Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

US Open : Phil = Happy Gilmore USGA = 2004/2018 Same Screwup PGA Golfers = Wahhh ! Boo Hoo !

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Long and short of it :

Last time the US Open was at Shinnecock was 2004 and it was an infamous debacle as far as golf course conditions and hole placement. Like the most difficult municipal course in the world - holes a foot or two away from huge slopes, greens almost shiny they were so dry/hard.

2018 - Exact same thing happens again the very first time since 2004 the Open is played there.

So that's the USGA's screw up. Course condition ok for the first half of the day since it was just watered, abysmal for the latter half cuz of blazing sun and winds. And again - hole locations on the edge of cliffs.

The golfer's w/ early tee times - not so many complaints.

The golfers w/ later tee times (the leaders) - nothing but complaints and grousing about everything.

Phil ?

Snaps on the 13th and slapshots his ball toward the hole after it ran by headed for the loooooooong slope. While the ball was still moving.

2 shot penalty but it was Phil's middle finger to the USGA for their "debacle".

Plus - the US Open is the only major Phil hasn't won. If he won it he becomes one of the only golfers to win all the majors (Grand Slam).

Some even say Phil was taking a mulligan looking toward next year's open - at Pebble Beach, where he has won numerous times/tournaments.

I don't know that I care about any of it, but any time there's this much preciousness and 1st world whining all wrapped up in one event ? Well, I don't know just who to laugh at/root against...

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    im still trying to decipher the thread title!

41144 and brookdalebill like this.
  3. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    Charlottesville, va
    It was ugly. And the point is not the players whining - there was actually remarkably little of that. The point is that when the course gets to that point, it opens the competition up to an inordinate amount of dumb luck.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    They interviewed golfers (some who were leaders) at the end of the day. Plenty of grousing.

So here’s a wild idea that makes more sense than what happened yesterday.

Start everybody as Early as you can and at the midpoint of the day stop play for two hours - or less.

Re-water the hell out of the golf course . Resume play.

Seems crazy ?

Less crazy than what happened yesterday...

twotone60 likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Your criticism is valid, but I would add that the average golfer would probably not be able to finish a round on Shinnecock Hills if they started at daylight and played until it was too dark to see. The course is penal, and set up now at over 7400 yards. If you don't play golf, there is simply no way you could comprehend how difficult that course played yesterday. The intention is to humiliate the golfers, they say they are trying to separate the wheat from the chaff, but what they really hope is that it's all chaff. Shinnecock prides itself on being the oldest most exclusive golf club in the country, and they love rubbing dirt in the trashy PGA pros faces. If ONE member had to play that course under US OPEN conditions, they would probably burn the clubhouse down.

I have played a tricked up golf course, one where if you miss a three foot putt you have a thirty or forty footer coming back. A little of that is challenging, a lot of it isn't funny. If they played the Super Bowl with a twenty pound ball, played hockey with six inch sticks and a twelve pound puck, it might be similar. Luck plays a role in golf whether the rules committee will admit it or not, and often the winner of the US Open is not the best golfer, but the one with the most good fortune, and even a little help from the crowd. It's happened more than once. Arnold Palmer could hit a ball in the trees, and it would magically appear in the middle of the fairway. If Phil Mickelson would have been anyone but who he is, they would have sent him packing yesterday. He should not receive one nickel above the last place money no matter where he finishes.

I once played a golf course when I was in my prime that had a hole setup to NOT receive a shot period. It was the longest par four on the course, and even the heavy hitters had to hit long irons into the greens. If you hit in front, it came back off the green, if you hit one foot past that, it went off the back of the green. It didn't take a good, or even spectacular shot to hold the green, it took a miracle. It played right along side a par five, that was SHORTER than the four. It was essential a very difficult par five that a bogey was a good score on. That's not golf, because there is supposed to be an answer to the question.

twotone60 and Stubee like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    The members at Shinnecock this morning are all sitting around belching the aroma of ham and eggs into the air of the clubhouse. Gleefully hoisting their drinks in the air and saluting themselves for trampling on the "little people." It's no more than they deserve.

