Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

UPS destroyed the Grand Prize Hahn Guitar -- claim denied!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TDPRI, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    We have kept quiet about our Grand Prize guitar from the 2010 Giveaway as this drama played out. Here's the long and short of it.

We shipped the guitar to the winner in early December and UPS (United Parcel Service) destroyed the guitar in shipping. The winner immediately reported the damage within the first 30 mins of receiving the guitar.

We insured the guitar for $2000. But UPS now claims that some 3rd party insurance company that they contract with has denied the claim and it is their claim that the guitar was not damaged in shipment. There is no appeal. No recourse and no option. The claim has been totally denied.

We've decided to go public and tell this story as we prepare to sue UPS for the amount of the claim and treble damages for business fraud as permitted in the state of Texas.

We know that stuff happens when products get shipped. We understand that. All we expect is that when you insure against that damage that the contract is honored and we're shocked and saddened that UPS does not honor it's commitments.

We can't speak for you or others, but we do not plan to ship via UPS on our future shipments.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

2. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    That's just pathetic.

And unfortunately so typical.

Federal law says they are responsible for the stuff they ship, whether they have a third party insurance company or not.

3. casey2910

casey2910 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2009
    arkansas
    UPS "lost" 2 gear boxes in a row being shipped to me that was ordered Dec. 24, 2010. Customer service must be a past tense phrase for them now. I had to have the gear box shipped by independent strait shipping. They lost both gear boxes in the same terminal-----Memphis.

4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    That is unfortunate.

5. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Wow, that's a shame. It's bad enough the instrument got trashed, but to deny the claim? Can you recoup your legal expenses if this goes all the way? It would suck to pay legal fees from money that was generated from a raffle where the main prize was the very guitar that they trashed...

6. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2009
    OKUSA
    Sorry to hear that. Sounds like it's time for a "UPS Breaks Guitars" video.

7. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I hope you are successful with your suit.

I remember shipping a bass guitar by UPS to a chap in NYC. He sent me a photo of what the box looked like when it arrived. It looked like it had been dragged down the road behind the truck and then thrown over a cliff. But luckily (and I still can't believe this) the bass was in fine condition. Regardless, that was the last time I shipped anything by UPS.

My experience has been that Canada Post and the US Postal Service take far better care of packages than most couriers do.

8. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2003
    Maine
    What is so terrible out this whole ordeal is that at it's heart, the guitar was a reflection of the generosity of people. From Hahn to the winner who contributed to TDPRI fundraising.

Hopefully something good will come from all of this at the end.

9. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    Just bought a guitar from Wildwood Music. Since I'm a half an hour away I was able to go down there. They wanted to ship it to my house so I'd save $40 bucks or so on taxes. I'm so glad I paid the money and took it home myself. Unbelievable story, You'd think somebody would step up to the plate especially for such a small amount

10. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

What a joke. I have been noticing issues with UPS as of late...though not on that scale. Hope it goes well. We all stand behind you.

I sent them an email as well. That sucks.

11. LarryM

LarryM Tele-Holic

Feb 27, 2010
    TeleTown
    I swore off UPS years ago - The quality of service Fedex offers is like night & day.

12. stonerwitch

stonerwitch Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2011
    Detroit Rock City
    i have had 3 claims by ups denied, even with extra insurance purchased. what a freaking joke, i hate them immensely. they packed it, shipped it, destroyed it and denied it.

13. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

Whilst we obviously don't have UPS here in New Zealand... I too had an unfortunate gear related incident with my postal provider.
    I bought a MIJ 52 Tele neck off of ebay ($240 USD) and had it shipped to my home address.
    I check tracking one morning and see that it's showing as 'delivered'.
    No sign off it anywhere on our property and I check with my wife who knows nothing either.
    Many phone calls later I resort to going to every single house in our street and checking with the owners but still no joy.
    I am told by NZ post that I have to open an investiagtion....but it has to be opened at the US end????? Clearly, the item was fine until the NZ post delivery guy had gotten a hold of it. But no - I'm told that I have to contact the seller in the US and get him to open the claim for me.
    Well, suffice to say that he's not too happy about this and as far as he's concerned his responsibility ended after he pacakaged and sent the neck.
    I eventually realize that I'm looking at having to just write the whole thing off.....until....one night (about 6 weeks later) we are watching TV and there's a knock at the front door. Puzzled, I answer and find a middle aged gentlemen standing there. He asks my name and says that he has something for me. He opens the boot of his car and pulls out a long USPS package!
    He tells me that he and his wife have been overseas for 6 weeks and came home to find this mysterious package on his front porch! We are number 8 in our street and he's number 8 in the next street over :mad:

A happy ending but I still contacted NZ post to let me know of the mistake. They promised to get back to me with a follow up....... but never did.

This was the second time I'd had bad gear related experience with them.
    About a year before this a small parcel of Glendale parts just vanished upon arriving in the country. Never found it.

Good luck with your legal procedures.

14. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    That is disappointing.

I'm currently embroiled in the insurance claims process with USPS concerning a guitar (Tele) body that got damaged in shipping. They supposedly sent me a form to fill out on Oct.4. The seller has notified them that I never received it at least twice in Nov. Still nothing. Hard to fill in a form you never get. Anybody find it ironic that USPS can't deliver a form that they themselves are (supposedly) sending out.

So, it's not just UPS.

But, it still sucks for you, Chihoe, and the winner. I hope you can get it sorted.

Cheers,
    Geof

15. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    If possible its always best to reject what may well be a badly damaged delivery .I had a Mac once that went missing ,took two weeks to deliver and had fork lift tyre marks across the box and it was all ripped up .I refused to sign for it ,photographed it with the driver who I insisted wait while I did it ,and contacted Apple .Another was received the next day(yes they can do it ) and I am still using it .I know its not always possible .I always thought that an insured package was just that .I must confess I hate mailing guitars .Sorry to hear about the problems though .Its a sour outcome to a great and exiting event in our lives. I hope it is all resolved .

16. <jbc>

<jbc> Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2007
    Switzerland

17. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 27, 2006
    GA
    Wow, I am sorry to hear that. I am not surprised though due to the service I've seen from UPS over the past year or so. They have gone downhill. I think there should be a class action lawsuit on them. They are basically stealing people's money for "insurance". It is totally absurd. Here's the most recent incident I had with them.

I shipped an acoustic guitar with them. It was 22 pounds and they charged me as if it were 46 pounds for some unexplained reason. Then I get a charge on my debit card for another $8 because they decided to bill it at 50 something pounds. So to ship this guitar ground to texas cost me $60 somthing dollars. It took them over a week (and didn't even show up in the tracking for 4 days) and it was delayed "due to adverse weather conditions" a week or two after the snow storm had cleared up. Luckily it wasn't damaged because that would have cost me the full amout of the guitar + shipping due to their insurance fraud.

18. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2006
    LaGrange, GA

19. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Nov 21, 2010
    Rocky Hill, CT
    That's a crying shame :(
    One pity is that it wasn't that long ago when "Brown" was held up to young enterpreneurs as the paragon of how American Business should be.
    Another pity is that for my next mail orders, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, my choice of vendor will depend in part on my vendor's choice of shipper.

My Dot came via UPS, but the shipping case it was in was torn; Praise to zzounds, of more accurately their fullfilment company, for double boxing the guitar. Unfortunately since I would not be willing to deal with UPS in the future, this being the last straw, even good actors will be closed out. Still, the vendor has a choice to make in the matter, and if we communicate with enough vendors maybe "Brown" will hear some noise. Money has loudness.

20. Travst

Travst Tele-Holic

Sep 22, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    Same story with 2 amps for me... one outgoing, one incoming, and both were insured. Both were hung up on some BS reason-the packing, etc (both were well-packed). The V4 head looked like it'd been dropped from a height. The claims were denied, and the USPS had gotten all my business since that time. If UPS had paid the $300 in claims, they'd have made much more on my business, as I ship a fair amount of gear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.