling the other guitars, I'd like to be able to help them. But they would have to ship them from Dallas TX area to me NE Ohio first so I could sort them out, restore them... maybe part them out... then list them on Reverb. By the time we do all that and pay selling fees there may not be much left. I still have a few weeks to put a sharp pencil to this mess to see if it'd be worth doing... or come up with a better plan. The one executor (my friend's older sister) lives nearby, but I don't know how involved she wants to get. The other executor lives in RI. Neither knows one iota about guitars. The son in-law from RI thinks a local music store that he took his father in-law to will buy the entire lot. i think if they were to offer a deal that it'll be a very very LOW-ball offer. If that's the case (which I think it will be) they may go ahead and ship it all to me and let me sell everything little by little.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, I feel your dilemma being the guitar guru for their family, but honestly, I think it comes down to whether you want to take this project on. It is a big, time consuming commitment for you. I hope it is worth the effort, if you do it.

Gene O. likes this.
  14. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

It's a dilemma alright. I want to help, but just not sure if it's going to work out in everyone's favor. They said I can have the one guitar project that I helped my deceased friend put together, but when I looked at the pictures of the herd I noticed that that was one of the Teles that he put a Strat neck on. So the son in-law is going to have to either swap the necks for me or ship me both then I'll..... ??? It's just not a good situation all around.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Obsessed likes this.
  15. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

I was involved in a scenario much like the one your in.

Last December I was helping a friend of mine trying to connect a seller of 60+ guitars left by his father who passed away and a buyer.

My friend was attempting to help this guy out trying to move the collection on Reverb.

After about a few weeks he decided it was going to be a HUGE undertaking moving these guitars 1 at a time.

What didn't help was that the seller wanted MAX price for all the guitars regardless of their condition.

I told my friend that I knew a guy who owned a 2nd hand guitar shop who might buy the whole collection from him for a wholesale price.

My friend talked to the seller and my son and I went with my buddy to document and photograph all the guitars.

I sent all the documentation and the photos to the guitar shop owner.

He offered $50,000 for the whole lot.

The guitar shop owner and the seller went back and forth, and the final offer from the guitar shop owner was $55,000, which was about 65% of the market value for each guitar.

The seller wouldn't budge on anything less than $70,000.

The seller declined, and the whole collection has been sitting in a storage unit since.

The seller hasn't put any of the guitars on Reverb, E-bay, or CL.

The guitars shop owner has contacted me numerous times about still wanting to buy the collection.

Each time the seller refused.

The seller wants about 75-80% of the market value of the guitars, and isn't going to budge.

My friend and I have moved on from trying to help the seller and he's on his own.

16. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

@Texsunburst59 - Wow! I wouldn't go near a collection of 60 guitars. Moving this collection of 11 modestly priced guitars would not be a big deal. I think the son in-law will be lucky to get a local offer for $3500 for everything. I think it would likely be closer to $3000. Now that I've had some time to study the pictures he sent and do a little research I'm going to submit a proposal to him to help him out. I think that if he shipped the guitars to me I could still net him close to $3000 just for the guitars. He could then sell or consign the amps locally and get another $2000... maybe a little more. In turn I would keep one Telecaster.... maybe only the body. If he wants a minimum sale guarantee I'll just walk away.

Texsunburst59 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.