Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

unusual, idiosyncratic or innovative guitarists

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Endless Mike, Feb 13, 2018 at 1:10 PM.

1. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Andy Gill from the Gang of Four, possibly?

Tom Morello? Joey Santiago from the Pixies.

Someone has already mentioned Robert Quine, his playing with Richard Hell is really angular and odd.

Most of Captain Beefhearts guitarists would qualify too.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Based on reading your thread title, I was going to say Willie Nelson. Then you added the "unknown" criterion in your original post. Nothing about the terms "unusual, idiosyncratic or innovative" inherently means "unknown," and Willie definitely fits the bill otherwise. I once heard Waylon refer to Willie as the "Lord of the backbeat." And his choice of instrument and playing technique applied to his genre of choice...yeah, unusual, idiosyncratic and innovative.

3. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Eugene Chadbourne
    James Blood Ulmer
    Pete Cosey
    Henry Kaiser
    Nels Kline

4. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Sorry, didn't read carefully enough. I strike Henry Kaiser from the list.
    Nels' solo/self titled stuff is my nomination. Not Wilco, although he's awesome with Wilco.

5. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Michael Timmins from The Cowboy Junkies. Whenever I hear him solo I scratch my head.

Vitadog likes this.

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    the Ferret brothers, who played with Django:

Wayne Krantz, who is inventing a new vocabulary:

+1 Steve Tibbetts, whose album "Yr" is Out There like "outer Himalaya" levels of out there

GuitOp81 and JayFreddy like this.

7. Wayne Museum

Wayne Museum TDPRI Member

May 7, 2017
    SC

8. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Bruce Cockburn is huge up north, but not so well know (for whatever strange reason) in the states. Not only is he a freaking monster player, he does some things that down right scare me.

grooveiron likes this.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Bill Frisell used to be pretty out there in the '80s with his EHX 16 second delay, saw him several times with Paul Motian.
    I also saw Frisell with Robert Quine and John Zorn, and knew Quine somewhat though he was not a very friendly fellow.

I know about most names that have been brought up but a few are new to me, and some I knew must have done some cool stuff I missed.
    Steve Tibbets is some real old time stuff in the realm of postmodern guitar!
    He was right at the beginning of that movement.
    Recorded whole albums on a Pro Walkman.
    Where is he now?

JayFreddy likes this.

10. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I saw Bill Frisell and Tim Berne in a little dive bar in Central Square in Cambridge MA around 1984. They played for about 15 people. I think it may have caused permanent damage... ;)

I think Steve Tibbetts is still doing his thing, but I'm not sure. His website seems fairly up to date.

https://stevetibbetts.com

11. Vitadog

Vitadog TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Somonauk, IL

Trace Bundy. This is a cover but check out his original stuff.

12. GuitOp81

GuitOp81 Tele-Holic

Oct 13, 2013
    NJ

13. GuitOp81

GuitOp81 Tele-Holic

Oct 13, 2013
    NJ

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Little dive bar in central square? The Middle East?
    I saw Sonic Youth there when it had grown into a medium sized dive bar, but they were not the headliner that night.

The headliner was Borbetomagus.
    Here they are featuring the Fender Telecaster.
    Watch at your own risk!

I saw Frisell and numerous other cool Jazz acts at the 1369 Jazz club in Porter Sq Cambridge, a place like a railroad car with the stage at the end. Almost had to duck to avoid getting conked by saxes. Steve Lacy solo one night, for the last hour or so it was just me watching him make delightful animal noises, as if trying to communicate from another world.

Borbetomagus invited me to play at some festival down South later in the year, but ha ha I had no road case for my electric cello. All they needed to know about me was that I played electric cello in a band and I was hired! No pay of course.

Art needs no compensation.
    Long drives however do require some funds.
    And road cases.
    Years later a really good luthier in NYC offered me a job making bass and cello cases as an in toward getting trained to repair cellos and basses.
    Too late! No case for you!

So the "permanent damage" was more Tim than Bill I presume?
    Bill was always tasteful and classy, no matter how car crashy the surrounding noise.
    Saw him with Quine and Zorn at Sanders Theater (Harvard) and 2/3 of the audience hurried out in the first ten minutes.
    Never saw so many diamond toothed dead minks on parade.

GuitOp81 and JayFreddy like this.

15. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    Rowland S Howard (circa Birthday Party)

Vini Reilly

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 11:26 AM

16. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    You, Sollophonic and ex-riverman are on the right track. Now I'll admit, it doesn't appear I conveyed my intent well in the initial post. The big issue is who are the players doing this now. By now, I mean the last ten years or so. All these other names, they've been heard before, they are known, even if only to the music community.

There are some great examples mentioned, but I wonder and look to find out who are the new guard? Who are those carrying the torch NOW, not those who've been around the last 20, 30 or 40 years. I love many of those mentioned, but we need to know who is to be recognized in the current times.

The butterfly tapping guy? Stanley Jordan and Michael Hedges were way ahead of that guy. He's kinda' old news at this point.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 4:18 PM
    telemnemonics likes this.

17. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Dave Tronzo

NYC’s mad scientist of jazz slide guitar...endlessly creative, no ego & willing to share his knowledge, teaching out of Berklee. Almost 20 years ago, I had the privilege of attending both a concert & workshop, picking his brain about tunings, technique & things.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Tronzo

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 10:20 AM
    GuitOp81 and telemnemonics like this.

18. Bob Womack

Bob Womack TDPRI Member

I'm a little trapped within melodic genres but within those, two guys stick out and conform well to this description are Derek Trucks and Mark Knopfler. They are very different but both bring an interesting right-hand approach to the table.

Bob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.