Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

USMC inspired Tele build. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by reddy2300, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Okay. So, to me, a scarlet body demands gold hardware, as those are the colors of the USMC. JMO. I think black would be a little too underwhelming, plus it passes up a perfect (and classy) opportunity to use gold.

Binding is an outstanding idea, no matter which colors you go with.

2. abrianb

abrianb Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2014
    Indiana
    I agree that Scarlet should have Gold hardware. Maybe on the body you could stencil "playing the tough gigs since Tun's Tavern".

reddy2300 likes this.

3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    I'll add that I've never used black hardware on a guitar...nor have I owned one. But when I use black hardware on a pen that I make I have this grand vision of how sleek it will look, and in the end it's underwhelming. Almost cheap. Like it would look better if I'd just used chrome or gold.

My 2 cents at least

reddy2300 likes this.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Black hardware always makes me think of what Rickenbacker did to themselves in the late '80s when all the chrome hardware went away. Not good.

Only way I would use black hardware would be if you were going with a camo finish on the body.

reddy2300 and Matt G like this.

5. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Black hardware would work great on an olive drab background as long as it was a flat black. Gloss would betray the look in my view.

reddy2300 likes this.

6. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    All good points. Detail stuff like this is where I lack a little. I'll check out gold hardware.

The do have a couple of other ideas that I'm reserving until they're done.

Should I just add pics of progress to this thread or start a new one?

DrASATele likes this.

7. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Knobs out of 50bmg brass could be cool too.

I like the red and gold idea best.

reddy2300 and E5RSY like this.

8. Equus

Equus TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Indiana
    I think the key to pulling something like this off is simplicity. Yes the Marines do have the best looking uniforms, but I wore my blues twice while in service. The Marines pride themselves on their Spartan attitudes and existence.

If I were to build one, the body would be OD green with the club patch behind the bridge. I would see if I could find a talented air brush artist that could paint the correct camo pattern from the helmet he wore onto the underside of a clear pick guard. The control knobs would be the blackened buttons from the OD dress uniform and a cut down .30-06 or .45 ACP casing would be the switch knob, preferably from military brass. Gold plated metal would be the order of the metal parts. The neck plate would get an engraved EGA on it. I could see having his rank inlet into the fret board at the 12th.

The options are limitless. A dress version could look nice if you can find navy blue paint.

reddy2300 and Jay Jernigan like this.

9. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    A pic of R. Lee Ermey yelling... it's not really the Marines without a Gunny yelling at someone now is it??(I think he's a retired master sergeant though)

reddy2300 likes this.

10. Equus

Equus TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Indiana
    If the Gunny is yelling at you, you have a team leader, squad leader and a platoon sergeant that have failed at their jobs. LOL

11. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    10-uh-C
    This sounds like a guitar for a real Marine
    Not to imply that there are any other kind. JJ

12. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    If I had been a marine, I would have been such a failure at it that I'd expect someone high up to be yelling at me lol

reddy2300 likes this.

13. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    Word.

Newbcaster likes this.

14. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I never served (have been diabetic since 7), but I've got loads of family and friends who have, so the very first guitar I ever built was military-inspired. I actually call it the Mili-tele :D

The pics in the original thread have been lost through the photobucket debacle, and I don't seem to have many up-close pics available here at my office, but here's what i've got. I made the control plate, neck plate, and jack plate out of a .50 cal ammo can. And the knobs were made from .50 cal shells.

My best friend who comes from a long line of military men (he's currently a Lt. Col, his dad retired as Lt. Col, and his grandfather retired as full Col) gave me his grandfather's field artillery pin from WWII to place on the headstock. The strap I usually keep on this guitar is made from a WWII general purpose strap, and I've sewn on patches from friends and family.

[​IMG]

If you like the idea of an olive/red strap, let me know. ;)

[​IMG]

15. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    Former Staff Sergeant Mike Sutton USMC checking in.
    R. Lee Ermey retired as a Staff Sergeant. He is an honorary Gunnery Sergeant (made official by HQMC) due to the popularity of his shows.

A great place to look for ideas, and supplies for your guitar project is Sgt Grit.com. This is a website that sells all things Marine Corps. The have tons of decals, stickers, pins, etc.
    Lots of unit emblems. Check them out. It doesn't cost anything to look.

16. LPTyler

LPTyler TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Rock Springs, WY
    Former Marine here,
    I find a lot of commerative iems to be too much. I like the camo burst idea, as well as the 50 bmg brass for knobs. ( I have some brass if you need a few). You could put his ribbons in as fret markers depending on how many he has. Scarlet and gold is not my favorite color combo, but some marines really like it.

El Tele Lobo and reddy2300 like this.

17. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert

Duly and gleefully corrected!! :)

newb..

18. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Just so many options......could even go with a white and pattern it off the Dress Blues White Cover?

Just so many options....

reddy2300 likes this.

19. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    Here's the first coat of color. I put color on the front a couple of evenings ago. It was getting dark when it was done, so I didn't get pics.

Looks like with a bit of practice, I could do a 'burst. That would be cool, but not on this build. IMG_6494.JPG IMG_6495.JPG

El Tele Lobo and LPTyler like this.

20. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio

I think I'll take you up on the brass. I'd need two. Let me know where to send $$$ and how much to send.

I do have a couple of ideas that I'm keeping "under my hat" until reveal day. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.