Unknown

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Missing Link, May 13, 2019.

1. Missing Link

Missing Link Tele-Meister

A friend gave me what looks to be a LP copy guitar today that has a name of Arbor. Its a name I have heard before but really know nothing about them or the line of guitars. This has no numbers just the name plate. I am going to use it as a Frankenstein build as the neck is solid as is the body and my friend has all the parts that came off the guitar so it will be a restore of sorts but with what feels good to make it jump. In the mean time any one know anything about this model, the headstock is not commonly found as I have searched the internet.
    The guitar was painted primer black so I sanded the primer off the top face to see if the wood is good for finishing and it is. Has white binding and was a cream color at one time.

Thanks

Attached Files:

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  2. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Had an arbor explorer. Think they're an indonesian brand. They're great for beater guitars and ran the explorer to the ground and traded it for an indio les paul.

3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

The whole thing screams 70s/80s 'Made in Japan'...

I found this quote on another forum:

"Arbor guitars were founded in 1984 in Osaka, Japan by an ex-Ibanez president and an ex-Yamaha manager. A factory was purchased in Hamamatsu, Japan where guitars were produced from 1984-1986. They were forced to sell the company in the 3rd year of production due to lawsuits that were immediately filed by both Fender and Gibson, jointly. Production was moved to Korea by the new owners."

So could be Korean.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I had an Arbor S type back in the 80's. I bought it because it had a single bridge position EMG humbucker and a locking Kahler tremolo system.
    Unfortunately, it had a plywood body that sounded like a$$. Low gain was okay, but high gain became a mess. Some folks love those plywood slab guitars, but I never liked them

It was a good guitar to learn on and I learned a lot about guitar setups,tweaking, modding and coaxing a amp. All trying to make that guitar sound right. Sold it on later.

Hope yours does better and sounds good to you.

StrangerNY likes this.
  5. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've never had an Arbor, but that's a cool gift! A true "lawsuit" guitar!

6. Missing Link

I was hoping the head stock would positively date it were it may of came from as it is the only part of the guitar that has it's own reference, as the rest of the body looks like one of those on-line build kit bodies.
    All the Arbor one I see on line do not have a headstock like this one. It is heavy and the truss rod end In the neck looks like a 10mm hex, very large.
    Hate to change this guitars looks from something that should stay as is. As soon as I see the rests of the guitars parts as the bridge, knobs, pots, pick-up I will decide what goes and what stays. I think it will look good with hand rubbed stain oil. Still not sure what the surface wood is. Yeah I hope it has a good sound when done.
    Thanks for the information guys.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  7. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

Arbor made a Gretsch style jazz box. It was great quality. That is all I know about Arbor.

8. Missing Link

I put it up next to my LP custom and was impressed how well all the body cavities and controls match up to each other plus the body sizes. Other than the neck is a bolt on I would think is a good copy of a LP body. In a few days it will have a new pure white paint job on the body to come somewhat close to the aged white neck (now tinted from age) that is near perfect. The binding is cracked from age so I filled the cracks and sanded, so minus the binding. Not a high end model but a good practice platform to learn some renovation skills.
    Still not sure if its a Japan or Korean model

DL154985.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  9. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These look cool. Quality who really knows?

10. Missing Link

Love that last guitar. Thanks for the information and photos. I found out that a Company in I believe NC brings them into the US for sales. Has many other brands also they sell mostly the no names. I read a post were a gent has an Arbor guitar since he started playing and will not sell it as it plays to good. Anyone can turn a $100 guitar into something very playable, just hope this one works out. Cheers, thank again.

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

"Arbor guitars were founded in 1984 in Osaka, Japan by an ex-Ibanez president and an ex-Yamaha manager. A factory was purchased in Hamamatsu, Japan where guitars were produced from 1984-1986.Jun 5, 2008

"Arbor guitars were founded in 1984 in Osaka, Japan by an ex-Ibanez president and an ex-Yamaha manager. A factory was purchased in Hamamatsu, Japan where guitars were produced from 1984-1986. They were forced to sell the company in the 3rd year of production due to lawsuits that were immediately filed by both Fender and Gibson, jointly. Production was moved to Korea by the new owners."

12. Zepfan

My old Plywood Arbor. upload_2019-5-18_13-24-24.jpeg

13. Missing Link

DL225021.jpg Yes they are plywood as this one is I have. Nerveless I have heard cigar box guitars that sound pretty good so will keep on trucking.
    I have finished the painting of the Arbor with a automotive paint universal white with a clear coat and I have to say that it turned our extremally nice for a cheapo guitar.
    I still have not got the original parts that were on it yet but I am thinking now that it looks so good why not put on some new dressing as in the last picture of the studio LP with new bridge and hot pickups, knobs, pickguard and such and hope it plays just as good as my real Les Paul, just a bit hotter.

DL225024.jpg DL225022.jpg jimmy-page-les-paul-color-studio-alpine-white-image-1-highlight-ideas-for-dark-hair.jpg

Paul in Colorado, Zepfan and dannew02 like this.
  14. Zepfan

CBG's have their own unique tone and all made of ply except the neck and most of them are neck through, so the neck and bridge placement has a lot to do with that tone. Some plywood is made better than others too. Today's plywood that's available has a lot to offer compared to the ply of yesterday. I'm not saying that all ply is bad, it was just usually bad to my ears. If you like the tone your getting, that's all that matters.;)

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I sold those from 1982-1985.

From China and sold by a broker in the Midwest. We bought 12 at a time and we could offer suggestions as to what we wanted and we usually got 2/3 what we wanted. They were heavy, colorful, playable and back then we could sell them at $199 and make about $70 on each. It was the 80's. We had LP and Strat knock offs, V knock offs, Explorer knock offs and there was a Steinburger knock off that I actually bought because I thought it looked really cool. They had crazy metallic and interesting colors (again - 80's). The sides were generally black no matter the top color because many were two sheets of 3/4 plywood glued together, cut and routed. You could see the plywood ridges on the sides of some models if they didn't heavily paint the sides. There were many pointy models that teen rockers adored. The volume deals from Arbor were remarkable. We would buy a pallet assortment at Christmas (and we couldn't make any item choices) at $100 each. I think we did a $170 Christmas deal.

You have a very nice one. You have a definite "grown up" oriented model. Those were the days. Teenagers dragging mom and dad into the store.

Here's the Arbor Stiletto Bass - 80's graphics (mine was black).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Teenage dream.....many were more like this. I remember these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very cool! Rock that thing and watch reruns of Knight Rider!

Bassman8 and dannew02 like this.
  16. Missing Link

That is a very cool bit of history. Glad folks are willing to put a little focus on the passed when it comes to the unknown. I did see the stack of ply on from the side when sanding down for paint. They must of dipped the complete guitar body in a sealer also as there was no way I was going to be able to stain the wood.
    I Have to admit that I saw a taste of that Knight Rider show on the old movie channel, pretty sad :eek:.
    Thanks

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Could be a neck from another model.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cool guitar though. Body could be another brand.

18. Missing Link

Not sure about that but I do know that a telecaster 22 fret squire neck fits just fine. So it does take other necks o the body.

19. Missing Link

Well so far it's taking shape just need to take a bit more time and trim it out and give it a try.

DL315030.jpg

FenderGyrl and dannew02 like this.
  20. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I dig those speed knobs! Did they come with the guitar or did you buy them somewhere?

- D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.