Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Unsure Guitar Day: G&L Tribute Fallout

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by outsidetown, Aug 23, 2017.

1. outsidetown

outsidetown TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    UK
    I'm pretty damn new to playing, but somehow have two guitars (oops...) - a MIM Tele and this G&L Fallout Tribute.

The Fallout was my first guitar a few months ago. I bought it without playing it and although it looks awesome and everything I read and watched made it seem like an amazing guitar. And it is! The pickups are great, and the frets are some of the smoothest I've seen, and it looks fun.

But then I played the tele, and this guy hasn't been picked up. I hadn't planned to get another guitar but the Telecaster was a good deal, my favourite finish, and plays like a dream. I think the main niggle I have with the Fallout is the body is fairly small and I'm 6'3". It seems a little small where the big plank of Telecaster feels right. I'm also much more of a single coil guy.

I've been trying to sell it but obviously, it's pretty niche and hasn't had much interest. In fact, a guy came round to have a play today and I really started remembering why I bought it. I'm considering keeping it and learning how to set it up better, as well as replace the electronics and pots, and switches, which are definitely the weak parts. A new pickguard would be fun too, it's slightly ropey in parts. It's nice to have a range of tones I suppose, though my playing is so basic that I kind of don't feel worthy of having two guitars - is that stupid?

This post has no real point, just wanted to show it off as you don't see too many! Hard to capture the lovely "fullerton red" colour - far more pinky/orange than Candy Apple red!

[​IMG]

studio1087, lineboat and Vespa_One like this.

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    The Fallout is short scale, right? If so, keep it. No reason not to have one of both...a short scale and a "long" scale in the Tele.

Really neat guitar, by the way. Bet it sounds amazing.

3. outsidetown

outsidetown TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    UK
    It's actually regular Fender scale, it just looks like it should be shorter I think! I have tried some MIM Duo-Sonics since and this smokes them. It's really solid.

Here's a great demo of it!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017

4. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Keep it! You need at least 2 electrics in the stable.

Piggy Stu and Dismalhead like this.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Not so fast comrade! The Fallout gives you P-90 and HB options to your Tele. If you sell it you will end up regretting it. Also, you'll take a hit in £££ because of the used price.

6. outsidetown

outsidetown TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    UK
    I'm fast discovering that! Had some very very low offers which make me think it's a keeper. I'm going to figure out how to make the action a bit lower and give it a blast tonight.

7. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    your problem is not that you have two guitars but that you ONLY have two guitars.

I would definitely hold onto it for a while.

Some people say that if you don't bond with a guitar right away then you never will.

Nonsense. I have 8 guitars and half of them took me over a year to bond with. And some that I loved instantly I now don't play all that much - you fall in and out of love with them.

Unless you either totally hate it or need the cash, stick with it for a while longer.

outsidetown likes this.

8. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Just hang onto it. Might as well, unless you need the cash. And even then... if it ain't selling, you're not even getting the cash!

Keep it. I'm 85% a Tele player; the other 15 needs something else. Think of the G&L as your "something else."

9. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2016
    Oshkosh, B'gosh
    I'm not trying to be a smarta** here, just curious, but what is it that makes you think that the electronics, pots and switches are the weak parts? How did you come to that conclusion?

10. outsidetown

outsidetown TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    UK
    Haha, I just mean physically they feel really flimsy - the knobs turns at the lightest touch and the switch rattles around. It's not a big deal and I might be talking rubbish...

11. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    Sell it online and you will get more for it.

12. outsidetown

outsidetown TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    UK
    Well, I got it set up with as low an action as possible, and lighter strings and the love for this guitar is definitely back! I obviously bought it for a reason and now it's as fun to play as my tele, and the P90 is just gorgeous. Thanks for convincing me to keep it!

Les Paul lover likes this.

13. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    Amazing what a good set up will do to any guitar.

It changes everything!!!

14. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    You've gotta have a P90.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    It is really nice to have a second guitar with different pickups. As you progress, you may end up going back to the Fallout occasionally anyway. Your adventure into guitar playing can take you places where you never thought you would go. Enjoy and relish the experience.

outsidetown likes this.

16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    We'll be here for this same conversation when you get your first acoustic. ;)

outsidetown likes this.

17. JagInTheBag

JagInTheBag TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Grayslake, IL
    The Fallout is 1/8" thinner than the Tele, yet it is longer. It has a narrower waist, true, and a forearm and belly cuts. I'm guessing your Tele does not. As a matter of overall area, the Fallout isn't smaller, it is a different shape. I'm 6'1" and I like the fit better than a typical T-Style (sorry TDPRI people). If you don't like the switchgear on the Tribute model, yeah, upgrade it. But don't broom it. You will regret it.

On another note, memorize this equation:

The Ideal Number of Guitars (iG) in relation to the Current Number of Guitars (CG) is as follows, iG = GC +1

BigDaddyLH likes this.

18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I agree, unless you really need the cash keep Fallout and play it for a bit longer. You may fall in love with it at some point. I've had quite a few guitars "grow on me" after a period of time.

You'll find you develop specific preferences in pickups, neck scale, width, and thickness over time. Sounds like you're starting to figure that out. Even if you're not gonna buy them, when you go to a store check out anything that seems interesting.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I was going to suggest raisng the action and putting on heavier strings and tuning it to open E or G for slide playing, but it sounds like you have it where you want it. Switch and pots are an easy upgrade. I really like the humbuckers on my G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carvetop, so I'd keep the pickups. I have lots of guitars. I went through a phase where I thought I had too many and let some real good guitars go away that I regret.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.