Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Update-Pros Cons Tips of Mustang GT (40) "Clear the Air"

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by burntfrijoles, May 20, 2017.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    After two weeks I’m all in on the GT40. It's not an expensive amp so it has its limitations. You shouldn't expect a high end device. That said, it's pretty darn good.

I am no pro at creating tones. It takes some patience and trial and error at first as there is a slight learning curve. It’s not about the user interface on the amp or the App. They are easy and intuitive IMO. It’s about all the amp models, speaker cabs and parameters and getting to know them. There are a lot of the possibilities.

The things I like:
    1. the bluetooth streaming of music and backing tracks. The bluetooth is excellent. I stream from youtube, a "slow down" app or my music library without problem and the stereo configuration yields excellent quality. It’s a 2 x 20 stereo amp configuration.
    2. the ease of using the App (speaking of iOS only as i hear Android has some issues) It makes it easier to edit patches and download patches etc. Plus, not having to connect it to a Laptop or Desktop. It’s one less cable and inconvenience.
    3. The clean and "edge of breakup" tones that are readily available.
    4. The endless ability to tweak a setting to achieve a desired sound. I think you can find or create almost any artist you can think of.
    5. the potential of downloading excellent presets created by artists and the online community.
    The things I don't like:
    1. many of the default presets are “not all that and a bag of chips” (but don’t judge the amp by what you get out of the box)
    2. the amp can sounds a little boxy on some settings although this is easily corrected with a little tweaking.
    3. Although the App is excellent it needs some refinement in some ways, but it should get better as Fender add enhancements.
    Tips:

-Some suggest that one of the 4 x 12 celestion speaker cabinets is the cure-all for the boxy tones of some patches/models. It's not. It varies by amp model. For instance, I got the best results on one model by using the Twin Reverb cab.
    -Once you create a patch it's easy to use the amp’s Eq and gain controls for minor changes if switching from a single coil to a humbucker guitar. I have found that it is necessary to do this and it makes sense. If you’ve created the patch for a humbucker, chances are that the gain and high end would not fit a Tele or Strat and vice versa.
    -you have to go to settings and connect bluetooth each time you turn on the amp. It may help if you put your phone on “Never” for sleep options.
    -some things in the App are funky. For instance if you choose “Create a preset” and select an amp, you also have to name the patch before you can get to the edit controls.
    -You control music you are streaming by the volume on the source, not the master volume on the amp. You have to balance your guitar level and your music level.
    -I really like the Range Booster as a stomp box.
    -Moderation! With almost limitless delays, stomp boxes, reverbs, cab models and the ability to adjust “sag” and “bias”, it’s easy to overthink things. Keep it simple at first. Don’t change too much or else you won’t know what improved or hurt a tone.

Bottom line for me: The GT40 is not a gigging amp. I've had one for two weeks and I'm very pleased overall. Is it perfect? No, but it's great as practice amp and low volume home/bedroom use. The audio quality of music streams is excellent. It's almost exactly what I was looking for in terms of features. However, it's not a Helix or a Kemper. Guess what, the Code, Katana, Peavey aren't a Helix or a Kemper either. It's a $250 amp for goodness sakes. (Then again, I've been labeled as tone deaf.)

However, I have a nice Peter Green tone, an awesome Blues tone (think Ronnie Earl); a Gary Clarke “If Trouble was Money” tone, a marvelous clean setting (stock) and I've downloaded excellent patches for a Gilmour "Time" solo, Knopflers "Sultans" or "Lady Writer" (nice compression for a percussive attack) and a few others. I created a Keef Midnight Rambler tone this morning in less than 5 minutes. I'm getting better at tweaking it.

I would buy it again.

YMMV.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    sparkz, gpar7, Cliffyg62 and 4 others like this.

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    If the part about some suggesting the 412's are a cure all is directed at me, i never said that it's a cure all. I just said the 412GB cab (or any of the 412's) will eliminate that boxy sound from some models like the GA15 for a good example, and it IS in that case. default, it's as small and boxy as i can imagine and with a 412 it's just not. You may not hear that but i do and i'm sure some others will. It's not a cure all in that it's all you need to do to have a great sound, but it does relieve that boxiness from many models. I can't imagine you can't hear that. The princeton model is undeniably boxy, yet in the slot next to my bassman patch that is the antithesis of boxy, they sound the same in that regard with a 412 on both.

3. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Whoa... this is not about you! A few people, including me, have talked about about correcting for the boxy quality of some models and suggested the 4x12 helps. I was just pointing out that's it not applicable to all amp models. As I have gone through more models and gained more experience I have found that it varies by amp model. In fact, there are other ways to correct for it. I haven't even used the amp model patch you mentioned so I have no idea how it sounds. I was merely offering tips, suggestions and impressions on what I hear and how I have used the GT.

