Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Upright bass question?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by J. Hayes, Apr 21, 2017.

1. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    I'm probably the only Lawrence Welk fan on this forum but I noticed that his bass player, upright, electric and tuba) in the color shows has this upright bass with some sort of device or attachment on the headstock which looks like a wooden rod or something going upward out of the headstock. I also saw a bass player on Austin City Limits recently who had the same thing. Anyone know what that is? Just curious............JH in Va.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

In classical music, double bass players sometimes double the cello line, an octave below. The trouble is that cellos go down to C and double basses only go down to E. The extension lets them go down to C. I've never seen a jazz bassist use one, for example. I can't imagine the levers give you the same control and feel as a fingered note.

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Yes that's an low-C extension. Lets the bass play a full octave below the lowest note on a cello. They are very very common on basses for orchestra players--in fact you sometimes can't get an orchestra gig without one. Usually they have some sort of capo type arrangement that lets you stop a note below your low E.

Usually you want to install them non-invasively, so they can easily be removed, as in the picture Mike Simpson posted. Notice the E string is being tuned by the A tuner, which has been switched to E

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.