Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

usa tele or american special

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AJ Ray, Dec 29, 2012.

1. AJ Ray

AJ Ray TDPRI Member

Should i buy a used usa telecaster for around 700 pound mark or the american special new for slightly less? At this point i do not know much about the condition of the used ones i have spotted other than they are in good condition

2. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Welcome to the forum!

People love both of them. If there is any way you can play them both it would help. The special has jumbo frets which are great for some and not so great for others. The usa Tele is probably a safer bet if you can't play them but I would guess you will be happy with either.

3. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Do you like 3 or 6 saddles? Also what kind of USA Telecaster is it? American Standard,American Vintage, Highway 1? Cause there are a few :)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

I have an 2010 American special and I love it -no issues with it

6. ftgjr

ftgjr Tele-Meister

I just came from a guitar store and played both of them. It was a toss up, between the two. To be honest, I can't feel or hear much of a difference from those to my Squier Standard Telecaster. I might just stick with my Squier, for now.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied

AJ, let the size of the frets, and the sound of the bridge pickup be first and second in the decisionmaking process. Some guys like medium frets, some like giant frets - figure out which of those 2 you are and act accordingly. If you find you like the medium frets on the Standard, next spend a LOT of time on the bridge pickup. The neck will sound great, but I just can't get to loving the bridge pickup on the AM. Standard. Which is IMO half because of the bleah bridge pup and half because that kind of bridge is just not that good, in my view.

8. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Holic

It's a buyers market just now. My advice would be buy used... You can get a US Tele well under £700 (more like 6 or maybe even a bit less) in Scotland.

When the January bills pile up you might even see cheaper than that! Check Gumtree- and haggle!

Use this site to research the bewildering choice of models and options available- and if possible check out actual guitars to see what suits you personally.

Good luck

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.