Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Unmasking of a Blackguard

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by JohnnyZ, Apr 29, 2016.

1. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    It was really easy to make. I got a 4' piece of finished Maple (5 inches wide by 3/4 inches thick) and used an online site to find the fret spacing for a 5.33' long 21-fret guitar. I used silver car detailing tape and black vinyl dots that I got on Amazon. I then used spray matte clear coat to seal it up. Three sets of brass screws hold it to the studs in the wall and two string swings hold my guitars. This is the first time someone on TDPRI wanted to see pictures of my guitar wall mounts rather than of the Blackguard!

The board was used to spread the weight across the wall and allow two string swings to mount while not lined up on the studs:
    [​IMG]

And here it is with guitars hanging:
    [​IMG]

I should have designed it for more than two guitars. At the time I didn't know I would win one of Paul Gilbert's personal guitars or that I would end up buying a Les Paul.

Twisted Kerle likes this.

2. detour

detour TDPRI Member

Thanks for posting that. It's really great! And realistically, I can have one of THOSE... the black guard is a whole other story

3. JohnnyZ

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    Having had access to the Blackguard my whole life, I have to admit that the AV52 I have now is a whole lot easier for a beginner like me to play. That's an inexpensive (or at least less expensive) way to add a Blackguard.

And I'm not afraid to work on the AV52 myself. I replaced the stock saddles with Rutter compensated ones and went from 10s down to 9s and took an eighth of a turn out of the truss rod myself. I would never have done any of that on the '53. I think I've done some tinkering with all five of my guitars now, and all I ever did myself on the Blackguard in the last 20 years was change the strings and replace the flowerguard with a Callaham blackguard.

4. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2008
    45 south
    Ultra cool thread, enjoyed it

5. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Woah, you sold it because you "can't do it justice?" Hmmmm, being a vintage lover for decades and being a player down here in Nashville no less rest assured...VERY FEW blackguards in the hands of heavy players. And, when they are, often the guy has 100+ other "holy grail" guitars anyways :lol: Even Redd has sold off at least one that I know of :(

I hope you got a fair price! It was a beauty with provenance. I myself just lucked into a '61 Sheraton and I assure you I'll show the lady around town, but luckily for me no one cares much for them, it's a bit modded and Clapton never played one so the value isn't too crazy :)

It's neat you kept the guard.

6. JohnnyZ

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    I got a great deal... I traded it for a Frontman plus a Squier Strat with a gig bag! Kidding. The guitar was appraised, so we knew a fair price and went up a little bit from there. The buyer is here on TDPRI and also has a couple of other Blackguards (not sure what % original those two are). I just got back from seeing him in Nashville, and while we were in Gruhn's he mentioned a couple of other older guitars he has, but I think his passion is the Blackguard. We also swung by Carter Vintage and he showed me a pristine '53 there that had an asking price more than 2.5x what mine was worth.

On Facebook I have already seen pictures of him on stage with some well known country artists using this guitar (I haven't asked him yet, but its way lighter in color than his other two so I'm pretty sure he's using this one now).

Twisted Kerle likes this.

7. JohnnyZ

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    Well, the story of 4392 isn't over. Last weekend I got to go back to Nashville to see my Dad's Blackguard debut at the Grand Ole Opry. Here is a picture of the guitar, reunited with its flower-guard, on "The Circle" center-stage at the Opry. I'd like to thank Photobucket for totally destroying this thread's pictures of my old Blackguard. This latest one is on Flickr, which will hopefully stay around but links to them don't seem to do thumbnails.

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    If you do care to revive the photos, you could do a summary post (since old posts cannot be edited), and include links from postimage.org. Free and easy. Like this:

[​IMG]

Alternatively, you can leave them on your computer, and simply drag the files into your post. This works because TDPRI allows it. Not all places do.

jazzmaster90150 likes this.

9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Please repost! I’d love to see more pics of 4392!

10. JohnnyZ

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    I'll have to try to get a bunch of pictures in roughly chronological order again. I'll try the postimage.org site.

