Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

UPS destroyed the Grand Prize Hahn Guitar -- claim denied!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TDPRI, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flynman

Flynman Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2008
    Myrtle Beach S.C.
    It's one thing to deny the claim and then see if the claimant will just go away to avoid the hassle.... It's a whole other thing when they have their fraud division call up and say that you are a liar and possibly committing a criminal act (ie; just call me a criminal)
    and then say the reason you are denying the claim is because I am a lying about how the damage occurred. That goes well beyond just denying a claim.

EDITED: They didn't actually say the words Liar or criminal...they just said that I opened the box... played the guitar ..dropped it....damaged it...and filed a claim saying it arrived that way...then denied the claim because I was the one that damaged the guitar.... If thats what happened...and filing a false claim is a crime and would make me a liar....then u figure out what exactly they are saying about me without actually saying it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

2. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 29, 2008
    Eugowra, Australia
    Exactly, and that is why I'll be writing a letter to the CEO

3. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 29, 2008
    Eugowra, Australia
    ....well my letter is on it's way, I forgot too say to Mr Davis that it might be a good idea if he did an "Undercover Boss" stint to see exactly how bad his company is running. Could someone obligue?

4. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    Somebody suggested a letter campaign. Why not simply gather up these postes and forward to UPS's customer service?

Gary

5. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Sorry but I think that kind of deal making is a big part of our sham of a legal system. One side pays but never admits liability, the other side that's happy to get paid agrees not to discuss the terms of settlement or they're in trouble. Meanwhile the next group of folks who get screwed over never have a chance to know about a shoddy product, service etc. due to the records being closed, thus allowing the fatcats to continue in that manner as long as it remains profitable.

In this case it's a guitar but in other cases it can be lives.

6. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 TDPRI Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Akron, OH
    I have bought over 30 guitars that required shipment. I have had 3 damaged (badly). All 3 were at the hands of UPS. FedEx has been great (and I'm not just saying that because I work for them). The USPS, although slow wasn't bad either.

In our industry it is common practice to deny claims using the "improper packaging" excuse. UPS is downright famous for it. At least FedEx pays their claims unless there was extreme neglect on the part of the shipper.

7. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That would be the textbook definition of Blackmail, which is a still a Felony most places as far as I'm aware...

8. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Just posted a comment and link on UPS's FB thread. It's probably a worthless page that is monitored by whoever is on the boss's sh@tlist for the week, but who knows.

9. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2009
    Charlotte, NC

Fixed. :D

10. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    I think DHL would make a bigger impression. After all, yellow is the new brown...:D

11. dugums

dugums Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I absolutely 100% agree with that - my post wasn't meant to endorse that behavior.

12. dugums

dugums Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I also absolutely 100% agree with that - and again, my post wasn't meant to endorse that behavior.

13. CarbonToe

CarbonToe Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2010
    Shoreham-by-Sea, UK
    Yes, you should always ask the delivery driver to wait whilst you unbox items, and in the case of electricals, power them up!

Sometimes this isn't possible, ie the box is cold, or the "driver is in a hurry". (or for somethings that need assembly or take time to unpack/power on)

Always sign for the item and add "Contents Not Checked" or "CNC" next to your signature if its a digital pad. That way you can always say the driver did not want to wait or the item was temp sensitive and it want possible to open package.

14. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

Oct 10, 2010
    Southern California
    Pro-tip. UPS sucks.

I've had issues with them in the past that include things like dropping a Twin Reverb I had coming to me, thereby ruining the speakers and damaging the cabinet, to not having the courtesy to bring me items to my door and ring my door bell, letting me know my stuff arrived. Instead, they've often left my stuff in strange parts of my yard without even letting me know it was sitting outside. They also tend to come really, really late in the day, often when it's dark outside. Definitely go FedEx or USPS from now on.

I really do not like UPS. Their claim system is not set up to help you. I know. Thankfully, the seller of the Twin Reverb put up 250 dollars toward repairs (after being greatly pestered by me [the idiot didn't pack the thing with shock protection, like foam peanuts or whatever - he only double boxed it, so it was partially his fault]), and I paid the rest of the bill. New speakers, new power tubes, a cap job, labor, and a blackface mod, which amounted to 420 dollars. To this day, the cab still needs to be repaired, which is likely a 150 dollar job, but the thing is definitely in usable condition now.

15. telemonster77

telemonster77 TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2009
    los angeles
    I used to work for UPS in the 90's. What a joke! They hire nothing but screw ups in the shipping department. I should know! Every week there is a line of people waiting to fill out applications and start working. There is no pre employment drug testing or anything. Once you're in they have you on the line packing trucks without any training! Most of the items come down belts. The people that work there kick, toss, chuck and slam the parcels. They could care less! You have to wear these scanning bracelets and scan anywhere from 400-600 boxes an hour. If you don't you are fired. DON'T EVER SHIP A VINTAGE OR VALUABLE GUITAR VIA UPS !!! YOU ALL HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011

16. kderma321

kderma321 Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2009
    boston
    You know I've had probably 15 guitars shipped by ups and never had a problem. I was feeling lucky until yesterday. MF shipped me a Vox Pathfinder and it came demolished. The amps input jack and power light were sunk into the chassis. It also didnt power up. It had the classic UPS punched hole handle. MF probably should have shipped it in an outer box.

17. freddy j

freddy j TDPRI Member

Feb 22, 2010
    oak park, michigan
    wonderful, i just shipped a 52 av ri, to a dude in l.a., almost a brand new ax. corporate america, marvelous.............

18. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

May 7, 2003
    SoCal
    While I have no love for UPS, that IS how you load trucks... larger, (usually) heavier stuff on the bottom & smaller, (usually) lighter stuff on the top. It makes the truck/trailer more stable, and tends to keep the load from shifting. Think for a minute how a load of boxes would look after a cross-country trip if it was packed with the light stuff on the bottom & the heavy stuff on top... :eek:

Btw, having worked on various freight docks loading trucks over the years (when my back was young & strong), I can tell you that most folks have huge misconceptions about how packages are handled. The guys loading the trucks/trailers are under huge pressure to get it done quickly, and get it loaded so that EVERYTHING slated for that particular truck/trailer is ready to go. Harder than you would think... usually it's like trying to pack 100lbs of crap into a 25lb bag. And stuff has to be loaded so that the weight is distributed evenly & it doesn't shift in transit.

Add to that, the fact that most things are packed so the guy on the dock doesn't know what's in the box, he just knows where in the trailer he's going to try to jam it so that everything fits. The only things that matter to the loaders are size & shape of the box and the weight... they really don't care if it's a custom Tele, a set of golf clubs, or an ironing board. The best thing you can do when shipping a guitar is overpack the heck out of it, and then send it Next Day Delivery (FedEx) so that the least amount of people handle the package. And yes, it IS going to be more expensive to send it like that. ;)

19. gregatwood

gregatwood Former Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Montreal
    UPS sucks

That's unbelievable. I hope justice is served. We have long known that insurance can be a huge scam.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.