Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Unsolicited Advice: Join a Band!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Robert H., Nov 12, 2017.

1. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    Like so many players here - I have spent most of my playing time alone, home, playing on my own. But periodically I play with friends, in a band, or with a community college Jazz Band Class. The fun level increases by a factor 10. The incentive to play, learn, improve goes way up too. And your playing improves noticeably. It’s worth the push - find a friend, 3 friends, a class, group, band - whatever. But the rewards are huge and you’ll love your guitar even more.

2. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    Portland, OR
    "A night on the bandstand is worth a month in the practice room" -- Bill Frisell

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I'll also add- you'll not only learn a ton more about playing, but about tone and your gear, what works and what doesn't.

I don't care how well somebody plays, or how much money they've spent. If they don't play live regularly I do not trust their assessments of guitars, amps, pedals, etc.

Tones and gear that work great at home or in a hobby studio sometimes translate great live. Many times, they do not.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017

5. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    My only complaint about playing out is that I didn't take advantage of my 20's when I could have played every night of the week.

dr_tom, Slip Kid, Obsessed and 3 others like this.

6. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2013
    Luna Louisiana
    I've been in a garage band for years. Just jamming different people playing different instruments. It was fun. About 2 years ago we decided to play out. First of all it's addictive secondly you learn to listen. You have to pay attention to not only what you're doing but everyone else as well. As a singer you hear everyone's mistakes an they hear yours. The other band members have saved me from several embarrassing moments cause they saw my mistake coming an covered it until I got back on track. I believe you only get that experience playing to a live audience. Best thing we ever did was start playing gigs.

7. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    Another benefit - playing with others forces you to learn complete songs - chords, melody, maybe even a solo.

Jakedog likes this.

8. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    At least for me, the GAS drops enormously, too!

Robert H., Sconnie, RomanS and 4 others like this.

9. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Amen...I started learning the guitar for the sole purpose of playing in a band. To this day, I could care less about playing at home. I get bored almost to tears after 45 minutes. I only do it to know what I need to know to gig.

For me, it's all about making music with others. There's magic in what it takes for a handful of people to play a song well together. If you've never done it, you'll never quite understand it. It's knowing your stuff..and listening and cooperation and collaboration with a certain amount of frustration in the mix.

I've played in bands for half a century now. Sometimes, I think maybe I should move on. Then, I realize I love to play guitar and I'm not sure I would if I wasn't standing along side some other musicians on a stage somewhere.

10. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2011
    Nederland, CO
    Now that I'm regularly playing with others, I am in full agreement. The problem I find is getting good enough to feel like I can participate in addition to _finding_ others to play with.

I noted it in another thread but a guy at work loves playing drums and is a little frustrated at his church drumming (can't really _play_ :) ). He's loving getting in with me and playing great fun stuff.

We had a bass player who'd only make once a month, if that. Three weeks back I snagged one of my coworkers, "you look like a bass player, what to play bass?" :) He said he'd played Guitar Hero and wanted to learn an instrument. I had him come over to my place on Saturday, handed him my second bass, plugged him in to Rocksmith, and away he went. He's been coming out every Sunday since then. He's looking for Rocksmith on sale and I'll loan him my bass until he gets kitted out. But he's really having fun and we're enjoying it more because we have a bass player who's regular :)

With all this work, moving stuff around in the music room, getting it organized and efficient, it's been a lot of fun for me as well and I'm feeling a lot more confident that I can play with others and not be a drag or drone.

Carl

Jakedog likes this.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    It was the best thing for me too. I learned instantly how pathetic my timing was and have worked on that aspect ever since. Playing with great singers is the surprising ultimate for me. I'm in recording mode now, but geez, just thinking about gigging again urges me to go seek out another group.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

12. beagle

beagle Tele-Holic

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    And once you have a band, you can post here asking what to do with the drunken bass player who keeps hitting on the drummer and...

Jakedog likes this.

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    My only complaint/regret is not being in a band in my 20s and 30s when myself and my band-members were not crank-asses in our 50s.

In the 10 years we’ve been together, the disagreements both musical and schedule-wise, have grown from fairly constant to almost unbearable.

For anybody older than 50 ? I would recommend one of those Trio band in a box or Beat buddy pedals over being in a band any day...

14. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    One group I play with is made up of me and then four high-school friends about 20 years older than me. I'd say your experience isn't unique. They are always squabbling.

15. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Oh man I almost forgot. If there is not a definite leader/someone who has veto power for decisions? Also known as a bandleader?

Run screaming in the other direction.

Band by committee does not work.

Once more for emphasis: band by committee does not work .

ac15, basher, Jakedog and 1 other person like this.

16. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Enjoyed reading all the comments on this.

Closest experience I can relate with is bike racing. When I did my first race I was amazed at how intensified the experience of riding a bike became. And if I thought just riding put me in the moment, racing magnified that by tenfold.

I just hope to get good enough to be able to jam with others some day. Actually performing is something I can't ever imagine being able to do.

I'm awed by those of you who can do it.

Anybody looking for a tambourinist? Who can't sing? And is not pretty?

17. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I have been trying for months to get something together. The last guys I spoke with wanted to get together one weekend and a few of us actually did (drummer, singer, & me). But it was short lived as I haven't heard from anyone since. I followed up to see when we can jam again and was ignored, so I moved on.

Shortly after that, I was contacted by another individual who only seemed to be interested in bragging about his gigging experience. He also shared his vision for a group which did not line up with mine. I'm more of a casual player and this guy wanted to go on tour so I had to walk away from that before it even started.

I just want to jam out. Why is that so difficult to do?

18. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Play songs. I find it’s much more fun than “jamming out”.

A lot more fun to listen to as well.

Just listen to the Jam On channel on Sirius XM for proof of that :eek:

ac15 likes this.

19. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    Lol! Maybe it's you. :eek: :D

20. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Yep, playing in a band is the best. If only I could get rid of all those other annoying people.

ac15 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.