Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

UPS destroyed the Grand Prize Hahn Guitar -- claim denied!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TDPRI, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff H

Jeff H Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2003
    State of Jefferson
    I would like to see the photos of the damaged guitar.
    Comments are being posted without visual evidence.
    I think it is appropriate to show the photos.
    I can't think of a reason that it would jeopardize the claim.

$300,000 in lost revenue to UPS is daily lunch for their executives. A boycott is of limited value. They care more about the bad press spilling over than they do about guitarists, or guitars they really don't want to ship.

2. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    I strictly use Fedex for my stuff. I have also had bad times with UPS. FedEx did lose one package I sent once, I had to refund my EBay buyer BUT Fedex did launch and investigation and eventually found the package and promptly send it back to me. It was during the Christmas rush, so I can understand something can happen once in awhile.
    Unfortunately, it is pretty much a fact that whatever company you choose, the extra you pay for insurance is wasted money. I now self insure everything.
    If I was sending something of super value I'd look into some kind of private insurance.

3. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2005
    motor city
    a celebrity voice would be cool

This is a quick 30 second TMZ interview.

Interviewer: Great show tonite!
    Keef: right, the boys sure kicked it around tonite.
    Inteviewer: I can't help notice that your favorite guitar was absent for this show.
    Keef: yeah! I left it at my last gig. Had to have it shipped. Buggers banged it up broke the thing apart.
    Interviewer: I hope it was insured.
    Keef: that's the thing of it. It was - buggers at the insurance company denied they were at fault. - won't pay nuthin.
    Interviewer: So I guess your are S.O.L. ?
    Keef: I kinda look at it as U.P.Sed

4. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    I worked with a company that shipped a lot of delicate electronics. Some of it looked like it had been thrown off a second story building. Chassis bent, bolts broken off, parts everywhere. I now ship important/expensive stuff by second day air. No guarantees of safe delivery but the fewer times it is handled the better. I wouldn't even try to ship a vintage or rare amp.

5. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2008
    Atlanta
    This has probably come up.....(I was just too damn lazy to read through this entire post) but perhaps, since the winner of the first prize never got his prize, we could all chip in $5 each or something and buy him a replacement guitar of equal awesomeness.
    I would have zero problem doing so, and my guess is my fellow TDPRI members would be more than happy to do the same.

Just a thought.

6. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Admin Post
    I think it would make sense to see what happens with this situation first....

Tim

7. Madman_Greg

Madman_Greg TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2010
    UK
    Very sad post to read, hope it all gets sprted

Someone mentioned a song. I put some lyrics together in 10 minutes as a start if people want to add to or someone can do some music.....

No problem if this is not the way to go

Please be kind

Verse
    Every year the good folk, give money to the cause
    To keep the forum running, for everyone of course
    The legacy of Leo is celebrated here
    Along with rock ‘n’ roll music and a glass or two of beer

Verse
    The organisers offer prizes that are great
    A chance to win, a chance to own for those that do donate
    The crown in these jewels was damaged while on route
    A prize fit for the scrape heap or fire wood to boot

Verse
    To try and claim for damage, it just don’t seem to work
    The colour of their vehicles just reminds me of dirt
    I bet Mr. Hahn sleeps in silk sheets with a smile
    Me I morn my damaged prize and cry and cry and cry

Chorus
    UPS you robbed me of a rock ‘n rolling dream
    Smashed and now worthless, I guess that’s the way I feel
    UPS just give me the things that should be mine
    Make sure they're good
    Not damaged goods
    And they arrive on time

Madman Greg

8. CSS

CSS Tele-Holic

May 4, 2003
    South Carolina
    This link form UPS defines packaging guidelines for musical instruments. It is best to always double box guitars and amps. If a high end guitar, it doesn't hurt to triple box it.

Sorry for the winner of guitar and hopefully he will be compensated with a new guitar or the insured value.

http://www.ups.com/packaging/?loc=en_US

9. RT1a

RT1a TDPRI Member

This is so true. You could pretty much drag a tele behind a truck and it'll come up still in tune. Toughest guitars out there! The headstock angle on Les Paul style guitars is a disaster waiting to happen.

10. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2004
    LI New York
    Wow. so sad, and YES, I read every post. I hope UPS does the right thing, if not I will refuse them every chance I get. That being said, I've had damaged things from ALL companies, and I purchased a used A-Designs Pacifica that was damaged and put in a box with 3 peanuts and a 6x9" piece of bubble wrap. The seller was a scam artist. I sent unopened ( rack ear hanging out of the box) and open pictures of the preamp back to UPS ) In that case it was them being taken advantage of ( as well as me, having my money in the wind with an out of state seller ) Good luck and so sorry to all involved...

~Michael

11. Bluzzjazz

Bluzzjazz NEW MEMBER!

Feb 3, 2011
    Wake Forest
    I bought a 79 Heritage Cherry SG Standard off ebay original brown case. Was sent FedEx in guitar case inside original molded case stuffed with newspaper, in case and in box cavities. It was well packed. Got it Christmas eve, excited picked up box, notice corner was smashed in and split but packing tape held it together. Opened case, guitar looked fine,relieved..not so fast my friend, picked up by the neck and body stayed behind! They dropped the box on it's head end and the neck joint exploded. Total loss for guitar. No way to repair. I immediately took copious photos and contacted seller and Fedex. They denied claim initially saying it was not packed properly. I took this thing up Fedex chain like it was nobody's business letters, photos, it helped my company does high volume world wide shipping with them, which I brought to their attention. 2 months later, finally they reversed their decision and paid the claim. Tragic in that I well preserved SG became a parts corpse but happy to get my money back. 2 months later I bought a 2005 SG that I'm happy with. UPS needs to make this right! I would NOT take NO for an answer. Persevere my friends!

12. superhand

superhand Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    UPS just increased its quarterly dividend. Apparently they have more love for their shareholders than their customers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110203-718568.html

I work in the receiving department of a distribution center and I have seen first hand how carelessly they handle their packages.

I wish more companies would boycott them and then maybe they will pull there heads out of their a$$es.

13. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Obviously they have denied more claims than just this one then......

14. Madman_Greg

Madman_Greg TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2010
    UK
    Ooops, I assumed Mr Hahn was the CEO of UPS, which is what I mean to write

Have changed in the attached, apologies to all concerned

Madman Greg

15. Steely_Ken

Steely_Ken Tele-Meister

May 28, 2010
    Austin Texas
    Smashed a Twin and denied Claim.
    They sell you insurance when you ship.
    But at claim time it's explained that it's not insurance.
    It's actually a perceived value program..
    Or they pay for loss and not damages.
    Or a number of excuses.

16. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

Oct 9, 2008
    Freehold NJ
    +1

17. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

Oct 9, 2008
    Freehold NJ
    Tim,

Your [post makes eminent sense, but having dealt with UPS before in a confrontational way about a guitar they lost, all I can say if this is resolved on UPS' timeline, is the poor winner better be prepared to get his prize in time for Christmas 2011.

I'd gladly give $5 or 10 bucks towards a new Hahn for the winner.

18. Novatuc

Novatuc Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2009
    Canada
    Been burnt too many times by the big courier services. Now I only use the postal services, Canadian and US whether buying or selling. They take longer but I have never had a serious problem. If a seller won't use the post office, I shop elsewhere.

19. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    I had a different experience several years ago. I bought a Takamine acoustic for $100 on eBay. When it arrived it appeared to have had a forklift go through the back. I filed the claim and was given $92 and I kept the guitar.

20. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Shared this story with my dad, who runs a local business.
    Another customer UPS won't ever get.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.