Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Unmasking of a Blackguard

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by JohnnyZ, Apr 29, 2016.

1. ripgtr

ripgtr Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I love the look with the black pickguard on it, but if it were mine, I would have left the rose one on.
    Very different and it looks great. I would have dug playing this in a country band. :)

Gibson and robt57 like this.

2. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    I grew up with this guitar. When I was 11-12 my dad wanted to teach me to play, but being 11-12 there was no way I was going to play a guitar with flowers! That dislike probably stuck with me. Once I found out that the flower guard wasn't original and especially when I found out it wasn't even unique, I wanted to bring it back to its original look!

Piggy Stu, Gibson, Bluebird and 3 others like this.

3. TheTransient

TheTransient Tele-Holic

^that memory is why you should frame that flower guard and hang it on the wall. It's as old as the guitar is, and Redd Volkeart owns what is possibly the only other one in existence. That thing is worth holding on to.

Gibson and Twisted Kerle like this.

4. fugazi39

fugazi39 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2016
    West Michigan
    That guitar is absolutely beautiful. Wow.

5. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    That's exactly what I'm going to do with it. I went in the opposite direction from Twisted Kerle and made the hard decision to sell my Blackguard. I can't do it justice as pretty much a beginner, so it went to a good home where it can be in the limelight again down in (where else) Nashville. Part of the deal is a replacement modern repro Nash T-52 which in their lightly relic'ed version looks pretty close to my old '53. And with it not being an original, I am free to tinker with it without destroying a collectable's value (I can try out compensated or steel saddles if I want to experiment). My other option was to hide it away in its case and bring it out once in a blue moon to record a video exchange for my guitar school. Since all of the other students are Paul Gilbert shredder wanna-be's, they just see an old beat up guitar... if I switched to Guthrie Trapp's school I suppose I would get a different reaction!

So I guess this will be the end of my journey in this thread. I'm sure there will be some replies on why I made the right/wrong decision, but in the end I'm sure my dad would be happier that I am finally learning how to play than he would be that I kept the guitar. 2016 has been a pretty wild ride for me, and I'm hoping the Nash and the new Les Paul Classic Gold Top that I just bought will continue that ride!

Gibson likes this.

6. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Not like you can't put it back on later anyways.

7. TheTransient

TheTransient Tele-Holic

If you are selling the 53, you should put together another tele to put the faceplate on. Thatd be even better than framing it

8. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    We can't tell you what the right or wrong call was for you. I can say that you'll likely regret selling it, for the sentimental value, at some point down the road.

9. twang junkie

twang junkie TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2013
    london
    What a beautiful tele, you are very lucky to own it and even luckier that your Dad played it too, that is a family relic to be treasured, it must give you a lot of pride and pleasure

10. Tedzo

Tedzo TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Georgetown, Ca
    I got a kick from the photo of your Dad's band. Looks like Herb Tarlek from WKRP loaned them some of his finest jackets.
    Great choice on the new pick guard....there's nothing like that blackguard look....

Rock the house, thanks, Tedzo

Neck Date.jpg IMG_6861.JPG

11. Grodad

Grodad TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Qld
    I'm a memory guy, and would keep anything valuable or not that would remind me of my Dad, still that's just me, were all different. Hope you feel the same way in a few years.....that's a rare find with a great story.

Gibson and Twisted Kerle like this.

12. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    My dad and the Blackguard made it into the latest issue of Fretboard Journal. Andrew Bingham at Decoboom is recreating the flowerguard for the new owner since I didn't want to sell mine.

Gibson, moosie, robt57 and 1 other person like this.

13. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I contacted andrew trying to source some celluloid & was hopeful when he sent me sample pics that he said he was able to obtain. His supplier couldn't offer I guess. I found some myself but he never responded after that. I'm glad he's busy & can get that covered for you. It looks great. I wish we could get a background on it.

How did Redd obtain his I wonder?

14. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    He mentions where he got his earlier in this thread.

bender66 likes this.

15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for sharing, I personally LUV that full guard myself.
    I may just have to make something like this out of the Lexan I make clear guards from.

From the above link:

[​IMG]

Gibson likes this.

16. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Very cool. So, @JohnnyZ, how did it work? You loaned the pickguard to Andrew, so he could make a replica for the new owner? If so, very classy.

17. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten how old this thread is.

18. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    I did. We haven't seen the final product yet. Andrew said he has some ideas for a regular sized guard themed on that flowerguard that he wants to add to his catalog. If so, I might have to get one for my AV52.

19. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Huh. I could see one of those on my AV58...

20. detour

detour TDPRI Member

Slightly off topic (though I love the pick guard!): I really like that guitar wall hanger you have (made?). I'd like to try and make one myself and was wondering if you could post (or send) any more pictures.

~ eric

Twisted Kerle likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.