Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

USA Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by grolan1, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Alaman

Alaman Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    Sweet Home, Alabama
    Ahhh....sorry. That one flew right over my head. :oops:

2. Update on the body from the seller... 'The body is MIA nitro finished relic body' - not that it totally matters...

3. Alaman

Alaman Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    Sweet Home, Alabama
    Makes it more attractive in my eyes. If MIA then have to think this is AVRI body that has been relic'd after market or may be a custom shop body. I'm no expert but I don't know of relic MIA nitro bodies done by Fender that aren't custom shop. Doesn't sound like a bad guitar.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 16, 2005
    Texas Gulf Coast

It's a very nice mutt and you should buy it, if you like it.

Just know it's going to be very hard to get rid of the mutt without a loss.

6. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World

Quite frankly, it's hard to get rid of ANYTHING these days without a loss. Seems there are fewer up and coming guitar players in the market, from the looks of how many offerings on Ebay and Reverb go unsold. Supply exceeds demand. Fewer "guitar hero's" to emulate...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

7. Texsunburst59

Nov 16, 2005
    Texas Gulf Coast

It's all how you buy guitars.

I NEVER buy new, and about 90% of the time, I will buy guitars from pawnshops.

It's my main hobby. I spend time hunting down crazy deals at pawnshops in a 75 mile radius from where I live.

When I buy, it's usually 50% or more off the used market price of a guitar.

Lately I almost only buy American made guitars.

I had A LOT of money tied up in low-med quality guitars which I sold of about 1 1/2 yrs. ago.

When I do have to move ANY of my guitars, I always make a profit and never lose money.

I passed on some really good guitars over the years because the price wasn't right.

I resale is always figured into any guitar I buy.

If I have to move some in a day or 2, I have a few mom and pop guitar shops and several musicians that will take them off my hand for a nice price.

I get more money than GC would offer and they get a guitar at a price they'd never be able to otherwise. I make money and they get a great deal.

It's a win, win.

8. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Partscasters aren't worth much to me nor all the tall tales re how top rate after market parts were painstakingly acquired and put together by a master builder etc etc. If you cant turn around and sell for at least what you bought it for (or value of the trade in this case) then I think you have to think about it strongly. There are a lot of authentic USA strats that can be bought for bargain prices that can be bought below market value and that will hold or increase in value over time.

9. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    Well, good for YOU, but it's not like that for most people and most likely not for the OP whose future purchase of this parts guitar we are discussing. This had nothing to do with your bartering skills.

10. Texsunburst59

Nov 16, 2005
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I'm just pointing out that nobody has to take a bath on any guitar if they buy right.

I buy smart and I never take a bath on anything I sell. It's just a fact.

Anyone can do the same if you buy smart. That simple.

That includes you. If YOU choose to buy new then you'll most likely take a bath on it when you sell it.

Nobody forces anybody to buy a new guitar. Everyone has options.

You can buy new or used.

YOU made the comment that it's hard these days to sell anything without a loss. Did you not? Your words.

I made my comment based on that sentence. How is it not part of the discussion.

You come across sounding really bitter in your post. You must lose a lot of money on your gear.

Don't take it out on me.

11. Jumping in again as I am still on the fence on the trade... I do not really need another Strat, honestly I don't need another guitar period but it's not a sin to have a few right? I would be a player guitar no doubt, but all of mine are players. I was going ahead with the trade but found out the back of the neck has been sanded by his luther for a more relic fit to the body... Not sure why that bothers me so much as I would love to have a road worn Strat or Tele.

Now to the buying/selling comments on this thread. I agree I try to buy things at or maybe below what I feel I could sell them later... no one likes losing money and I've made a few good deals in my days. Although I'll admit something from my point of view.. buying and selling musicial items if you're not careful takes away the point of it all, or can take away I should say.... to make music. I found myself looking more than playing... but I still do it to a degree.

12. Well, checked on Reverb for other amps like mine for sell, many have been there for months at the same price. Mine is not original (oak cab) but I think it makes it better as it's a bit larger with a 12" not a 10". But since the others don't seem to be selling I'm trying to move forward with the trade. I put a couple of my other guitars on the market....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.