Update - Earth G2000 - also need troubleshoot and cab recommendations

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jondom22, May 15, 2012.

1. jondom22

jondom22 TDPRI Member

Previous Thread - http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/324292-100-watt-tube-heads-do-you-think-best.html

As I mentioned in the previous thread when I was looking for a 100 watt tube head to buy, I ended up purchasing an Earth Sound Research G2000 head from 1973 for $280 plus a Zvex Distortron pedal (I paid between $70 - $90). The head is pretty much identical circuit to a Fender Twin Reverb (or Dual Showman Reverb), and I got it for less than half of what a Dual Showman goes for.

Anyways, here's the update since I purchased it:

I really lucked out in that it didn't need any new caps (3 of the filter caps had been replaced already, and all of the caps measured as spec) or resisters or any major work. All it needed was a fresh set of power tubes (I used my preamp tubes from my SF Deluxe Reverb), new grounded power chord (the ground pin on the old one had broken off), biasing, and replacing a couple of jacks. My amp tech also put drilled a new jack in the back of the chassis for a 16 ohm speaker tap (to go along with the 4 ohm main and ext speaker taps) just to have some versatility in case Im playing someone elses cab.

Total cost of repairs - $115 ($65 quad 6L6's, plus jacks, power chord, and benchwork). My tech is a really nice guy who worked originally in the USSR and then began working on 48th st in Manhattan in the 1970's, and had the pleasure of working/learning from Jess Oliver (Ampeg) at one point. He went over the whole thing, checked out all of the numbers, checked all of the soldering joints, etc. (I cleaned up the pots and tube sockets prior to brining it to him). Between the time he worked on it alone, and me coming in, playing with it, and talking to him, and him showing me stuff, he could have easily charged for $2-3 hours of work, but he probably only charged me for $20 labor (I also slipped him an extra $10 for being the man).

Long story short, I got a steal!! $280 + pedal ($70 - $90) + $115 + $10 = $475 - $505 for a completely gone over Fender Dual Showman Reverb/Twin Reverb Clone.

You can check pics of the amp before the work (not that it looks any different really) here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/7902040...7629902136545/

So here's 2 questions I have:

1) Reverb Buzzing - When the reverb is off, there is no buzzing when I hit notes/chords. The more I turn it up, the more buzz I get when I hit notes/chords. I assume I either need to do one or more of the following: change V4 and/or V3; change the reverb cables; change the reverb pan. I figure its not part of the circuit because I'm not switching the reverb off when I turn the volume down (as opposed to using the footswitch). It really sounds like a buzzing/rattle coming from the tank (I'm pretty sure my V3 and V4 are good cos I took it from my SFDR which does not have reverb buzz issues).

Does anyone know if the correct replacement tank is an Accutronics 4AB3C1B (in case its not the cables or tubes?

2 - 4x12 cab recommendations - Per my original thread, I'm using this head in a punk/noise type of group, in which I have a fuzz pedal engaged 97% of the time. I wanted something with as much headroom so that I don't put the fuzz in front of too much OD from the amp (which I think gives it too much punch, at least on my SFDR).

I have been playing an SFDR with an 8ohm V30 also with an 8ohm 2x12 extension cab with V30's and I really like the way V30's handle high gain and fuzz (I originally had a Weber 12F150 in the combo).

Thus, I am looking for a 4x12 with V30's on the cheap. Here's some local CL deals I found, all of which are angled 4x12 cabs with V30's:

1 - Marshall 1960AV - $400 (with cover)
    2 - Mesa Boogie with V30's - asking $500, prob could get for $400 or less
    3 - Line 6 412VS - $275
    4 - Avatar with V30's - $400 (maybe could get him down a little lower)

I am leaning towards the Line 6 cos its $125 less than the next cab, has the same speakers, and the guy would deliver it to me for $10 (I don't have a car and only 1 friend of mine would be willing lend me his car to pick it up). The downside of this cab is that its made of regular plywood (pine) and is only 6 ply (I could be wrong on that), whereas all of the others are made of 11 ply (or thicker) birch.

My reasoning for leaning towards the Line 6 are as follows:

1 - I'm going to be using this for a punk/noise group, playing in DIY basements, warehouses, lofts, etc (aka no one gives a **** about tone except me, haha).

2 - I like the sound of my V30 in my SFDR better than the sound of my custom built Cage Audio open back 2x12 with V30's in the shape of the Marshall Bluesbreaker (it's made of 13 ply Baltic Birch).

3 - From what I have been told, wood type matters more in an open back cab since it resonates more.

Let me know what all your thoughts are on my new amp, the reverb issue, and cab recommendations.

Thanks

2. jondom22

jondom22 TDPRI Member

Any help on the 4x12 cab recommendations? Reverb issue?

Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.