Using Ac30 normal channel?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jc4yr, May 22, 2018.

1. jc4yr

jc4yr TDPRI Member

Anyone use the ac30 normal channel?

How do you like it/ use it?

I have a limited edition hw ac30 with only the normal channel. What’s the best way to get some treble in on it?

The treble boosters I’ve used loose too much low end

2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a late 60s AC30 and I blend it with the top boost channel via a patch cable.

jc4yr likes this.
  3. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

I would typically use the normal channel any time I wanted more of a clean slate for pedals. It worked very well for that. Not really sure how to get more treble out of it though - I specifically used it because it tended to be warmer.

jc4yr likes this.
  4. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

What model do you have ? I'm intrigued. Does it have the Tone stack ?

Lyle Caldwell (search him) has several mods for the different models of AC30, usually changing the resistors or 'bright caps' on the inputs or tone stack can help tailor the sound.
    Here's an interesting quote from him:

The AC30 has never been a “clean jangly” amp. In their natural state they are a wonderful amp when clean but they have low clean headroom and the real magic is when they are at the edge of clean and overdrive, where they break up and clean up responding to playing dynamics. Don’t think Beatles/Byrds – think REM, U2, Yardbirds, Zeppelin. Not too dissimilar from the cleans coming from a Plexi, if the Plexi was being run into an open-backed 2×12.

bftfender and jc4yr like this.
  5. jc4yr

jc4yr TDPRI Member

Ac30bm. One knob hand wired. One Input on the back. It sounds so good with the blues but just looking for some more top end.

One of my friends said to try a jhs colour box to eq it better

Attached Files:

6. jc4yr

jc4yr TDPRI Member

Interesting. Did you feel like you cut through ok?

7. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

Find a Rangemaster...BM uses them. It's basically a simple Gm based treble booster. I'd just google it. I use a clone built by Don Butler (Toneman) into the normal channel on my TBX that I've had for decades...there were few options then, there's a bunch of good ones now. But I understand it's pretty much required equipment with that amp.

jc4yr likes this.
  8. jc4yr

jc4yr TDPRI Member

It has a built in Brian may rangemaster. It has no low end. Looking for something to keep the tone of the normal channel but boost some high

9. jc4yr

jc4yr TDPRI Member

Don’t fail me now tdpri

10. IJammer

IJammer TDPRI Member

Yup, I have an early 60's AC30 with a retrograde T&B circuit added... I use the normal channel mainly for clean jazz or blues. The patch link is usefull if you want to mix the channels.

I have had a few AC30's over years; back in the seventies you could pick them up cheap. We used to run the whole band through these things back in the day... lead, rythem and vocals; what a workhorse! I would buy one for £30 and sell it later for £45... a quick profit :) Now these things are fetching a kings ransom! Wish I still had the ones I sold... I could get a new car for the price they are now. The current one I have (early 60's), I swapped off a guy who was using it in his workshop as a saw bench; had no vynal covering but everything else was intact including the orginal blues (all working!) I never liked the ucky brown grill cloth hex so used the later black hex. Swapped this one for a £50 sattelite receiver I had. Think I got the best of the deal LOL This ones a keeper though!

jc4yr likes this.
  11. Norris Vulcan

Thanks for posting pics, jc4yr. Very nice amp !
    One big advantage of the hand-wired AC's is it's easy to mod them, and minor mods like caps, etc are reversable.
    Does it get brighter the louder it is ? In which case you could use an attenuator to manage the volume.... I've never played the BM Model (I have the AC30 HWH). The blue speakers should be a bit brighter than greenbacks.
    Maybe an EQ pedal in front of the input ?

jc4yr likes this.
  12. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

I too have an AC30 HWH, and the normal channel on that has a "bright" setting, which is plenty trebly. You get the tone cut control to tame the treble excess. I use that channel all the time. I like the simple "one volume, one tone" approach.

jc4yr likes this.
  13. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Isn’t the point of the BM model that Dr May (or his representative on Earth) has already decided how it’s going to sound and all you’re left with is how loud to play??
    Either put an EQ in front of it or trade it in for a normal AC30, would be my advice!

jc4yr and ellisvertellis like this.
  14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

EQ pedals are underrated.
    An overdrive with bass, middle + treble controls, set to unity gain and the treble up.
    Turn it up?, Fletcher + Munson are a pair of gits sometimes.
    Wah set fully forward.

deadbeat son likes this.
  15. Norris Vulcan

16. jc4yr

jc4yr TDPRI Member

Many thanks! The board is super small and clean. Ya know that’s a really good point. I should try it louder and see how it changes.

If not then eq. I have a really educated tech that could mod it.

Attached Files:

17. jc4yr

jc4yr TDPRI Member

Yeah! I’m still getting to know it. We can trade ;)

18. jc4yr

jc4yr TDPRI Member

I think that’s true assuming you’re using the built in treble booster

19. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Haha, I meant MY "one volume, one tone" layout. Yours has only a volume control. And that's ok, but there's not a lot of tone shaping options on board there.. Usually I'd say: brighter speakers, but those Blues should be plenty bright already. I'd try an EQ pedal next. Find a setting where you get more trebles present, but no extra volume when you switch the EQ pedal on. You don't want to introduce hiss in you sound, which can come with added treble. So reduce some mids, add a hair of highs and leave the bass alone. That would be my approach...

jc4yr likes this.
  20. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Yeah, definitely. Never an issue with that with the AC30. Play mostly 90s type rock. I found two pedals that worked particularly well for me as boosts/overdrives: the Duncan 805 (has a pretty wide range 3 band EQ) and a Mad Professor Sweet Honey. For higher gain stuff, either a Mad Professor 1, or a Digitech Hardwire Valve Distortion.

Mincer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.