Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Unmasking of a Blackguard

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by JohnnyZ, Apr 29, 2016.

1. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    It was really easy to make. I got a 4' piece of finished Maple (5 inches wide by 3/4 inches thick) and used an online site to find the fret spacing for a 5.33' long 21-fret guitar. I used silver car detailing tape and black vinyl dots that I got on Amazon. I then used spray matte clear coat to seal it up. Three sets of brass screws hold it to the studs in the wall and two string swings hold my guitars. This is the first time someone on TDPRI wanted to see pictures of my guitar wall mounts rather than of the Blackguard!

The board was used to spread the weight across the wall and allow two string swings to mount while not lined up on the studs:
    [​IMG]

And here it is with guitars hanging:
    [​IMG]

I should have designed it for more than two guitars. At the time I didn't know I would win one of Paul Gilbert's personal guitars or that I would end up buying a Les Paul.

Twisted Kerle likes this.

2. detour

detour TDPRI Member

Thanks for posting that. It's really great! And realistically, I can have one of THOSE... the black guard is a whole other story

3. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    Having had access to the Blackguard my whole life, I have to admit that the AV52 I have now is a whole lot easier for a beginner like me to play. That's an inexpensive (or at least less expensive) way to add a Blackguard.

And I'm not afraid to work on the AV52 myself. I replaced the stock saddles with Rutter compensated ones and went from 10s down to 9s and took an eighth of a turn out of the truss rod myself. I would never have done any of that on the '53. I think I've done some tinkering with all five of my guitars now, and all I ever did myself on the Blackguard in the last 20 years was change the strings and replace the flowerguard with a Callaham blackguard.

4. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2008
    45 south
    Ultra cool thread, enjoyed it

5. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Woah, you sold it because you "can't do it justice?" Hmmmm, being a vintage lover for decades and being a player down here in Nashville no less rest assured...VERY FEW blackguards in the hands of heavy players. And, when they are, often the guy has 100+ other "holy grail" guitars anyways :lol: Even Redd has sold off at least one that I know of :(

I hope you got a fair price! It was a beauty with provenance. I myself just lucked into a '61 Sheraton and I assure you I'll show the lady around town, but luckily for me no one cares much for them, it's a bit modded and Clapton never played one so the value isn't too crazy :)

It's neat you kept the guard.

6. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    I got a great deal... I traded it for a Frontman plus a Squier Strat with a gig bag! Kidding. The guitar was appraised, so we knew a fair price and went up a little bit from there. The buyer is here on TDPRI and also has a couple of other Blackguards (not sure what % original those two are). I just got back from seeing him in Nashville, and while we were in Gruhn's he mentioned a couple of other older guitars he has, but I think his passion is the Blackguard. We also swung by Carter Vintage and he showed me a pristine '53 there that had an asking price more than 2.5x what mine was worth.

On Facebook I have already seen pictures of him on stage with some well known country artists using this guitar (I haven't asked him yet, but its way lighter in color than his other two so I'm pretty sure he's using this one now).

Twisted Kerle likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.