Further I was trying to summarize my experiences and add an updated perspective on the whole GT discussion. Maybe it helps someone and maybe it doesn't.

Plus, I am only speaking about the GT40. It's a ported, closed back cab. For all I know, they all sound somewhat different.

Cliffyg62, tersec and maxvintage like this.

4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Don't take it the wrong way. I was only trying to clear that up if you were referring to me, which i assumed because i'm mentioned that many times. No offense intended in the least !

5. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Is there not even one universally agreed upon setting that sounds great right out of the box? I have a Fender G-DEC and a Mustang Floor, and I don't understand why the 00 default settings (please tell me that they've enabled the GT to turn on with the last setting played) on both are mediocre. Why aren't the first bank of basic presets (and kudos to Fender for moving these to the front of the menu rather than the last) set to sound their very best? Why isn't the 4X12 cab the default, if it makes it sound better? Does the '59 Bassman sound nothing like the real thing? A lot of the tones are intended to be song/artist specific, yes? I mean, does "Spoonful" not sound like Cream; Does "Derek Champ" not capture the tone of the Layla album; "Purple Fuzz" isn't Jimi enough? I wish I could find a comparison with the Marshall CODE, as that seems like the closest competitor, not the Katana or the Roland Mini CUBE.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    "I wish I could find a comparison with the Marshall CODE, as that seems like the closest competitor"

I have a Marshall CODE50, and I cannot recommend it, because it takes a LOT of time tweaking to get to understand it.
    It has some other weaknesses/shortcomings as well.

Having said that, it's what I now gig with

Cliffyg62 likes this.

7. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I already have a CODE 25, and am wondering if it fulfills the same needs as the GT40. I thought you were a Mustang Floor into a Mustang III man.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I was, and I loved that setup.

My busiest band has pretty much disallowed me use of that rig. (Long story and one which pisses me off)

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I love long stories as I can easily relate to inter band conflicts. Maybe it'll do you some good to air it out. I can't imagine what somebody's beef could be about YOUR set up.

10. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    How do the tones compare to the old Mustang once you got it figured out?

11. sparkz

sparkz TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Southern California
    Thank you for starting this thread.

I'm very pleased with my GT40 and also with my Katana 50 because they are so different. Both are excellent amps and so versatile.

Favorite basic amp settings on GT40 are Tweed Bassman, (65) Bandmaster, and 70s and 80s Marshall. Seems that all amp settings are decent but these are favorites. Oddly the clean, acoustic, jumped Marshall JTM, Matchless, and high gain Rectifier from "sneaky amps" software are my favorites amps on the Katana 50. Believe this reflects the different modeling approaches where Boss tried to focus on replicating EL34 output stages, output transformer, and GT12 Celestion speaker whereas Fender models around their traditional 6v6/6l6 output stages.

Both amps do a good job of modeling equal bias preamp gain stages that primarily generate 3rd harmonics and above. However Fender GT40 goes 1 step deeper in modeling on the 70s and 80s Marshall amp settings through use of unequal preamp bias that creates higher levels of 2nd harmonic sounds....im amazed at this accurate voicing in a modeling amp that creates Higher levels of 2nd harmonic content.

I Want to download the Gilmour Time and Knopfler Sultan settings into my GT40 but had hiccups downloading from internet into iPhone and then onto amp. Probably a cockpit problem that I've created! Lol.

Glad I don't Require a board full of pedals to have fun with GT40. Want to get the 4 button foot switch for looper function and exp 1 pedal.

My boutique tube amps are great sounding one trick ponies without much versatility.....can't go from surf to finger picking acoustic to jazz to 70s classic or 80s rock easily with any single tube amp.

JasonKingsX and atticus899 like this.

12. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I assume you were using the Tone App to download. It works great and I have had no trouble. Although after I "opened" one of them I forgot to press "save". LOL.

I agree that one of the best things is to be able to emulate great tones without a bunch of pedals. It's instant gratification after you've saved a few patches. It gets better after you save those to a set list. One of the small things I like about the app is the search feature to get right to a preset.

I haven't found the need for the foot pedal yet but may reconsider later.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

13. sparkz

sparkz TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Southern California
    Thanks for the encouragement.... you are a few steps ahead of me in getting full use out of the GT40.

In my case it was likely my unfamiliarity with the app and process aka cockpit pilot error, lol. Have opened Tone Studio on computer, iPad, and iPhone but haven't controlled amp but it's confirmed to be Bluetooth and wifi connected. Somehow I was able to download the Gary Clarke amp settings from Fender website to amp but it was a fluke. I've never been a fan of the Princeton amp used in the Gary ClarKe preset or the original Princeton....same with Champ amp.

Fender did a good job modeling the champ and Princeton....they sound exactly like I remember them....didn't like the originals any better than the modeled versions.

Mostly using presets and happy with about 20-24 of the 109 included presets that are useful enough without much "knob" twiddling.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.