Mike Eskimo and robt57 like this.
  7. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I love the way they set up Shinnecock, though I’ll grant that a couple greens we’re almost unfair for mere mortals. I was surprised to see Phil do that, regardless of conditions. Very unsporting, really.

There are a few complaints at most US Opens. I guess if pros want to complain about punishing conditions they could just opt outta the US Open and stick to the courses where -20 wins it. Yawn...

With the state of pro golf today I’ve got nothing against a course set up where even par, or worse, is a winning score. All they gotta do is stay outta the rough, make perfect approach shots and perfect putts.

I’ll toast my old man with a couple martinis and watch the final round today just like always.

bodevelho likes this.
  8. Tempus_Fugit

Tempus_Fugit TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2018
    SW Michigan
    It would not be a proper US Open without the players complaining about slick greens and deep rough. Kudos to whoever is setting this course up. It's a true test.

Phil: He does have an occasional lapse of reason, doesn't he? Looked like a 9 year old at the mini golf. DQ him, he knows better.

frankg11 likes this.
  9. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    It is supposed to be difficult, it’s the US open. It’s not supposed to be the average everyday course where you can hit the ball into the next fairway and still plop it onto the green anyway.

Let them be frustrated just like me :)

RodeoTex and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I thought he was going to lay on the green and kick and cry like a Walmart spoiled brat on the floor. At least the kid in Walmart won't roll down slope.

bodevelho and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Looks like golfers are subject to playing with deflated balls too...

Toto'sDad and Nickadermis like this.
  12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Glad you're explaing it better than any writer has been able to. I've not been able to see what the big deal was until now. I understand not hitting a moving ball but wasn't grasping the brumched panties.

Obviously not a golfer.

I'd liken this to the Tour a couple years ago when Chris Froome started running up a climb without his (damaged) bike. He should have been DQ'd but where's the drama throwing out a potential race winner (which he did).

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    DQ, the reining cycling Pope? Never. Besides, compared to Lance his low infraction accumulation warrant even more silver glove treatment for the poster boy dejour. Just google his abuse of Asthma MEDs, and how most others would have been under suspension long ago for similar infraction.

14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Oh, I'm very aware. Ulissi & Petacchi weren't afforded the same luxuries as Froome but they weren't wealthy enough to argue it in a court of law.

That whole Sky house of cards will fall just as Festina, USPS, Puerto, etc etc etc has.

I digress...

15. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, he dropped off my list of esteemed golfers for that one. I don't care how bad the course was set up, they all were playing the same course. Let the ball roll, and putt out. The rule was not intended to be abused the way he did, and IMO he should've been DQ'ed on the spot.

Stubee and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Burrrrrinnnnnggggg!

Hello, you have reached the headquarters of the USGA. If you are calling about a recent breach of the rules of golf during the US Open golf tournament concerning Phil Miclelson all our lines are presently busy. You may remain on the line until a representative answers. At the present time we cannot accurately predict your waiting time should you reman on the line. You may hit the number seven (7), when you are prompted to, you may leave your name and number and we will return your call in the order it was received.

Thank you, and have a good day.

17. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wish I knew how to edit and reverse that video clip of mini-golf Phil so he'd be putting then running to hit the ball back and forth about 10 times :D

One writer compared his putting trick to a drunken frat boy on his way to shooting 135, pretty apt.

But it seems that many other real golfers out there had no problem handling the hole placements and dry greens, and congrats to Brooks Koepka for winning back-to-back US Opens, a very rare feat!

Just tweeted by the PGA:

US Open Sunset.jpg

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    The USGA cuts the greens too damn short for the US Open. Saturday was a joke and Phil lost his mind.

twotone60 and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    Phil wasn’t doing well and got frustrated and did something stupid. It shows he is human. He took the penalty and moved on. I think everyone else should do the same. If you want to act high and mighty go for it. I like Phil and will keep rooting for him. Did I say I was left handed? Oh, never mind.

Chip and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    The head groundskeeper turned to his assistant and high fived him when Phil went off the track, and gleefully shouted, WE'VE SUCCEEDED AT LAST!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.