Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Value of a 1958 Top-Load Bridge?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by timmer, Nov 17, 2015.

1. timmer

timmer Tele-Afflicted

I've had this bridge in my parts box for a bunch of years and have used it for a while in several guitars, but it always goes back into the box.

Well, I'm cleaning out all of my parts that I don't need or could use, and am wanting to sell it.

Any idea on what it would be worth?

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many thanks to those that could shed some light on this.

Edited to add:

I thought I put this in the vintage section, would a mod please put it there?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015

2. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 11, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    They pop up on eBay rarely asking $450-> infinity. Cheapest I saw one sell for was just under $300.

3. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    It sure does not seem to have seen much use. Why do you think it is that old if I may ask?

4. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 11, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    Fender only produced this bridge in 1958 and 59.
    Many of the top-loader guitars from that brief period actually had bridges with both the string-through holes AND the top loader holes.
    Note the lack of string-through holes. This is a very rare beast indeed.

5. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    So it is because of the lack of string-through holes that you think it is original 1958, ok. It looks barely used to me and I recall the thread on the saddles appearing finer on old saddles, which made me doubt initially. I can confirm your info on the value, based on what I saw when I was looking for a 1950s tele bridge plate myself.

6. timmer

timmer Tele-Afflicted

Thanks guys.

I've had lingering questions on the saddles myself. I know they went threaded in 1958 and the height adjustment screws changed to almost 90 degrees. One of the saddles is around 90 degrees and the other two are a little less. Also the threads are courser than other pictures I've seen, as mentioned above.

It looks like I need to start digging on the net to see when the coursness of the threads and the height screw angle changed between years.

I don't want to misrepresent it if I do decide to sell.

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

7. LBUCKINGHAM

LBUCKINGHAM TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2017
    California
    Is this somehow still available? Haha. I'm looking for one at the moment.

8. jazzmaster90150

jazzmaster90150 TDPRI Member

Aug 6, 2017
    NYC
    They also used on 1960 teles and esquires even though they had string through bodies. I have one on my 1960 esquire.

9. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Looks legit to me. Toploaders aren't considered an improvement to string through - it was probably a cost reduction excercise which is why it lasted so short a time. That and the slimmer neck.

Conversely that makes them rare and arguably valuable. That is a rare bird.

10. LBUCKINGHAM

LBUCKINGHAM TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2017
    California
    And toploaders aren't considered any worse than string through either. Functionally they are the same, now you can argue they sound different, but it's hogwash and simply untrue. Scale length is the same, tuned to standard pitch so it is the same and the string stops on the same saddle in the same spot, ball ends even both touching metal. As far as feel goes, it can be ever so slightly different(due to the break angle)but no worse than a "traditional" bridge. I prefer top loaders simply because it makes restringing easier for me. No flipping guitars over or poking the string around to find the right hole like a strat.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I wonder why Leo didn't start out with a bridge like this -- he was so focused on simplicity and ease of manufacture.

Wally and LBUCKINGHAM like this.

12. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Because the Broadcaster was built around the lapsteel he and Doc Kauffman were making and bear in mind, initially to sell K&F amps. The string-through design is a legacy of that, much shorter, neck and body and used the same pickups as Broadcasters. Even the ashtray - same concept for shielding and handrest

FenderLP5.jpg FenderLP6.jpg

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Where all their lap steels string-through? I seem to remember top loaders.

14. twr1

twr1 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    sonoma county, California
    Campilongo uses a toploader.

15. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2017
    chicago
    Same knobs too!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.