Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Update on 52RI modern rewiring

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Lawson, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Norway
    Got some help soldering and we went thru with the rewiring to modern 3way. Followed the schematic, removed that bass tone part(cap?) and changed the pickup wires.

At first listen it sounded right, though the volume/tone rsponsiveness seem to be squeezed into a smaller area of the knob turn, which I guess I can live with.

Neck position is nice and fat, middle pos. a bit more "nasal", but then there is the inevitable problem: bridge pickup is really low in volume and thin-sounding. It used to be a tad louder than the neckpup before, but now it sounds like all the "hair", body and volume has been sucked out of it. Would really appreciate some pointers on what might be the problem.

I'm tempted to post some sound samples to have some new ears judge.

2. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    Sounds like the bridge pickup isn't connected properly. Resolder both wires from the bridge pickup (black wire on the back of the volume pot and white/yellow wire to the common lug on the bottom side of the switch. And of course doublecheck your work against the diagram.

[​IMG]

3. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Norway
    Thanks man, I will try resolder tomorrow. We had some problems making the solder actually stick to the pot, so struggling to connect it, the job was not proper enough maybe. I have read about some "flux cored" solder wire, that adheres better, and melts quicker? This is fine to use on guitar electronics?

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Resolder on top of the existing blob, if it's an old pot. If it's a new pot, ensure you file some cad plating off the back and 'tin' it with a bit of solder first, before trying to attach the wire. Tin the wire, too. Soldering is a bit like epoxy, it sticks better when both bits have a layer to start with.

Consider a four way switch. Unless you're 100% chicken-picken clean the four-way is a good way to 'Keef' it up when needs-be. Apart from the extra in-between position you lose nothing of the stock wiring and series in-phase is a powerful sound.

5. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Norway
    Cad plating? Also, do people use that "flux cored solderwire" normally for guitars? Is there a specific name for such solderwire?

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    The gold is cadmium or sometimes it's zinc is an antirust measure.

Solder won't stick to it.

Resin cored solder is better my mind but some still prefer their resin separate.

7. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

Take a piece of sandpaper and rough-up a small spot on the back of the pot, then add solder.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.