Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Univox Les Paul.....a really nice guitar!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by J. Hayes, Jun 18, 2010.

1. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I picked up this beauty a few years ago for small bucks at a yard sale and it's one fine guitar. It's a Les Paul copy, made in Japan, with the name "UNIVOX" inlaid on the headstock. It has gold hardware and a maple fretboard. I rewired it so only the top two knobs are a master volume and tone control. The action on this guitar is incredible and it has a very nice usable tone. It's a little more bassy than my Gibson LP(s) but that's OK as it works super as a rock axe with a distortion unit. The middle switch position is great for country style flatpickin' or Travis/Atkins stuff. I added the LP vibrato unit from Stewart McDonald a couple of years ago and it's works well along the lines of a Bigsby. I've seen this same guitar a couple of times over the years with different brand names. A local black blues player uses one of these with the name "AIMS" on it. Anyone out there every seen or tried one of these? It's a very heavy guitar with lots of sustain even though it has a bolt on neck............Here's a couple of shots....JH in Va.

Attached Files:

2. jrich99

jrich99 Tele-Afflicted

Very cool. Lawsuit era probably? I like it.

3. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

i'm diggin' the maple fretboard and black block inlays. a very cool looking guitar

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

I had that guitar in 1978 (sans your cool add-on trem bar). My first electric. I played it for years in northern NJ at keg parties through a black face deluxe reverb. I leant it to a "friend" in college in 1981 and was stolen to Puerto Rico. I still hate you Ricky Palacios!!!

boo-hoo.....sniff-sniff....

:eek:(

thank you for the memory.

6. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

my friend has a red one ... it has a rosewood board ... it was in a fire and all the board inlays melted away ... he still plays it ... it is the only Les Paul i have ever seen with a scalloped board ...

7. Brian L

Brian L Tele-Meister

My friend had one in the seventies as well. I really liked it, the action was incredible. It was red with a rosewood fretboard.

He was heading back to South Dakota with a friend and got rear-ended by a drunk driver, totaled the car, the guitar, and the passenger spent many weeks in the hospital with a broken neck.

8. Partscaster2010

Partscaster2010 Tele-Meister

Don't see those much anymore. Same goes for a good number of Japanese L.P. copies from the 70's. Back in the late 80's I used to have a a near mint Les Paul Custom copy bought from a yard sale for $25 until I thrashed it that is. Univox, Hohner, Greco, older Ibanez, even Memphis, etc...yeah they're getting to be a rare bread.

9. Gareth John

Gareth John Tele-Afflicted

That looks really cool. I only know the Univox brand because of the Kurt Cobain connection, he played the mosrite copy. I have a 70's Japanese Columbus Les Paul, also produced under other names. It's plywood, has single coils under the covers and a bolt on neck. The neck pocked it massive but saying all that it actually sounds and feels pretty good to play. That Univox Les Paul looks pretty cool. I wonder if it was natural from day one or painted black like a custom. I like the vibrato, looks very cool.

10. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

Somebody found one at a yardsale (body/neck only no electronics, etc) and gave it to my dad...this one was cherry sunburst however. I think it had a broken trussrod if I remeber correctly?

He threw it away...I got a REALLY cheap hondo II les paul copy at the same time from another yardsale and was going to put those guts into the univox. Would have made a much cooler guitar....oh well:rolleyes:

11. Beelz

Beelz TDPRI Member

I have a black one. Bought it at a pawn shop in '91 and have no idea what year it was made. It has the trapezoid inlays.
    It wasn't in the best of shapes, but It held together. I changed the keys 'cos they wouldn't stay in tune in time to strike a chord. There was no pickguard or nameplate (you know the pickguard-like thing that hides the trussrod!) So I got black ones. The pickups were ok, I guess, 'cos they're still on it, but I changed their casings from beige to black. I also replaced the control pots and plastic buttons. Two of 'em couldn't hold a button 'cos half the metal piece was gone, and they were all terribly dirty and noisy. I also went with black buttons. Oh, and I changed the pup selection switch too!

But I did a terrible job of rewiring the whole thing, since the original switch had 9 places to solder wires to, as opposed to the one I got that had only 5! I did the best I could, but I now have no way of telling which button does what since I have sound coming out in any configuration, lol!

Anyway, a few years later in honour of Cobain, I put a Nirvana In Utero decal on top where the Univox logo is supposed to go 'cos I had originally wiped it off when I first cleaned the guitar! And I used nail polish to fix the paint job! I really like the way it looks. But the frets are pretty worn out and I don't think it diserves a new fret job! I rarely use it. The only time it came handy was when I was jamming out Sabbath tunes with friends and needed a guitar to be standard tuning for the songs off the first two records.

12. telepathetic

telepathetic Tele-Afflicted

Back around 1970 I was playing my cheap little guitar in my room in Plainfield, Connecticut when I heard some kind or loud rock guitar from off in the distance. I jumped on my bike and rode off in search of the sound. About 3/4 mile away I found a guy in a house on Route 12. His name was Mike Sumthinnerother and he had a black Univox Les Paul plugged into a Marshall with a speaker cab like this: [​IMG]
    It was loud and cool and really impressed the hell out of a 15 year old like me.
    About 10 years later I picked up one of them black Univox Les Pauls and had some fun with it before selling it off a couple years later. It's a decent guitar.

13. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity

I had a "Telecaster" in high school (it was my first decent quality electric) that was made by Aims. It was a great guitar, very well made. I think it was made in Japan. This was 1979 or so. Wish I still had it.

I've never seen another Aims guitar. Mine was a blonde/maple neck, and my best friend had a sunburst strat w/maple neck, also Aims. We bought them at the same time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.