V Necks - Which year's Teles?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Artslap, May 20, 2019.

1. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

OK boffins,

Which Fender years are famous for their "V" neck profiles?

I've got an '82 Smith Strat that has a V profile neck and I've decided that these fit my hand best.

I've got an original '72 Tele that has quite a thick "C" and while I love the guitar, I'd love it better with a V.

I've heard the Eric Johnson Strat, modeled after his '57, has a soft V.

Please let me know.

Any other info on V neck years, regardless of model, would also be appreciated.

CP.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I know that the MIJ '52 Telecaster reissues from the mid-90's have V-necks (soft V) that transition to full C up the neck. Here are some pics of the profile at the 1st fret and the profile at the 12th fret of my 1994 neck. I just got it a few weeks ago for a partscaster, and I love it.

Specs:
    6230 vintage small frets
    7.25” radius
    1.65” wide at nut
    2.20” wide at heel at 21st fret
    .90” deep at 1st fret
    .97” deep at 12th fret

IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1286.JPG

The fellow I bought it from sent me this pic, where you can see the V down near the headstock.

IMG_1004.jpg

jondanger likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

57 Tele and Strat. Donohue Teles have it - my Guitar teachers MIJ 90-something did. Some 57 reissue Strats. My Setzer Hotrod Gretsch (97, first year) has a pronounced boat-neck, it's supposedly moddelled off his 58 original.

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

More Vs on Strats than Teles IME. Baja has a big and beefy soft V. My favorite contour is a V .The Baja, while not perfect for ease of play (just too big for my small hands) , the Baja doesn t effect my carpel tunnel.
    I have 2 Strat V (Boat) necks from warmouth and they are perfect; just so you know where I m coming from. I also really like the limited run of normal and exotic wood WD necks on Stratosphere. They are a perfect 1/2 circle. Every so often the difference between that and a V is in the way a little , but generally not. Plus they re unfinished so you can V them as much as you want w sanding. I asked this same question a while back , and it does seem Strats necks have some good Vs, and Teles, at best only V ish contours.

5. 8livesleft

8livesleft TDPRI Member

I have a 2004 model Japanese 52 Tele with a V neck. I understand though that Fender japan had a lot of variants and options so I can't say if any single variant can be called standard.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

6. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, 90's MIJ/CIJ TL-52s. My AVRI 56 Strat had one too.

Nice necks on those TL-52s.

7. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

Have you checked out the Musikraft blackguard necks? Lots of V necks to pick from

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.