Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Use overdrive pedal or clean boost instead of gain knob?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Jagger44, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Jagger44

Jagger44 TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Flint, Mi
    Hello all, just a quick one here, I have a Bugera v5 I just purchased. Love the clean on it, great nice low volume clean amp. The gain sucks on mine, anything over 3 has horrrrrrible hiss feedback. My question is..... instead of using the gain knob to get a little dirt, little overdrive, can I just buy a simple pedal and if I need extra gain or a volume boost, instead of going to the amp, just click on the pedal?? Something cheap/easy, like a TC Spark Clean Boost, or maybe a blues driver type pedal, simple overdrive blues pedal...?? Instead of cranking the gain on the pedal, just give it enough to make a little extra dirt/crunch, or clean boost to give a little extra volume/dirt...in a nutshell, some pedal I can keep on and build my distortion/overdrive tone using that, instead of gain on amp??? I'm sure some rhythm blues guys leave an overdrive pedal on maybe the entire song....

2. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    This is what I love the Lovepedal Blackface Deluxe for. Sometimes I have it set a little hairy, sometimes perfectly clean, and now and then I turn it off but for the most part it's on. It was very affordable, too; either used or at the sporadic Saturday night sales that take place at https://lovepedalcustomeffects.myshopify.com. (every few weekends they pop up, may be one next weekend)

It's geared towards a Fender-y sound, as the name implies, so perhaps someone here can weigh in with a differently-voiced option if you prefer something else.

3. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    What you suggest is definitely a way you can go. My experience has been that using a clean boost to get grit works best on amps with lower headroom and a natural overdrive character that you like. That doesn't mean you have to like the "gain" or "lead" channel...just that you like what the amp does on the clean channel when you hit it hard. The boost is just going to give you more of what your guitar already has and that can be glorious when it drives the front of your amp in a pleasing way. Some amps have so much headroom, however, that a clean boost can sometimes just make everything get louder with very little change in grit/crunch.

I don't have experience with that amp and you don't mention what guitar you are using. Even with the simple TS808 I would often start out trying to get what I wanted with just the level knob and then add drive to taste...Blues Driver would work, too. Another good option might be to get a combined boost/drive pedal. That way if the boost doesn't get you where you want to be you can dial in the dirt on the pedal.

I use a KTR as my boost and get the overdrive character from the different channels on my Boogie.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  4. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Any Klon clone in my opinion.

5. Jagger44

Jagger44 TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Flint, Mi
    Well here's my issue with this amp. Fyi paying my 2001 mim strat....im a bluesy player, mostly clean, but like a little dirt for those tx blues tones....but my V5 just rattles n kinda sounds like it might fall apart when gain is around 5or more, n kinda makes a "sizzling noise" (as if I had string buzz, which became amplified, but I don't have string buzz). I love love the low volume clean sound, very beautiful...I have my own home by myself so I want to crank it up though!!! I bought it at guitar center used, for 119$....ALL OTHERS IVE SEEN USED GO FOR 139 AT GC.... obviously this needs SOMETHING. CANT RETURN :(. willing to make changes, have it looked at....it may just need a "tune up" and my guitar hasn't been played in a while it may need a tune up. HOWEVER, ANYONE ELSE HAD ISSUES LIKE THIS?? ALSO MAKES A "WEEE WEEE WEEE" SOUND ON POSITION 1,3,5...

6. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    i have a little ac4 and i like to set it where i can get both a clean and a dirty sound by using my guitars volume.
    and i use an od pedal for more gainy stuff.

7. Jagger44

Jagger44 TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Flint, Mi

Thank you very much sir for your input regarding the use of a overdrive pedal when my gain on my amp (Bugera v5) sounds pretty ****ty. So I can dial my "tone" so sounds perfect on clean, THEN, if I need to give it a kick in the ass, maybe for a solo, maybe to have on all the time. Just throw a blues driver, maybe ts9, or stack the boost/drive pedal, by this I assume u mean like a EP clean boost with an ocd, or a boost with ts9 or bb driver.....thank u very much.

8. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    Having some noise, especially with lots of gain, on a Strat in positions 1, 3 and 5 is pretty normal. I wouldn’t suspect anything is out of order so long as it is quite quiet in positions 2 and 4 where the pickups are out of phase. To reduce the noise, you can experiment with your position and direction you’re facing in the room. Make sure there are no unusual sources of electromagnetic interference such as CFLs, etc. Good luck!

