Unusually high call volume

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Art VanDelay, Jan 6, 2019.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I interacted with an automated call center recently that confirmed my telephone number, gave me an accurate estimate of the waiting time and asked me to press # if I want a call back. I wish I could remember the company. Nine minutes later, as promised, a human called me back. I've also called Marriott where in the past Platinum Elite members were given a special number where calls were immediately answered by a human. No more. Now before you are even allowed to press a number indicating your need, you have to listen to three minutes of promotional blather and a two minute apology for a data breach that never should have happened in the first place. What's going on here? Has Marriott modeled itself after an airline?

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Call volume would be a lot lower if a bunch of ignorant know-it-alls would read their mail, pay their bills on time, etc. If you are calling with questions about your bill, have the bill in hand when you call. Also would speed things up if people calling to get information got pen and paper before calling.

Peregrino69 likes this.
  3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

You think it's easy. It's not.

Some days you work a full shift with calls coming in three seconds apart. Some days you have twenty minutes between calls. Not predictable. My company has 47,000,000 customers.

There's a call center in the Phillipines with 3000 employees. Most of them live in the facility Monday through Friday and go home on the weekend.

Peregrino69 likes this.
  4. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

I should clarify. By "service quality", I was referring to the quality of the product/service the parent company is providing. For example, one of my worst customer service experiences was a cable company with terrible reliability, poor offerings, and a ridiculous bill.

I have spent time in the world of phone support and even more time in IT support and outsourcing. I'm well aware that it's not the fault of the person on the phone and they are likely just as pissed at the branded company as the customer, maybe more so.

Peregrino69 and Ricky D. like this.
  5. telepicker52

telepicker52 Tele-Holic

Lol. I was calling to ask a question about the Companion 15 battery-powered amp I recently bought at flea market. I think they were produced in 1987-88.

6. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Touche :D

... what??? Are you referring to working as a self-employed, or being a hired hand?

If that applies when you're actually a salaried employee of another company... oh my! Finnish law says that salary must be available on the date specified in the contract, if no date is specified at the last day of the month. If the salary is delayed beyond the date, the following day the unpaid salary begins accumulating interest according to current rates. So by and large salaries do get paid on time. I remember mine being late on my first job a couple of; always been due to a failure on the bank's systems. Or that's what they said.

Now thinking about it I worked there for about half a year, whereas I've got several years with other employers. And that first one is the only time ever my salary's been late. There actually might be more behind that company not existing anymore than I first thought...

I don't know whether Dutch have similar law - in the past two decades my salary's always been available latest at the payday. Now where the heck did I put my knocking-wood????

Usually my situation as well. Wasn't a problem in the nineties - I always agreed with the payroll that they will deduct 2% over my actual tax rate. Didn't even notice the difference on monthly basis, but at the end of the year I always received a nice Xmas bonus from the taxman :) Too bad my current employees haven't been willing to do that :(

... employeRs dammit...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  7. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's what I'm saying. Customer service is an expense, and this is just another way of creating profit, as in many of these situations you are (on top of the standard call cost) paying for the service per minute.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.