Using a Carvewright to engrave a guitar top?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by warmachine, Apr 18, 2019.

1. warmachine

warmachine TDPRI Member

I use Illustrator and of course have the Photoshop skills down to create some interesting ideas that I think will lend to carving animal motifs onto a guitar top. Depth of engraving 1/2” to 3/4”.

I know someone who has a Carvewright Cx that is wide enough to feed a guitar body through. My thoughts were to buy a pre made unfinished Telecaster body and get designing. Anyone have experience using a Carvewright in this manner??

Again I’m not interested in creating an entire body using a cnc desktop, just engraving a design onto an existing body.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I haven't heard of a Carvewright mentioned in years. Sears used to sell them IIRC. The early ones were so problematic, that I thought they went out of business. I guess if it works and fits, then I'd try it. A lot of people have gone the Xcarve/Shapeoko3 route the past few years which is similarly priced.

3. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

1/2-3/4” seems extremely deep. I do some engraving on my CNC and 1/8” is about as deep as I ever go.

4. warmachine

warmachine TDPRI Member

Yes. I’d say most of the designs would be less than those depths. If I did a design featuring aquatic wildlife, like a fish breaking the surface, an additional 3D affect would be good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.