Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

USMC inspired Tele build. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by reddy2300, Oct 5, 2017.

1. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    I've decided to build a Tele for my father who is a "Former Marine". (If you have one in the family, you know why that's in quotes. And capitalized. Lol.)

The body is nearly ready for the scarlet paint. I was thinking of different ideas for the pickguard. One is to use a record of the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" cut into a pickguard shape. Another is to use the side of a 7.62mm ammo can and cut it to shape. (He was in during the early 60's, when the still used the Garand/M14.) Any other ideas for that?

I plan to put an EG&A pin on the headstock. And uniform buttons on the tops of the control knobs. Maybe have a "USMC" or "Semper Fi" stenciled in gold on the upper part of the body.

I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing. What else would you do? (While keeping it from being "over the top"?)

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    You could paint it blue like the dress trousers and put on a red blood stripe at an angle, like Fender used to do racing stripes.

3. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    I was actually considering doing that with the blood stripe around the perimeter. I'm not sure I could get the "correct" blue for the best looking military uniform ever created.

4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Might be easier to get a pickguard and either paint it or have it silkscreened olive drab and stenciled with the yellow lettering rather than try to wrestle an old ammo can into submission. Those things are pretty stout if I remember right. Also it would be a shame to kill a really useful ammo can for a pickguard that will never be exactly perfect and may induce noise. I like the idea though. Also, olive drab probably wouldn't look that great against Scarlet.

You might also consider "dress blues" for the pickguard and just stencil in all the historic USMC battles in a list style using gold paint. I think the dress blues coat is Midnight Blue. You could add a blood stripe to that wherever you think it looks cool.

reddy2300 likes this.

5. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Like this:

[​IMG]

reddy2300 likes this.

6. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Bulldog Fretboard Inlays?

DrASATele, Telecentric and reddy2300 like this.

7. Penguinchit

Penguinchit TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Minneapolis
    DrASATele and bparnell57 like this.

8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    If you know his battalion (e.g. 2/4, etc.) you could use its insignia somehow.

Matt G, reddy2300 and Barncaster like this.

9. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    You might also be able to incorporate some complementary uniform colours, cloth or braid into a suitable guitar strap. Perhaps that would let you run with the theme, while avoiding the OOT problem on the guitar itself.

reddy2300 likes this.

10. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Franklin, TN
    [​IMG]
    Make a water slide decal for he headstock, and maybe inlay or colorize.

11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    This is one only a Marine can answer... all others should sit back and respect the insight into such a project such dedicated service can inspire.

and Thanks to all who have served.

Ron Kirn

12. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    There will be copious use of the EG&A, don't you worry. ;):D

13. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    Hmmm. Now there's something I never thought about. The strap.

These ideas are giving me more ideas!

14. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    USMC, Infantry. 1990-1994. No thanks necessary. It was my privilege to serve. :)

DrASATele, tele12 and Steve Holt like this.

15. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    I've found this as a vinyl decal. The detail is really good. I'd like to put it on the top, to the left but a 10" or 12" decal will require part of the "globe" to be covered by the bridge. Would that be ok to do? The gold will offset with the red paint pretty nicely. The seller can "possibly" produce a paintable stencil, as well. (He couldn't verify that it would work with acrylic lacquer clear coat over his vinyl.)

Then, that begs the question....gold hardware or black? I'm thinking that matte black would look very sharp.

Attached Files:

DrASATele likes this.

16. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I think before you really fully get going you need to decide on what uniform you want to base it (assuming that's your intent). I think doing all three would be tough and likely look like a mess.

So, will it be 1) dress blues 2) service greens, or 3) camouflage utilities?

I imagine the decision would largely be dictated by your Dad's USMC experience. Was he in the field a lot? Or, was he more of the spit-and-polish type? Somewhere in-between?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Matt G likes this.

17. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    I wouldn't cover the globe (USMC 1982-1986, swing with the Wing).

reddy2300 likes this.

18. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    In that case, I will not cover/obstruct the globe. :)

Thank you folks for your service. I have nothing but respect for anyone who served in our military in any capacity.

Thank you veterans (and non veterans, too) for your input on my build.

19. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    "The Marine Corps Oath" on the pickguard. Made to fit inside the bounds of the pg but still be legible. How can I do that?

DrASATele likes this.

20. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    62F0CED4-CF52-403E-B575-F3DC8AB9EDCF.jpeg You have to work Chesty in there somewhere.

R. Stratenstein and reddy2300 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.