USPS VS UPS

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ce24, Mar 15, 2019 at 7:39 PM.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

4lb package from Idaho to wasilla Alaska.

UPS CHEAPEST....$90

USPS CHEAPEST.....$18

WTF!

2. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

The funny part is I’ve had items shipped UPS only to have the mailman bring it to my door in a neighborhood that has 3-4 UPS trucks delivering daily.

schmee, JayFreddy and ce24 like this.
  3. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Some vendors use UPS to do the heavy lifting distance-wise, then pass it off to the USPS for final destination.

4. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I never knew that.

5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Around here, the USPS is by far the better carrier.
    UPS and FED-EX are unreliable and prone to damaging your package.
    USPS isn’t great, but they beat the others by a mile.
    I know this is a regional thing so YMMV.

6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I am biased here being a city letter carrier for USPS, but I do think we are the better option these days for most things.

As it was mentioned, USPS is often the final leg shipping for both FedEx and UPS for the rural and small towns since it is far more cost effective....we are going there anyway. We move a ton of packages every day, but we are far more gentle than the sorting and moving done by UPS by a mile. We are not the best with over-sized and very heavy packages as we use more muscle than machines and that can result in human mistakes, but for everything else we get it done.

I have been trying to get the Brass to create special shipping protocols and rates for music equipment so they are not treated like a box of bricks, but so far they don't understand the need nor value of providing special shipping for instruments and amps.

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, USPS has a deal with FedEx to make the final delivery in small towns. Of course that delays the FedEx delivery you paid for by a couple of days.

Milspec likes this.
  8. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That is UPS smart post. Awful. It adds three days to shipping. USPS sklows it way down. Terrible.

Teleguy61 and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  9. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I freaking hate UPS, FedEx, & DHL. They are extremely overpriced for what they offer. USPS is affordable & has a great track record. That being said USPS has resorted to dimensional shipping the prices have jumped a lot.

What I hate is trying to order something and be told we are a foreign country and either won’t ship here are charging international Shipping for something that can be sent to ANY U.S address for domestic rates. I expect it to take 3-5 days for Prioity Mail to get here. Sometimes a day sooner or later. No big deal.

I had a package i needed for my company. 28”x28”x2”. Weight 3lbs. Shipping was $326.18. USPS would have been less than $40.00

Amazon Prime no longer ships here for free. Send it Priority, itll take a few days but I’ll buy more stuff.

JayFreddy and Milspec like this.
  10. Erebus

Erebus TDPRI Member

You all realize that FedEx handles all the USPS priority/express mail right? USPS doesn’t operate aircraft

11. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

Ups is funny. If you choose the ship now option and enter the details, weight, all that jazz, it’s $56 (guitar body as example), but if you choose the get a quote option, enter the same exact info, it’s like $14.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a long history in the transportation industry, I will state that I will never,never use UPS for anything ,I will not even buy from any one who uses UPS, My wife was the managaer for Purolator for over 30 years , at one point UPS used the Purolator delivery whare house to process their cargo
    1) UPS loose load the whole entire 53 foot trailer with out restraint or skid loading or deviders ...... results in monumental damages
    2) UPS informed my wife that their outrageous international brokerage fees are how they make their money plus they gouge the delivery rates.
    3) they may concede some of the charges if you complain

my personal history
    1) a steel rack mount computer chassis crushed and broken
    2) A mac tower and monitor although double packed in foam was dropped and broken ,UPS ended up giving me an 1100.00 refund for damages
    3) a battery for my drone , box crushed
    4) an Item from back east took 3 days to reach Kamloops and sat in the warehouse here for 6 days, reason it wasnt worth the delivery drivers time to deliver it
    5) 2 X 24" DELL computer monitors cost 200.00 brokerage fees 2 month later I get a phone call stating I never paid the fees and I would be recharged for them, I stated "I am on those monitors now ,do you not think some one would leave those behind and not collect the fees? "

Ive Managed for Air Canada, Gelco, Purolator, Fed EX (with Air Canada) , PWA Burlington Northern CPA ,and Canada Post for over 40 years collectively and all I can say is Brown is the right color for UPS

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 2:28 AM
  13. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Some years ago, I needed to ship a solidbody electric guitar to the Netherlands. UPS wanted almost $600 to ship it, USPS did it for about $180.

24 track likes this.
  14. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Not to mention that the insurance you get from the USPS is real insurance. The "declared value" at UPS is not.

15. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Airport to Airport, though.

Also, mail travels on regular passenger airliners.

AlbertaGriff and Milspec like this.
  16. denny

denny Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I prefer USPS. They do have online tracking now, and if the item will not fit the apartment large boxes, they hold it at the local PO, and put a notification card in the mailbox. My local PO is about six blocks away. Never lost a USPS delivery, either. The other delivery services do a half-hearted job, sometimes leaving the box at the front door without even knocking. Worse yet, they will sometimes leave it at a gas station or other "pickup point" several miles away. Sometimes they will leave it with the Apartment Manager, with not other indication than "Delivered" on online tracking.

BTW, USPS delivers locally for UPS and Amazon. One Sunday morning I was surprised to see no less than 4 USPS trucks on the road. At a stoplight, I asked one of the drivers what USPS was doing on Sunday morning. He replied that they were delivering for Amazon.

If given the choice, I would pick USPS for delivery, and it is usually the cheapest option.

I just wish they would stop filling my mailbox with useless marketing and political crap.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  17. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

My experiences with UPS have often been quite horrible. I now avoid using them like the plague. I have lots of horror stories about them, but will just relate a couple of the very worst of them.

From miss-delivered expensive packages, to a $40 upcharge for next day air, that took 5 days. Neither situation was fixed by them. All I got in both cases was basically an “oh well” from them.

I once had a neighbor that worked for them. During the holidays his garage was often full of packages, because he couldn’t deliver them all, but wasn’t allowed to return until the truck was empty, so as terrible as it can be as a customer, it seems their employees have it really bad.

GFrank likes this.
  18. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

Here in NYC, UPS is very dodgy and unreliable. More often than not, they will not deliver a package and report on their website that the driver attempted delivery and left a delivery notice when in fact they did not attempt delivery and no notice was left. And I often work from home to coincide with important deliveries and track the packages and their delivery dates. I have increasingly had lots of trouble getting things delivered by UPS in the last 4-5 years. Whenever possible, I now always have packages sent USPS.

19. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Meister

Well, double parking a UPS truck on a NYC street and then carrying the box for who knows how far, then dealing with intercoms or security or doormen, I guess it's not hard to understand the problem.
    And I have people in NYC and have spent time there. So, I've seen it first hand.
    What my friends/relatives do is pick the box up at a processing center. That way they don't have to sit around waiting for a box, then get frustrated and post about it online.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 11:45 AM
  20. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

I hate UPS.

GFrank likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.