Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Unmasking of a Blackguard

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by JohnnyZ, Apr 29, 2016.

1. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    Is this what you are looking for? My top edge does seem to have a much smaller radius on the corner... probably equal to the one on the bottom edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Yeah, thanks. #$&@% that's pretty...
    How did those slinky strings treat ya?

3. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    Once I got them stretched out they sounded fine. I forgot how much fun it is to put strings on a guitar with open ended tuning pegs. I ended up putting the first wind over the string coming in from the nut then going below for the last wind or two so that the string wouldn't slide off while I was tightening everything. I'm just getting back into playing after a long layoff, so my re-stringing was a little out of practice! Only the A string came out a little messy, but not too bad.

I put on the all-nickel ones, since they are supposed to cause less fret wear... and you and I both know about fret wear on a 60+ year old guitar! It's probably time to re-string the Strat, too. It should go a little smoother since it has modern tuning pegs with a hole through them, plus I just did the Tele.

Twisted Kerle likes this.

4. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    I think that's just how they looked when new. The darker yellow you see on blackguards and relic'd reissues comes from UV aging the lacquer. Since mine had a full-face guard protecting it from UV, it never yellowed. The back of the guitar did yellow and shows what the front would have looked like if exposed.

songtalk likes this.

5. saxosim

saxosim Tele-Meister

Jul 3, 2013
    North East, England
    An amazing tele thanks for sharing. So lucky owning a peice of history like this. It's great to see what the original colour would have most certainly have been too. Enjoy it :)

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Nice guitar after the "flowerguard" was replaced ( although I couldn't
    sleep night's with it hanging on a wall).
    One serious question: why string it with such light strings?
    I thought the strings in the old days were thicker and had a wound G.
    I know that here in 1969 that was still the case as to what was available.

So, why such slinky strings ? Of course it's your choice in a free society
    but it would be period correct to use a heavier gauge?

(Only the other day I saw the old brand Black Diamond in a heavier gauge with a wound G- that's all we could get here till the 70's).

BTW that wood looks beautiful.:)

7. J Obeast

J Obeast TDPRI Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Loss Angelees
    I like the custom pickguard and wonder what it's made of. Where did your dad play? Someplace in the Southwest? Love that mid-century vibe.

8. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    I keep the Strat on the wall at night... the Tele is only up there under supervision! I did have heavier strings on it since I couldn't get it to tune properly with the light gauge strings, but when I had it appraised I also had it setup and thought Fenders always used 9's. So I had it setup for the lighter gauge. If the heavier strings were period correct, that would explain why I needed the heavier strings before. For now I will just keep it the same as the Strat with 9's so I only have to keep one gauge of strings around. If I end up getting a Les Paul or SG I'll need the heavier strings anyway and can research what the Tele would have used back in the day. My dad did keep some old Gibson strings in the case, I'll check what gauge they were.

9. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    I think it's clear Lucite with the flowers either molded in or etched out underneath and then painted from the underside. My dad just played in New England, but his godfather who had the guitar first did tour around the country and probably got the guard somewhere in the Southwest.

10. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    [​IMG]
    Here are the strings that gpa put on his NoCaster. My dad usually went with flat rounds on his guitar.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I still ask why such slinky strings? 9- what?
    I know Keith Richards uses Ernie Ball 9-? on Macawber.
    Is that and the amp you have going to give you some kind of results?
    Genuine enquiry- no nastiness intended.o_O

12. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA

13. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Thanks for the post and pictures, that's a really cool guitar with some interesting history, I like it both ways, and the cool thing is you can still use it both ways.
    I don't know if it was already posted, but is it all original, pickups, pots, switch? frets? if it was played a lot I'd imagine it's had a refret at some point?

14. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    All original except the pick guard. There is wear on some frets, but not enough to do any work on them. The pickups still measure in spec and the pots and switch are still good. It was played a lot in its early days, but not in the last 50 years or so.

The only downside to swapping the pick guards is needing to take the strings off since the Roseguard completely surrounds the bridge. So I have to make a decision when I'm ready to switch strings and live with it until I am ready to switch strings again!

15. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    Fed Ex brought me a new guitar today. Not a Fender, but the natural wood finish complements the Tele. It is Paul Gilbert's Ibanez PGM80P that he used on the last Mr. Big tour.

[​IMG]

It came with one of Paul's signature doodle letters.

[​IMG]

2 Headed Goat, Gibson, baiff and 6 others like this.

16. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2012
    east side
    Crazy cool post and cool Iby at the end what's next i can't wait! nice man

17. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    I'm curious about the deep v-groove nut slots on this guitar, compared to the normal/modern narrow slots? Was this guitar nut cut unique or all of them up to some model year were wider?

Great story and history with this guitar.

18. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    That was a "misunderstanding" when I had the guitar appraised and setup in April. I didn't want them to make any aggressive changes like that, but what's done is done. The slots were narrow before that. On the plus side, this allowed them to set the action up really low. On the minus side, I am not a good enough player yet to take advantage of the low action!

19. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    I actually think the deep v-grooves look good and can be done with different nut files than the typical fare.
    Did the shop tech have a name for this style of cut vs the narrow slot?

20. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    There are still narrow slots at the bottom of the individual cutouts on the high strings, although they are specific for the 9s I had put on (trying to slow fret wear every way I can). I had been running with 10s, so the nut might have needed some filling in if left at the original height.

No idea on a name for this technique.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.