Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

USMC inspired Tele build. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by reddy2300, Oct 5, 2017.

1. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    the first lines of halls of montezuma around the body could be an idea.

"semper fidelis" on the 12th fret

you could have the USMC arms engraved on the knobs, 5.11 shell as switch tip.

The bulldog above on the palette would be great

DrASATele likes this.

2. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    and this is something i would throw in

[​IMG]

3. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    Would it be cool to put Chesty on the back. Full size?

El Tele Lobo, PigBoy and brogh like this.

4. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yeah, folks mentioned Chesty, or the "Devil Dog" ("Teufel Hund"). It could be really fun to figure out how to get a bulldog on there somewhere.
    I love this old recruiting poster, where a bulldog is chasing a Dachshund.
    Teufel_Hunden_US_Marines_recruiting_poster.jpg

reddy2300 likes this.

5. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ

6. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I don’t see why not

reddy2300 likes this.

7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    12th fret inlay, of something significant?
    You have to start a thread with pictures of the build, once you get underway. This is a great concept.

Thanks to all for your service!

8. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    As a Marine myself here is a Les Paul I will only dream of. Semper Fi till the you Die. IMG_0039.JPG IMG_1677.JPG
    Tell him Welcome home

El Tele Lobo and reddy2300 like this.

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I agree with you about the dress blues. Best looking uniform there is, and I agree probably shouldn't mix the others in there. So I'm thinking brass (gold) hardware is required. The u-form colors, Eagle Globe & Anchor / Semper Fi prominent, then maybe a small Chesty on the pickguard or maybe headstock would say it all, IMO. And thanks to your Dad, and the other Devil Dogs here for their service.

10. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    I’d personally say less is more. Blue body with a blood racing stripe, EGA headstock, maybe his rank chevrons on the PG. Buttons as knobs, sure.

But let the guitar and its craftsmanship do most of the work. You don’t want it looking gaudy. Marines are quiet professionals; IMO their guitars should be, too.

Dignified.

11. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2013
    TINY ENGLAND
    Semper Fidelis on the headstock. Olive drab burst his regiment on neck plate. his rank at 12th , All gold hardware. and your flag airbrushed somewhere.

LPTyler likes this.

12. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    There are so many directions that you can take this project....and a great idea! My head is swimming with ideas right now and might have to build myself one now.

I think you need some more information rather than just generic elements. What was his MOS (Military Occupation Specialty), his Unit, his awards, rank, etc.

For me (Served '86 - 2003), key elements would be the following:

1. Color Cues (Dress Blues or Camou)
    2. His dates of Service, unit, final rank, and awards (the ribbon bars would look good on pickguard)
    3. The EGA MUST be on there somewhere (neck plate would be good)
    4. "USMC" script on the headstock
    5. Love the button ideas for tuner buttons
    6. USMC date of birth and motto
    7. Maybe use the NCO Sword somehow as well.

I'm sure that there would be other ideas after I think about it this weekend, but get that information about his service first. Some Marines are field Marines instead of the polished Dress Blues type so all of that matters. You can get a copy of all his awards online these days, so a little research will get you there.

Really a great idea and if you want to blow him away, customize a case for it as well with a plaque or something.

13. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    And don't forget a custom neck strap! That might be the key to making the colors really contrast...something to consider

14. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Could put his duty stations or battle areas as fret board inlays.....just so many things you could do with this project.

I do agree with the others that less is more. You don't want to over-do this and turn it into something that looks like the trash can at the PX. Be selective and choose according to impact. Please revisit this a lot as you go and we can sure help guide your selections.

reddy2300 likes this.

15. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    I definitely don't want it to look like "the trash can at the PX". (STILL laughing about that one!)

I also don't want it to look like I just pasted a bunch of stickers/stencils on every available surface.

The color is already chosen. I'm doing the body in scarlet and going to try to get a "vintage yellow" look on a maple neck. To keep the possibility of gaudiness down, I'm looking at black hardware, as it looks a bit more "formal". Got me thinking, though, one done like Dress Blues would be VERY cool. (Blue with red binding and a white headstock and gold hardware would look awesome.) I might have to build one for my 1/6th South America/Afghanistan veteran brother, too. (This is like a disease. Lol.)

I'm very excited about the build and all of the ideas here are added to a note on my phone. I will peruse those as time goes and let the build tell me what it wants.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

16. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Sounds like you are on the right track....just don't forget the strap to set off the contrast colors!

17. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    How about the case head of a piece of 5.56 brass for the switch tip? That would be cool.

Just be sure to use one with an inert primer. :eek:

reddy2300 likes this.

18. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Good idea.

Or, if that's too big: "10 NOV 1775".

reddy2300 and brogh like this.

19. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2011
    South Florida
    I built A Sports Team influenced guitar not long ago. I installed a Challenge Coin from the Team flush into the body. Fit so well I didn't even need glue. There are tons of military inspired C coins on the bay. Lets see pics when your done!

reddy2300 likes this.

20. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas

I really like that idea. This would be more involved, but what about service ribbons inlaid into the body somewhere? It would depend on the person and how many ribbons, and maybe a different shaped pickguard to accommodate the space, but near the top horn where the strap peg is. You could cut it just deep enough to make your own "ribbons" out of wood, plastic, or shell material or cut it a bit deeper, fix actual service ribbons (I assume that they're available for purchase so that a real Marine could have them for his display case as well as on uniform and in case a need arises to replace a broken or missing one) into the guitar and fill it in with clear acrylic, sand it flush with the the wood and gloss over it with normal clear coat. I've never thought of doing something like this so I'm not sure how it would work in practice, but that clear acrylic fill stuff is common for making your own pen blanks. That would be cool if it all worked out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.