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I'd sure like to see all the pictures. This is kind of a guitar of lore around here.

12. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Actually, since you're posting on TDPRI, the absolute best choice is to drop them right into the post. That way they're uploaded and stored on TDPRI servers. Postimage.org is probably fine. But it is free. We all thought photobucket was fine a few years ago, too.

I'm pretty sure TDPRI plans to keep hosting our uploaded photos for as long as they're here. You could always ask the mods if you're concerned.

Just sayin'.

n__B likes this.

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Moosie, I thought the ability to drop straight from one’s computer into a post here was lost when the format changed sometime back? If not, can you instruct on how to do it these days? Much appreciation...

14. JohnnyZ

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    I tested out the drag & drop option in the testing area and it seems to be working. Here are some of the pictures from earlier in the thread:

IMG_0084.jpg IMG_0102.jpg Guitar appraisal.png IMG_0793.jpg

1. The guitar with its full-face flower guard in its custom case.
    2. The color of the wood under the flower guard. The outline of the original black pick guard is even lighter.
    3. Pictures from the appraisal showing the date on the neck and neck pocket, plus the all-original wiring.
    4. Getting ready to perform with #4392 at the Grand Ole Opry. I don't think there is enough detail to give away the new owner. I'll let him decide if he wants to give his identity out.

Redd Volkaert and moosie like this.

15. JohnnyZ

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    IMG_0715.JPG IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0098.JPG IMG_0790.jpg IMG_0789.jpg

1. Swapped the flower guard for a Callaham reproduction vintage guard.
    2. Closeup of the body. You can see the color, the grain, and the extra screw holes from the flower guard.
    3. The back of the guitar has yellowed like many other Blackguards. Still not as yellow as my butterscotch AV52!
    4. When I walked into dressing room #4 at the Grand Ole Opry, #4392 was just sitting there on top of the piano.
    5. For those who have been on the backstage tour of the Opry, the door to dressing room #4. This is the dressing room given to all first-time performers at the Opry.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    n__B, Redd Volkaert and moosie like this.

16. JohnnyZ

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    Here are the pictures of my dad playing his Blackguard back in the day.

Dad with 4392.jpg Dads band 1.jpg Dads band 2.jpg Dads band 3.jpg

Let me know if there were other pictures from earlier in the thread that I should re-post.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Where is that Gibson amp these days??

18. JohnnyZ

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    I ended up later selling it to the same guy so that he has the set, along with copies of all of the old pictures of my dad with the guitar and amp. It has been replaced by one of the old-style Monoprice 15W tube amps, which is a little more sensible for in-home use!

Wally likes this.

19. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Hey @Wally,

It's literally drag n drop. In your Finder or File Explorer, or whatever tool you use to see the files in your folders / directories, grab one or a few with a mouse. Click and hold, and drag them to the window where your post is open. Let go. You'll see the photos appear as thumbnails below your post edit window. Then, place your cursor where you want the photo to appear in the post - beginning, end, perhaps in between paragraphs. Click the Thumbnail or Full Image button(s), and boom, you'll see the photo appear in the text.

Someone said there's a limit of five pics per post, but I've dropped quite a few more than that. Maybe it has to do with overall file size / resolution.

When you click the Full Image button, it's big, like my screenshot here.

When you click the Thumbnail button, it's a smaller image in the text, BUT, the reader can click on it to see it full size.

Finally, you don't have to place them in the text at all. The reader will see them as attachments below the post, and can click on those as well.

I've done this with a couple other random photos I had on my computer.

For someone wondering why we're talking about this:

You can still paste url links into the "picture" button thingie, but that's hosted elsewhere, like photobucket, and can go away. Unless something real bad happens with TDPRI, I'm thinking drag/drop ties these pics to this post forever. Which is exactly what we want for our archival quality stuff, like this, and build threads and the like.

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 10.37.06 PM.png

20171031_141506.jpg

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.