9. Jagger44

Jagger44 TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Flint, Mi

See it's very odd, of course I understand as cranking the gain makes louder noise, BUT.....in 1,3,5 positions it makes this like this constant non stop fast "weezz weeeeeezzzz, wezzzz, weeezzzz" noise like a constant high pitch "tswee tsweeee weeeee eee" noise. But if I mute the strings it stops, it's just the strangest high pitch up n down tssssss type noise......I've plugged it into every outlet in my house, garage, outside, moved around pointed everywhich way still has it. The last crazy noise is the fact when I do crank it up a little and listen to the back of the amp, can hear the speaker making some sorta vibrating noises.....not coming from the cabinet but from the speaker, and that noise from the speaker vibrates like crazy when I increase gain. I tightened EVERY BOLT N SCREW, even took the cage off that is around the tubes.....but that vibrating speaker is very odd. I haven't looked at it yet, does that constant vibrating loud noise coming directly from the speaker sound like possibly blown speaker or just a bad speaker......I bought it used from guitar center, n it was cheaper than other used ones, but is newer and in better physical condition, the speaker possibly cracked??? To look at it do I just unscrew the speaker from cabinet and pull it out the back? Also I think the amp is a bit dark.....I play a strat, speakers r cheap 30 bucks I think....would any specific new speaker "brighten" the amp up? Or is that tubes n pickups??

10. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    Some questions to try and get you pointed in the right direction. Don't want to be spending any money if we don't have to. :)

1. Does this noise occur when the amp is turned up with nothing plugged into it?
    2. Does this noise occur with the master volume down and the gain up? And/or, with the gain down and the volume up?
    3. Do you still have noise with everything plugged in, switch in position 3, and your fingers touching only the metal bridge or is that quiet?
    4. Does the noise change at all if you stand wearing your guitar on a strap and face different directions in the room?
    5. Does the speaker hum/vibrate perceptibly even with the volume and gain quite low?
    6. Does the speaker "squeal" or "cry" when you're playing certain notes at reasonable volume?

There are many possible culprits...could be a noisy/bad tube in V1 (but, can't tell for sure since you indicate it only happens with the guitar in positions 1, 3, 5?). You might try tapping V1 with a pencil while the amp is on and see if you get any more craziness (could be microphonic).

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  11. Jagger44

Jagger44 TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Flint, Mi
    Hello all, I wanted to update my Idiocracy!!!! I've been playing my strat n bugera v5 in my living room in my home....vaulted 15 foot ceilings, long living room connected to long dinning room...so, the acoustics in the room are HORRRRIBLE!!!!!! DIDNT EVER CROSS MY MIND....I was like why does this sound horrible?? I have an empty bedroom upstairs, normal size bedroom we used kinda as storage....I cleaned it out, set my amp up off the floor on a 3' tall solid table, plugged in, closed the door....omfg!!!!! I'm so stupid!!! It wasn't the amp that sounded awful! It was the acoustics in the room!! Now I can hear beautiful notes, clean, everything 1000% better!!! Only thing is I'd like to drop some 60's-70's, maybe fender 62 or 59's single coil pickups in my mim strat..something more "classic rock" but can really make some sick blues tones. I see no reason to spend 2-300$ on pups....120-180$ should be plenty....think Keith Richards, mark knofler, Clapton, I like Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Mike Campbell, John Mayer is nice. ...just a classic rock strat pup, that also plays great blues rock....I'm not buying lollars, fralins, just a nice set of fender pups.

12. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I have the same amp, coming from a ginormous solid state twin (2 x 65, 12" speakers- not great low volume low watt amp). I missed having a 2 channel amp, and bought a T C Spark, set the amp gain about haldway (nice clean tone), turned knob on Spark to about 1-2 o'clock.

I also adjust the volume on the output of the guitar for when I don't want so much crunch.

13. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Glad the amp I see pleasing you in the different room.

As for the noise in positions 1, 3 and 5: Strats have single coil pickups usually. Some have a humbucker at the bridge ', but most a all single coil. Single coil pickups are noisy. To determine if the noise you are hearing is really due to the single coil pickups, turn your guitar slowly so that it is facing different directions in the room. If the noise level and character changes, then it is due to the single coil pickups. That noise is related to the electromagnetic field, and turning the direction of the guitar changes that field. There are noiseless pickups, but often they don’t sound as good. Strat and Tele players deal with this all of the time, and eventually get used to it. Turn your volume control down in between playing.

14. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ

Dimmer switches on the living room recessed lighting maybe?
    Glad it’s working out. My tip for Strats is always TS9 with the gain way down and the output up. At least as something to really try out, especially given your sonic preferences.

CigBurn likes this.
  15. CigBurn

CigBurn TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Same Shed Different Forum
    Some of the energy saving fluorescent bulbs as well. For a while I had one in a fixture that was above my amp (HRD) Pedal board setup. Every night when I'd practice there was this annoying high pitch that became worse with any added dirt. Check it during the day and nothing.. really had me going there for a bit until I realized I didn't use that light during the day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.